Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Focus ST Torque Limits

Advanced Tuner
    I am hitting my max load around 2500-3000 rpm, what defines high load at low rpm?

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by kris5597 View Post
    I am hitting my max load around 2500-3000 rpm, what defines high load at low rpm?

Kris
    In regards to stochastic pre-ignition, based on BMEP plots of most engines, it seems to be restricted to below 3000RPM for most engines.

Advanced Tuner
    look at dat boost.hpl

can i get some opinions on this

For the CSL Min Spark Torque Ratio, the stock value is 80% on the Fusion Sport. Based on what Bugasu wrote, do I want this value to be lower so it is less aggressive? Meaning, should I set it to like 10%-30%? What does it do?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kris5597 View Post
    Ah okay, makes perfect sense. IMO the boost regulated by throttle is genius and as you stated, more responsive. I don't feel there is much benefit by changing it over. I feel more comfortable allowing the ecu to use the throttle to regulate boost based on load than trusting the waste gate to do its job as the primary source of boost regulation. I've seen many other vehicles suffer from overboost issues due to undersized or overworked wastegates. I just wanted your opinion on the matter.

I have found load limiters elsewhere that were not allowing me to hit my target boost of 22 psi. I have since adjusted them and I am comfortably hitting 21.9psi. I'll take that. Car pulls hard and strong. Next is e30.
    where is the load limiters, it confused me for a long time.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wristshot View Post
    Here?s my 2-cents. First, I?m no expert and am struggling to eliminate the Comb Stab and Popcorn limits myself, but I have successfully got past the Insufficient Fuel Limit for now anyway.

First you might try to increase your Injector Duty Cycle Limit and Max DC vs ECT table values from .95 up closer to 1.

If you still have Insufficient Fuel Limits after this, you might slowly open up the Injector Timing Window (i.e. SOI ? EOI). When doing this go slow and monitor your fuel rail pressure to be sure it doesn?t drop significantly. If the rail pressure drops you don?t have sufficient fuel pump output to support more power.

Now how much you can change the SOI and EOI - I don?t know. The SOI Minimum scaler seems to be in crank degrees, so convert it to degrees BTDC (e.g. 720 ? 383 = 337). So 337 degrees BTDC is the earliest Start of Injection possible. I wouldn?t stray too far from this number. Now you can change the Single Injection Intake Timing table based on the SOI Minimum BTDC. Now adjust the End of Injection a bit in the EOI vs Pressure table. I don?t know how far you can go (i.e. to rising cylinder pressure and ignition timing) ? go slow. As your maximum injection window increases (SOI ? EOI), be sure to increase your Max Inj Angle Limit scaler to coincide.

I increased my injection window by 15 degrees in the areas I had Insufficient Fuel Limits and it has eliminated the issue with no ill effects.

Keep us posted as to how it goes and if you figure out how to get past the Comb. Stab. Limit.
    So when we adjust SOI Minimum are we suppose to add or remove degrees from the stock 383 degree value. I?m not fully understanding how it works. I would also like to know if you would apply the same procedure when adjusting 1-Shot Intake and the EOI vs Pressure table.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by qck2spool View Post
    So when we adjust SOI Minimum are we suppose to add or remove degrees from the stock 383 degree value. I?m not fully understanding how it works. I would also like to know if you would apply the same procedure when adjusting 1-Shot Intake and the EOI vs Pressure table.
    Generally you don’t adjust SOI to get more fuel, just pressure and EOI. The ecu will always start the injection at SOI, even if it only needed a part of the injection window. Conversely EOI will only be hit when the ecu is demanding as much fuel as the injection window or EOI clip will allow. I would be very hesitant to move SOI earlier due to valve overlap and possibly spraying fuel on the hot exhaust valves, worst case would be a boom, best case you’re still losing some fuel out the exhaust instead of staying in the chamber. If you do want to adjust SOI make sure you understand how the mapped points will affect the valve timing in the areas you’re looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Puggyberra View Post
    Generally you don?t adjust SOI to get more fuel, just pressure and EOI. The ecu will always start the injection at SOI, even if it only needed a part of the injection window. Conversely EOI will only be hit when the ecu is demanding as much fuel as the injection window or EOI clip will allow. I would be very hesitant to move SOI earlier due to valve overlap and possibly spraying fuel on the hot exhaust valves, worst case would be a boom, best case you?re still losing some fuel out the exhaust instead of staying in the chamber. If you do want to adjust SOI make sure you understand how the mapped points will affect the valve timing in the areas you?re looking at.

Ah gotcha. Thanks for the info!