Thread: A6 to m6 programing question 2009 g8gt e38 controler

A6 to m6 programing question 2009 g8gt e38 controler

I looking to swap a tr6060 transmission into my g8gt ,it has the A6 6l80e trans ,, so my question is can I go into the existing engine file and just change it to manual transmission and re flash or do I have to load a engine file from a file that had a manual transmission to start with ?and of coarse I would have to jump the data pins and ground the neutral safety switch wire to start the motor at the transmission plug pigtail ,,, any direction on this would be great ,, thanks gmonde

this might have to be posted in transmission programing chime in ,,thanks gmonde
    Last edited by gmonde; 11-29-2016 at 09:02 PM.

You'll need to flash a GXP manual file in.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    You'll need to flash a GXP manual file in.
    thanks,so I have to license the gxp file and flash it into my ecm,, will this change the vin# in the ecm being flashed ?

Quote Originally Posted by gmonde View Post
    thanks,so I have to license the gxp file and flash it into my ecm,, will this change the vin# in the ecm being flashed ?
    Yes.

last question, here in the state of Connecticut we have emissions testing and they plug into the obd2 and check for monitor ready status ,active codes and vin# ,this might be a problem for my next emissions test if a different vin is in the cars ecm,, thoughts???? thanks again for your replys

also will the different vin# lock up the bcm and have the car not start ?
    Last edited by gmonde; 12-01-2016 at 08:41 PM.

Some cars don't like the VIN mismatch. HPT probably allows the VIN change in your specific case.

Just keep in mind the 2008-2009 G8 GT used a different ECM compared to the 2009.5 G8 GT and GXP so trying to flash a complete GXP OS file into your ECM could brick it

-Greg
    2009 Maverick Silver G8 GXP M6 - 586hp
    Engine Mods: TVS 2300 Magnacharger ARH 1 7/8" long tubes with catted x-pipe
    Drivetrain Mods: Ram Dual Disc Clutch
    Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms
    Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit

Tuner in Training
    I have a g8 gt. I got the hptuners so I could change the engine to a 6.2 and the transmission to a manual. One option I was considering was flashing a g8 gxp tune into my car. It has the 6.2 and the 6spd manual. I have already spent two credits while saving my stock tune. Is there a way I can swap the trans segment to the m10 6spd manual? Thanks,

Deleted my post when trying to edit it.

I was trying to figure out how to attach my file, but didn't find anything.

The Holden is another option as far as the trans. It has the 6.0 which I could edit, from my understanding to show the same parameters as the 6.2.. I'm new to this, so I appreciate any help.
    Thanks,

Tuner in Training
    I've been reading on this for a month or more and I cannot find any solid information, or this is the way to make this work step by step., I only just got hptuners last week. If anybody can tell me if I have this correct or not I would greatly appreciate it. I don't want to burn up credits, or my ecm.
    I have a 08' g8 gt 6.2 swap with a gxp manual.
    I had the bcm programmed by white.

Do in need to jump the pins talked about on other threads?

Can I use a 2008 Holden manual tune (can't find o.s. number) change the vin to match my own, change engine settings to that of the camaro ss 6.2 and save the file with 2 credits and successfully flash it to my ecm?

Tuner in Training
    You say it could brick it, do you know if it is possible? Is there a way to only flash the transmission part, and not the entire O.S. ? I can't find anybody that will explain what I need to do.
    I did find out that the 2008 Holden did not have the vss, so it will not work. The gxp would be the ideal tune to have.

You can do a segment swap from a manual vehicle, that would eliminate the need to license and flash a different file.

Tuner in Training
    Does the transmission segment swap require the OS i.d. to be the same? When searching my OS i.d. the only tune that comes up is a Holden auto tune.

Tuner in Training
    You'll have to excuse my ignorance as I have no experience with this stuff. I have tried multiple manual trans cars to try and get the segment feature to come available. I cannot find anything that works. I guess that my tcm OS is only a auto thing because the m10 has no tcm.
    It was suggested by hptuners that I do a manual segment swap, but they failed to mention how to go about it.
    I cannot find any compare files that the segment feature is not greyed out.
    I have tried using the trans file only and comparing, the engine trans together, and nothing.
    Thanks for any and all input

Tuner in Training
    I'm planning on doing an automatic to manual swap on a 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP 3.6 E67 T43. Am I incorrect in assuming that switching the ECM Trans Type to Manual will be sufficient? The F40 manual doesn't have any control wiring that attaches to it at all. I also have not seen anything in the VCM editor that looks like a segment swap option. I have the latest HP Tuners version 3.6 installed.

The ECM OS is 12618588 and the TCM OS is 24244551. Can someone clarify whether the ECM Trans Type change will work? There is of course no factory manual setup for an E67 equipped FWD LY7 3.6 engine, so if some swap is possible it would have to be from a RWD vehicle. I would rather not have to license and rewrite a different VIN's software into this car for (1) license costs and (2) who knows what that might mess up.

I've been doing a lot of searches in the forums, and this is the closest I've seen to what I am doing even though it is a different ECM. Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    RE: https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...-Segment-swaps

According to what Bill said in here, it confirms what I thought was true for the E38 and E67 because setups with those use separate TCMs. Segment swaps would no longer apply. The only question left I guess is to confirm that by selecting Manual for ECM Trans Type if there is anything that would not work. The manual ECM options page is present; I'm strongly leaning toward the possibility that the ECM doesn't need anything special to use a manual trans. Just need to wire the clutch pedal switches to the ECM harness and you'd probably be done from an engine operability standpoint.

I do have another question: is the ECM able to determine which gear the trans is in accurately after a swap? I know that the P12 in my supercharged Cobalt determines the gear somehow without having any electronics connected to the manual transmission. Presumably by calculating gear ratios. Wonder if there are as-yet undiscovered parameters related to ECM knowledge of the transmission's individual gear ratios?

Tuner in Training
    I have the clutch pedal position sensor and harness connected, but it will not start. I connected the auto trans plug and it fired up. I had already flashed it to the manual trans and changed anything else that was different . Seems like I have to flash another tune completely, only thing is that the gxp used a different operating system. I've been told that I should just flash it, that it should work. If not it was suggested to get a new gxp ecm flash in my vin and use it. Any thoughts on whether this would work? Or possibly a easier route? Thanks, aaron

if you didn't change out the harness for the transmission you have to find the pin(s) for the neutral safety switch that is internal of the transmission,, I have the diagram(have to dig it out) but if memory serves it is a grounding circuit
    also jump together the 2 data wires as well ,, I haven't done mine as I am working a adding a lsa to mine ,, but I did do quite a bit of research on this swap

Tuner in Training
    I took the trans connectors from a manual camaro and ran the wires to the correct circuits. There was one wire in the auto trans connector that had to be swapped to a different pin location, maybe in the ecm connector. I don't know if it was the neutral safety switch tho. I ordered and forgot about a gxp harness from gmparts , 4-5 weeks later it showed up. So I could switch it out. If it's something I already added I'd prefer to keep my harness. I'll have to look and see if I can find it, if I didn't add it maybe that's the problem. I added the wire connector for the clutch pedal position sensor. I can start it in gear tho. My Speedo is about 20mph to low, and fluctuates a bit. I'm gonna have to try and compare settings to see if I can't fix it.. It's not set to read off the wheel sensors, I thought it would work since I added the vss along with the skip shift and rev lockout. Got about a dozen warning signals it takes about 2 min to go through when I start the car. Aside from some hesitation when accelerating it runs and drives good. It's my first time using any kind of tuning software so it might take some time to get the engine running smooth. I used the 6.2 gxp settings, I might need to switch to the 2010 Camaro SS. That's where the engine came from. There were differences in the 3 different "stock" tunes I looked at, so I don't know which to go off of..

If anybody that has done this swap could upload to hptuners, or email me their tune so I can either a: have the correct tune with the correct os [2008 g8 gt 12624402] or b: have a tune to compare and save the correct settings for the speed sensor and what not.
    I flashed a manual Holden tune last night and it wouldn't start, so I re-flashed the original so I could at least drive it. It was finally on the ground, was 330am, raining so I didn't jack it up to unhook the tcm and try jumping pins 10to14 And 11 to 13 to see if that would make a difference.

I flashed the Holden tune in, unhooked the tcm and everything works. Speedometer is reading between 5-10 over depending on speed. I licensed both my car and the Holden file so I could write it. Now after flashing it it says unlicensed vehicle. Might try and connect the tcm again and see if it lets me flash it then.
    Last edited by ah555666; 06-24-2017 at 11:04 PM.

ah555666.....you get it working or give up?

Working an A6 E38 ECM but with a th40 trans, it's not happy. Idles high, runs just ok and only up to mid range rpms. Seems the data jumping and PNS signal are mentioned lots of places, along with the M6 OS full write. I have a p0315 crank learn error and can;t get it to relearn b/c no brake or PNS. Doesn't respond to idle change request in the scanner because it never thinks it's idling .

Hoping you sorted it out!! Let me know and sorry for the 9 month bumpsovitz on the thread, desperate and don't want to burn credits on the M6 OS if I can avoid.