Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Colorado Factory 5.3L (LH8) to 6.2L (L92) Conversion, Info Gather

Tuner in Training

2009 Colorado Factory 5.3L (LH8) to 6.2L (L92) Conversion, Info Gather

Hello all and thank you in advance for this site and the tremendous support. Being new, I don't have much to bring to the table, yet. I apologize in advance for that.

I recently purchased a 2009 Colorado with a factory 5.3L/E67/4l60e/T42 in it. Runs great, but would like more, so looking at swapping a 6.2L Escalade engine (L92) into it. Also looking to do the 6L80e into the truck also. Was considering to do them separately, but for ease of physical replacement, may do at same time. Unsure if I want to debug 2 new sytems at once though. Open to opinions.

I have researched several hours per day already, and have found some conflicting info. Because this is my daily driver, and I want to retain the stock setup as a standby on the shelf, I am looking to simply begin with a stock factory calibration for the 6.2L to get it up and driving quick. Want it to work same as stock, no mods yet.

Funds are set aside, and I am ready to purchase all required, but I want to do my homework first to not make incorrect choices. I do have a GM Tech 2 scan tool, GM MDI interface and subscription, Horiba 2 channel wide-band senors, AllDataPro subscription, and an all climate 2 wheel drive EPA certified 48" roller chassis dyno (future tuning). Please check my thinking, but my questions are:

What E67 p/n (year?) controller, operating system, and calibration would be needed to run the L92 in stock configuration? I will have to add VVT control wires in my vehicle harness since my 2009 5.3L (LH8) does not have it. I believe all other engine wiring should be 100% carry-over compatible? I don't think an E67 ever ran an L92 from GM?? Do I have to program my VIN into it? I want to remove my stock factory E67 and keep it with the removed 5.3L, should I ever need to revert back to it quickly. Looking to swap the engine, swap the E67, turn the key, and everything works, if possible. Would even consider to pay anybody here to setup the ECU ahead of time.

On either a combined or separate note (and belongs in separate thread dept, really), same with the transmission, converting from 4L60e to 6L80e. The 6L80e controller is internal, what needs to be changed in the E67 to accommodate this change? I see some vendors selling the E67 with a conversion harness, but I already have the E67 plus obtaining another for the 6.2L, so..... It seems the conversion kits really just pass through power, ground, stop lamp, park/neutral, and CAN?

Appears best to select a 2009 engine, trans, and E67?

Again, thank you in advance for the help. If I missed already published threads specific about this, I apologize and simply point the direction. The V8
    Colorado is kind of unique I believe in that it uses the E67/5.3L/4L60e/T42 combo.
    Last edited by OEMOBDII; 11-17-2016 at 04:04 PM.

I think that the whole thing would be a lot easier if you just use the harness and E38 from the Cadillac. What transfer case do you plan to use? This is one of the complications, putting an AWD setup into a 4WD vehicle but it is easier than going the other way. If you are planning to keep it 4WD the body computer is involved in transfer case control. Some of the transfer cases used behind 4L60Es can work behind a 6L80E with correct input/output shaft mating. You can use the operating system from a 2009 Sierra 4WD with 6.2/6l80E.

Just some thoughts... Sounds like a really fun project. Good luck!

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the fast reply.

Would use the stock Colorado T-case, at least until it broke more than once, would then consider an upgrade. Trying to stay E67 since that is what the vehicle came with and common opinion appears to point that it can do it (E38 can't drive my gauge panel I think?). Question then becomes is it possible to overlay a non-E67 calibration/tune onto an E67 controller? 2009 and 2010 Colorado V8's came with E67, but 2010 added VVT, so not sure a 2009 E67 has the hardware / firmware, but would assume so?

Then what, if anything, needs to be changed cal-wise for the E67 once connected to the T43 inside the 6L80e? I think True Blue has this part figured out.

Also looking at simply paying any experienced member here to setup an E67 and T43 ahead of time for me if I provide them. Completely stock calibrations, so it could be plug-and-play on my end, with me making the necessary wiring change for T43 and adding VVT. For now, being a beginner at step zero, if I just want the factory 403hp L92 tune, it would take me numerous hours and multiple mistakes to even become remotely familiar with how to do it, vs the majority of the highly experienced here, it would take just minutes. I have no problem paying for such expertise, and being stock would not necessarily have to be done at any local big box tuner shop around me. Fun to support the smaller guy sometime who could use a little extra Christmas money. If interested, please PM me. I am still considering this as a time saving option for me.

Thank you again for being considerate to an entry level beginner. It is easy and fun for some to slay such in the public square sometimes. I think as long as a reasonable level of homework effort is done ahead of time, and the question(s) narrowed down to specifics, it should be tolerable.

Maybe this is stuff you already read but....in luck about the E67...Cadillac CTS used E67 with 6.2/6L80E. I would guess that after you modify your harness (pull out the 4L60E/T42 stuff you can just connect the harness that was originally run from the 6L80E/T43 up to the E38 the same as a CTS PCM pinout PLUS VVT wires) you can just "segment swap" an E67 CTS trans segment.

I would not leave it there though. There is a lot to making a 6L80E shift right. You could go to the HPTuners repository and find a stock tune for a regular cab pickup and compare and contrast its settings with that of the CTS trans settings to come up with something suitable for the weight and gear ratio of your Colorado. On the other hand maybe the Colorado is pretty close to the weight of the CTS anyway, just change the gear ratio settings and enjoy.

If your Colorado has a floor shifter you could add the tap up/down pretty easy or even if it is on the column, not too hard to fit the Escalade shifter.

I am sure there are numerous guys on here that can set up your E67 for you. Some may already know exactly which OS to chose from. Whether you have somebody else set up the PCM for you or not...you sound like you would learn the tuning side of it pretty quickly and really enjoy that part of it. Please let us know how it goes

Tuner in Training
    Thanks. I'm just trying to get ducks in a row before I pull the trigger on dropping $2500 for an L92, $1000 for a 6l80e, and $800 or so for a tuning program. Then doing it in a weekend as it is my daily driver. I could have it down for a week if need be.

I think I am going to try buying a 2010 Colorado E67 ECM since it was 5.3L VVT, and try to run my existing 2009 5.3L non-VVT truck stock first. I am guessing it should start and run, just spit VVT actuator circuit and position codes since that is not present. If so, then is it possible to download the stock tune of a 6.2L Escalade or Silverado, and flash it into the E67? That would be probably one of my final questions, can a tune file be transferred amongst ECM types (from E38 to E67 in this case)? I need to stay E67 for serial data to run my IP (I think)?

Taking bids if anybody wants to flash a stock 2010 Colorado V8 E67 to run a stock L92: [email protected]

You can't flash an E38 tune or OS into an E67

Rather than putting an Escalade 6.2 (E38) file into an E67. I would think it much safer (for the computer) to flash the engine side of that E67 with a Cadillac CTS 6.2 stock file...then once it is in there you can open a compare file for an Escalade and it will show you the differences so that you can quickly run through giving your CTS tune Escalade calibrations. This should be pretty quick and safe. I would be happy to do this but do not have an unlimited license for the related vehicles. I am sure one of the pro tuners on here can take care of it for you pretty easily.

Like I mentioned above I would also install the transmission side of the tune from a CTS. Your weight might be similar enough to work OK. You will just need to change the gear ratio and tire height in that part of the tune. Should be pretty straight forward.

Cool project. Here is a 2011 Colorado 5.3 stock file and a 2010 Escalade 6.2 stock file. It will be pretty straight forward to program it once you have the hardware in place. Let me know if you need more help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Tuner in Training
    Tremendous support and great ideas. Thank you very much. Please keep the ideas flowing if there are any additional. I initially posted on "both" popular tuner forums to gauge the support level, and then make my product purchasing decision. Hands down the culture here appears much more forthcoming. Even though I may likely not attempt to do the large transfer over, I will still be purchasing this program and start with small items.

================================================== =======
    Separately: I have a career job opening in my department at work. We are a major auto supplier in Michigan, and I'm seeking a tuner with a modest level of GM tuning experience or more (aftermarket such as HPT OK), must also possess an engineering degree (sorry, it's the rules, but any discipline OK). It is a testing engineer position, but tuning knowledge is helpful. Amazing benefits and we help with relocation costs. Reach me @ [email protected]. ================================================== ======

I was tempted to start with the Caddy E67 LSA "tune" file (6.2 blower), but figured it may be too complex and become unstable since the L9H (Escalade 6.2L) is not a boosted application. Figured it may be easier to just uprate the stock 2010 5.3L VVT "tune" to better size the larger transplanted 6.2L.

I did just get off the phone with the GM dealership, and they confirmed the ECM part number is different for 2009 Colorado 5.3L vs 2010 (adds VVT). So, my 2009 E67 may not have the VVT driver in it (s). Or just a software difference, or...... So will start by picking up a used 2010 Colorado E67 ECM.

Thank you again for all.
    Last edited by OEMOBDII; 11-21-2016 at 05:06 PM.

Pay? Tuning exp. and engineering degree here!
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    Email as requested for additional job info.

Would anybody know about harness connectivity differences between a 5.3L (LH8) and the 6.2L (L9H)? Would like to simply overlay my 5.3L harness onto the 6.2L , plug it into all the devices, and add the 2 VVT control wires, but I don't know if connectors and such are compatible. For example, fuel injectors, the 6.2L L9H is flex fuel capable, so should have larger flow iniectors, but do they keep the same connector? I would think so, but not sure.

Tuner in Training
    It isn't hard to tune the 6.2 using your factory E67 and even the factory 5.3 OS. There is no reason to consider an E38! I swapped a LS2 into my 07 Saab 9-7X to replace the 5.3 engine. I used some parts from the Trailblazer SS tune, and some parts from my 5.3i tune initially. Later, I used a straight TBSS tune but modified the transmission and other settings to match. Now, I have swapped a forged and stroked LSA with a Whipple, E85, and a 6L80E using the TBMSport kit. All of this is still on the factory E67. I have re flashed it using a Mongoose cable and GM SPS to a 2009 Saab 9-7X OS (with changes to suit the rest of the setup). The transmission is currently running an 08 Denali tune, but I will likely try a couple of other OS to see what works best.

Note that to do all of this, I did use and need EFI Live, HPTuners, and a Mongoose with SPS subscription. You can probably get by without SPS with Mongoose and possibly even without EFI Live, but I had to go through multiple steps that only one of these three tools could actually do. With that said, if you plan to program a computer from scratch or change the OS, you should definitely buy a Mongoose cable and 3-day SPS subscription (or find a local willing dealer to do it for you).

Be careful when mixing OS from other cars or from different model years. There can be changes that prevent the car from working.

If you have any questions, you are welcome to send me a message or give me a call. I am by no means an expert, but may know a few things that can help. Overall, Jesse at TBMSport has been very knowledgable and helpful throughout the whole process.

Thanks.

Tim
    1995 Chevy Monte Carlo Z34
    2004 Honda S2000
    2007 Saab 9-7X 6.0i
    2013 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan 6MT, Stealth Blue

Yeah most of the connectors including the injectors should be the same.
    www.crawford-racing.com
    Home of the original and best selling CR-Fueler plug and play port injection controller kits for all GM Gen V direct injection platforms.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks again to all. Should be final request, please check my thinking below:

I have the majority sorted out, and I think the only remaining question I have is controller comparability. My truck is a 2009 (E67). 2010 started VVT on that vehicle (E67). Does anybody know if all E67 ECM's are VVT capable? There is a different PCM part number at the dealership for the 09' vs the 10', for the same truck setup of each.

Also seeing compatibilty conflict amongst E67's and T43's, with 2010 being a mid-stream break point of sorts. If my 2009 E67 is VVT calable, then I will buy a 2009 6L80e transmission. If my 2009 E67 is not VVT capable, then I would plan to buy a 2011 Colorado E67 and a 2011 6L80e. 2010 seems to be almost a split year in the communication change between the ECM and TCM, and I am reading the modules, especially the T43 don't take well to OS changes outside of their original year range, especially if pivoting about 2010 era.

I have the trans wiring to E67 understood, but parameters what inside the E67 needs to change when upgrading the trans from 4L60 to 6L80e, and why?

The trans will be swapped separately from the engine at a different time, but I need to plot the overall plan to acquire the correct components up front amd not have to repeat any work or purchases unnecessarily.

I can't thank you all enough for such a warm welcome mat. I look forward to becoming fluent and giving back to the community.

I just confirmed that the 2009 E67 is the same part number for the Cadillac CTS-V (VVT 6.2) as it is for your Colorado. I don't see any reason to go up to 2010 or 2011. Also the 2009 5.3 Colorado in the tune repository has VVT. Are you sure yours does not have it? It would be very easy to install the 6.2 and tune it to work on your set-up....save for a 4L60E that will not serve you for long...Even if yours does not have VVT it should be easy to add it (as you already well know).

Also what I wrote earlier in this thread about being able to segment swap the transmission set-up (6L80E) from the Cadillac to the Colorado ECM is wrong. As the OS is different, the Cadillac's transmission program cannot be swapped into yours. The info is not located inside of the E67 anyway as you know. I like to think that just making the changes to the harness so that your E67 can be in contact with the T43 will be enough (as the T43 already has its own OS inside). The T43 will need a lot of info that the E67 has in order to function. I am not sure why TBMSport sells the adapter module to go between your old T42 plug and the new T43. Maybe it is really needed. They do a very nice job of "plug and play" so that a car can be returned to normal....which makes me think it is all a matter of "adapting" to keep the original harness whole. I think it would be very helpful to talk to them and see if they can "sell" you on why you need their adapter. I am VERY curious about that, would call them myself if I was in the US right now. Their links I emailed you also say you need their E67 so maybe they would be willing to explain why. I would expect that through HPTuners (and possibly a Tech2 or MDI with SPS connection) we/you can handle this.

Really looking forward to seeing how this goes.
    Jeff

Tuner in Training
    Thank you. 2009 Colorado is LH8, which is 5.3L non-VVT. 2010 is LH9 which is 5.3L VVT. Not sure why the 2010 Colorado V8 E67 is a different p/n than the 2009 Colorado V8 E67? HPT repository may be incorrect, or VVT tables are all nulled out?

It appears the TBM adapter is a plug and play harness. I have no problem doing the wire mods to save there. I will likely buy his transfer case adapter ring though. Expensive, but would cost me that much or more by the time I even made a single prototype. I don't expect him to reveal the E67 cal change necessary if any. He has to protect his IP somehow, understandably. A guy on EFI-L claims to have done several by merely connecting wires.

If anybody has any other input on operating system or model year compatibility for E67 and T43, I'm all ears, before I buy them. If 2009 E67 can be VVT (although mine is not), I will obtain a 2009 6L80e also then. It is either that, or go 2011 for both. Trying to avoid a $450 mistake if I need to buy a different T43, new.
    Last edited by OEMOBDII; 11-23-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Just for interest sake I ran the VIN of the file from the repository (1GCCS19L998126639). It does come up as a 2009. The tune does have all of the tables filled in appropriately BUT on the top/left of the "Variable camshaft" page Camshaft is listed as "None" (others LS series with VVT say "One"). And the fourth row down "Use oil pressure" is marked as "Disabled" while VVT LS are in fact enabled. This all seems to confirm as you said that the 2009 did not actually have VVT but the OS does have everything it needs to run it.

Tuner in Training
    Wow, awesome sauce. Thank you so much for taking the time to do that. You just got added to the Christmas card list. Thank you all others for your generosity also.

This was the final piece of the puzzle needed (I think). I feel confident that I can now make my selection and purchase for the engine, trans (2009), HPT, and spare E67 in January. I will likely buy HPT and the spare E67 first (now) to start learning it.

Happy Holidays to all of you.

The T43 is built into the transmission, so more then likely you won't have to purchase another TCM if you get the trans you are looking for.
    www.crawford-racing.com

Advanced Tuner
    I'll chime in here as well, my suggestion is use stock Colorado OS (if you can confirm the 2010 OS will run a 2008 vehicle then you can use it) and use a TBMSport module to run the 6L80E. You might be able to find someone who can setup the stock ECM OS to talk and operate with the T43 TCM, if so then you're set. Rewire the harness for VVT, create new tune with the stock L92 parameters, and flash it. At least should get you on the road, from there you can get into tweaking the ECM and TCM for power and shift feel/points and so on.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned