Thread: FG XR6t Automatic model seems to be torque limited

Question FG XR6t Automatic model seems to be torque limited

Hey guys ive tuned a few of the FG XR6t models now. A few of them have been auto models but recently I did one (auto model) that seemed to be limiting the power output. I hadn't come across this before. The car was in very good condition overall with low km's. Just wondering what might have been causing this? It was making the same power on 15-16psi as it was on 13psi (380hp). Beyond 13psi it seemed to hit a wall, the boost would be increased with no power gain.
    It had upgraded valve springs, turbosmart actuator, turbo back exhaust, turbo side intake, upgraded front mount intercooler, upgraded injectors and fuel pump..
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. None of the torque limiting parameters I changed seemed to make any difference.

Advanced Tuner
    As it has been said with similar topic's without being able to see the before & after tune & the log to identify it makes it a bit hard.

But logging what the outputs are doing is going to tell you all the info that will lead you in the right direction... ie; throttle opening, timing, boost etc...

As Grant has said logs go a long way to helping any questions being thrown up but something to be mindful of on the small turbo FG is what's "normal" and what happens when you heatsoak one and the different power gains when and where the boost goes in. The FG XR6T is probably one of the most initially frustrating car's to tune as so many things change along the way you may be thinking are tune related but infact are characteristics of the small turbo platform
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Thanks for the replies guys. I've compared the logs between 13psi and 16psi and all areas that could be reducing the power look ok to me. Throttle angle is the same, timing as expected and boost is as requested. So through the auto the power I have is about right? Another one I did read a bit more power so I guess I was expecting the same which was a little over 400hp

Typical power on the small turbo 283rwkw/380hp to 290ish/400hp off of anywhere from 13-16psi is all very close and obviously no two cars will ever be the same even with identical mods so unless you're 50rwkw off the mark it is what it is if no torque reduction is happening
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Tuner
    Any chance it's blowing out spark?

The fg2+ Falcons have quite a few different torque reductions over the fg1, but mainly down low, are you logging the commanded and actual torque? Spark source? Tourque source?

Advanced Tuner
    Log spark, afr, inlet air temp, coolant temp, torque source, commanded torque, estimated exhaust temp and then do 10 back to back runs getting it hotter and hotter.

Might be pulling timing, might be heat soak. Probably a combination of things.