Thread: Any Way to Include Lean Angle on iPhone?

Tuner in Training

Any Way to Include Lean Angle on iPhone?

I am a user of TA, with an iPhone 6 and GoPro Hero 4 Silver, for occasional track days (and limited on-road videos) on a motorcycle. Works very nicely.

The video is started by TA on the phone, taken by the GoPro, and the phone supplies the speed and altitude (and everything later merged by RaceRender). There is also G-force data (which I don't use), but not lean angle. I was wondering whether there's any way to capture that tilt-degree data, along with the speed and altitude, given that the phone has the capability to measure that via its built-in sensor. This assumes, of course, that the phone would be mounted rigidly on the bike, as opposed to, say, just keeping it in a pocket.

Thanks,

Bill P.

Unfortunately, there's not a way to datalog lean angle at this time... I'm aware of the desire for this by motorcyclists (and pilots), but there are a few concerns that would need to be further investigated and overcome first.

In either case, it's usually advisable to securely mount the phone to the bike, because placing it in a pocket, or otherwise on the rider, can have very poor or inconsistent GPS results when at race speed... Using an external GPS unit that's mounted to the bike can help with that, though.

Tuner in Training
    Weston, thanks for your reply, and your time. I thought that might be the case.

Cheers,

Bill P.