Thread: Shift Torque Reduction

Senior Tuner

Shift Torque Reduction

Now that A580 transmission tuning has been available for a while I was wondering the opinion on turning off shift torque reduction with the stock transmission. Any tips on the transmission tuning in general would be greatly appreciated. I am starting with an SRT8 transmission tune by the way.

Tuner in Training
    do NOT do it, these are a clutch to clutch handoff shift and without the torque reduction the trans will not live....

Senior Tuner
    I was thinking that and haven't done it. I was just curious as to others thoughts on it.

Senior Tuner
    As mentioned do not turn it off entirely, though you can raise the pressures a bit via the ramp torque tables, the clutch fill adders, and reduce the upshift torque reduction a bit (~10%). You will not notice any real performance gain versus preserving the transmission longer by making the changes. The stock NAG1 starts to shift sloppy around 500whp or so after a few thousand miles. At this point is where dialing up pressures and cutting back the torque reduction will help it live longer. Once you get above 600whp, its a ticking time bomb and will need upgraded clutches, at which point the factory settings are pretty decent, will allow it to live plenty well, and shift pretty damn good. Making the same aforementioned changes with a built trans can actually shorten shift times and provide some performance gains.

Hope that helps. I discussed killing off torque reduction entirely in my 1000whp+ rated transmission, and my builder said he picked up zero gains from turning if off versus reducing it, and that was coming from a 8 second jeep. Pretty sure he knows his stuff.

Senior Tuner
    Thanks for the info. The only thing I have done on mine is change the part throttle max shift time from 1 to 0.8 seconds. I was afraid to mess with anything else not really knowing how these respond to the changes. It's just my daily driver that I want reliability first on.

I'm not sure if it's just in my head or not but changing the max shift time seemed to get rid of the occasional sloppy part throttle shifts I would get. Not sure what effect this actually made but I thought it would be worth a try.

But...A580 in jk's has at most 265 awhp. In stock shape we only see 190-195 awhp. Do you think it can hurt that little power?