Thread: Permanent DTCs and VCM Scanner

Permanent DTCs and VCM Scanner

What is a Permanent DTC?

Starting in 2009/2010 MY, vehicles now store emission related DTCs as Permanent DTCs. Unlike non-Permanent DTCs, Permanent DTCs can not be cleared by any conventional method like a battery disconnect or via any scan tool. Permanent DTCs will only clear automatically after the module storing the DTC, sees that the problem causing the code has been solved.

Please Note: It may take a few drive cycles for the DTC to clear if the issue causing the DTC is fixed. If the issue causing the DTC is never fixed, the Permanent DTC will never clear.

What does this mean for VCM Scanner?
    With the release of VCM Suite 3.0 earlier this year, we have strived to make VCM Scanner the most comprehensive scan tool available and to report as much information as possible to you. This includes reporting Permanent DTCs. All versions of VCM Suite 3.0 or newer will report Permanent DTCs, but like stated above, they can not be cleared by any scan tool, including VCM Scanner. If you see Permanent DTCs being reported in VCM Scanner, it is not a bug, the module storing the DTC just hasn't cleared it yet.

Just ran into this on a 2010 Camaro SS for the first time. So even with Codes set to report no error and also have the Cat & post Cat O2 test disabled it still posted cat and rear o2 codes.

Do I have to set the test back to being enabled and set DTC to report error and flash it back in before doing drive cycles? The car will throw these codes naturally with the setup it has on, so I'm a bit stumped. what needs to be done?

I think I'm running into this issue for a 2015 Camaro SS as well. Just o2 sensor codes after turning rear o2s off from the customer deleting his cats.

I've got the rear o2 codes set permanently. I've since had the car tuned and the codes were disabled and the cat test disabled. How can I get rid of these? I have headers and high flow cats. That's what caused the issue. I tried the o2 sensor spacers but it never helped. Do I need to turn the cat test back on? I've tried the idle-drive-idle test but it didn't help yet.
    2016 Camaro SS
    Full exhaust, rotofab CAI, ported IM/TB, E85, 3600rpm stall TC

Potential Tuner
    no resolution on this? Running into the same issue

There is no resolution, the codes will always stay permanent until the problem is fixed or they somehow go away on their own.

That is how the codes and calibrations were designed, no getting around that fact.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Is there any way to tell if the DTC is active or just waiting to clear itself?
    2010 GXP Maloo ute, LS3, 6L80E.
    MM heads, 240/252@50 solid cam, 12.75:1 compression, 4500 Dominator converter, 3.46 rears.
    Shooting for 10s eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Xjas View Post
    Is there any way to tell if the DTC is active or just waiting to clear itself?
    If the DTC status is listed as just "(Permanent)" and doesn't list any other status, it is not currently active and is waiting for drive cycles to clear itself.

Tuner in Training
    Does this rule also apply to ford?
    I have P0420 and P0430 disabled in the file but always appear on a Mustang V6 3.7 2012

Potential Tuner
    I have a permanent ox543 : u0100 and ox7ea:u0100 after header install on my 2021 Camaro LT1. I have turned off ox7eb12e3 ......to p12f8. But I can't get the SES light on dash to stay off. Everything is working fine. The harness for AFM has electrical tape over the connectors. I have flashed several times but don't see in the program an opportunity to turn off the u0100 codes.

'12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

Is there a how to video or thread on how to set up channels for transmission? ZF8 in particular

Tuner in Training
    If you have a DTC that does not result in a permanent code, but does cause vehicle to go into "limp mode" until cleared, will unchecking the box in the table and setting to "no error reported" affect that DTC or will it still go into limp mode? In other words is the table only basically good for controlling the check engine light ?

Tuner in Training
    Got a P18C2 code (internal mode switch) on my 2019 LT4 8L90 8 speed connect and cruise. Replaced the internal mode switch. Code changed to P18c2 "permanent". GM dealer never heard of it. Did some internet research and found ecu had to see 3 "cycles" or 1 "cycle" after DTC reset. Did a couple cycles and code is gone. Thought it was odd that they had a transmission code in the permanent group or are they all? Thought it was just for emissions?
    Last edited by vet57air; 06-17-2022 at 05:03 PM.