Thread: Maximum data length

Potential Tuner

Maximum data length

Is there any size restriction in data files imported in RaceRender? I use Performance Tools to get my lap time analysis and the whole file has 6'30" length, but when imported in RaceRender it's only 2'36". I did an experiment to trim my original file down to 2' in Performance Tools and then import it in RaceRender. That way the file is fully imported and 2' shows up in configuration table. What's going on? Can't I import a larger data file? I just bout ultimate RaceRender.

Please help me!

Advanced Tuner
    I have imported 30+ min files.. take a look at the csv file and make sure the way it's displaying time makes sense- or post it up here.

Potential Tuner
    I have tried everything before posting here and couldn't find any solution. It's been 2 days that I am looking for an answer.
    The file is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ycuzrdc3hxa7den/tony.csv?dl=0

Thanks!
    Last edited by tony_l; 11-25-2016 at 04:47 PM.

Thanks for linking the file. There is no intentional limit imposed on the length of input files in RaceRender, only a few technical limitations that should be very rare to encounter and are not the cause in your case.

Taken at face value, the correct length for your file should be about 6:27.5 (387.5 seconds), as evidenced by the "inc-time" (aka "incremental time in seconds") data column, and also what you see in the Performance Tools software. However, the "time" data column would seem to indicate a length of only 6:10.5, as it spans from 92732.4 to 93342.9 (hhmmss.n format), so that discrepancy is a good hint that there's a deeper problem here...

Upon closer inspection, the problem is that after this file's "time" data column starts at 92732.4 and increments normally to 93124.0, it then suddenly jumps backward to 93107.1 and restarts incrementing from there until the end at 93342.9. The backwards time jump is unexpected and unusual, and there is also effectively two different data sets being reported for that same 17 second time span, so it's an ambiguous situation for a few different reasons. As a result, RaceRender ends up discarding everything before the discrepancy and starting over at that point, so you end up getting a length of 2:35.8 for this file. There's really no great universal solution for this kind of error, but starting over has historically been the better choice in more situations than not.

Fortunately, files like this should only be a rare occurrence, and the fix for it is pretty simple... We just need to modify this file slightly so that the "time" column is effectively ignored, and we can use "inc-time" / "incremental time in seconds" instead:

1) Open the file in a plain text editor, such as in Windows Notepad or Mac TextEdit. (Right-Click on the file, then select "Open With" to select the application to use)

2) Under the "[header]" section, change the "time" line to "badtime"

3) Under the "[column names]" section, change the "time" name to "badtime"

4) Go back up to the the "[header] section, and change the "incremental time in seconds" line to "inc-time"
    (Note: Starting with RaceRender 3.5.3, this step should no longer be needed)

5) Save the result as a plain text file over the original file name, and it should now be its full length in RaceRender

Here's a link to a fixed version of your file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxW...ew?usp=sharing (a download button should be at the top left)

Potential Tuner
    You 're awesome! Thanks! I understood at some point that something was wrong with timeline. The only thing I tried was to fix time sequence in excel by setting every cell with the same step. That unfortunately didn't work so I just waited for your answer.

Thanks again!