Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Focus ST Torque Limits

Advanced Tuner
    Raised injector max duty cycle to 1.0 and that limiter is gone, car pulls super hard up top, combustion stability is there now through the whole pull. Still major throttle closure in the low/ midrange but it's linear power. I assume at this point the only way to increase power there is to increase tip max...

Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    What table # is the Lambda Torque Adjuster table in the Focus ST? Where is it found?
    This I don't know. Ford name is FN623.

Quote Originally Posted by kris5597 View Post
    Raised injector max duty cycle to 1.0 and that limiter is gone, car pulls super hard up top, combustion stability is there now through the whole pull. Still major throttle closure in the low/ midrange but it's linear power. I assume at this point the only way to increase power there is to increase tip max...
    Have you logged Desired Load?

Advanced Tuner
    Im about to do another pull to log that. I can definitely see that it's not hitting the TIP max though, so that can't be the limiter.

Advanced Tuner
    Desired load in this area is in the 1.9X's. Boost is around 14-15psi. TIP actual is 65inhg, desired is 61inhg.

Advanced Tuner
    Might I add, LPSI tables are stock, and seem to reflect the desired target load in the "Hi" table. Upping the load there from 1.91-1.93 to 2.1 to see if it increases.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugasu View Post
    This I don't know. Ford name is FN623.
    Don't believe that is a SCT or HPTuner nomenclature.
    Sounds like using Ford's proprietary system to access the ECU?

Advanced Tuner
    And Voila! It worked. I have determined what the issue was and fixed it. The car is not going WOT on the low end but it is limiting boost with throttle. I am working on dialing in the load settings in that area to control boost/ torque. So far so good, the car has really adjusted well to the changes and is actually making power. Thank you guys so much for the tips and help. I will continue to fine tune everything.

What did you change? The LSPI tables? I've seen several examples where they set all 3 tables to 3.00

Don't believe that is a SCT or HPTuner nomenclature.
    Sounds like using Ford's proprietary system to access the ECU?
    Its the name of the actual function in Ford's internal designation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugasu View Post
    Its the name of the actual function in Ford's internal designation.
    Thanks, but what are we supposed to do with that info? Can Eric actually access that table?

Thanks, but what are we supposed to do with that info? Can Eric actually access that table?
    Yes. If you give that name to any tuning software suite they should be able to add it for you.

Do you know if there are any other tables that should be added to HPTuners?

Advanced Tuner
    What did you change? The LSPI tables? I've seen several examples where they set all 3 tables to 3.00
    I calibrated LSPI tables accordingly, essentially putting a load cap on them slightly higher than the amount of boost I am trying to target so if it somehow hits over desired TIP then it will hit the load limit. I know the combustion stability map max was causing an issue, because after I commanded to override the max and started back with stock LSPI tables, the LSPI tables were the only things in my way. With them dialed in correctly, I am not longer hitting any strange limiters anywhere in the power curve. I am still hitting insufficient fuel flow at 6100, even with pushing the injector DC max to 1.0 so I will work on adjusting the tables a little more so that it doesn't hit it anymore. With the stock car at hitting 21 psi, I am seeing 250whp and 330wtq. Not too shabby for 93 octane. I have the knock sensor adding timing as it sees fit, just like I do with the 5.0s I tune. Next will be intercooler and e30 to cool down the charge temps and combustion temps. Should liven it up nicely.

What are your LSPI tables set now? Do you find you need to rev over 6k RPM?

I'm not too familiar with the Focus ST, but the problem I have with the LNF in the Cobalt isn't the lack of power but rather lack of traction.

Advanced Tuner
    My LSPI highest point is set at 2.4, but the highest I see with my TIP max being 78.4inhg is around 2.35. The car definitely struggles with traction. Currently I am battling insane increasing charge temps due to the factory intercooler, which will be replaced in the next couple of days. But so far, its making great power. I will tune with e30 once I install my intercooler and tune for a little more boost and see if I can hit around 260-270whp and 360-370wtq.

Kris

For what it is worth, my 3.5 EB airload never goes over 1.8 but I have all of the LSPI cells set to 3.00 and there wasn't any difference from 2.30

Advanced Tuner
    With the way that engine operates in comparison to the amount of boost you run, you may only see 1.8.

Advanced Tuner
    I am still hitting an interesting limit. During the 3rd gear pull, I am not seeing anything that activates and limits boost, but I cannot get the car to hit 22psi, it won't hit the TIP max I have desired, it even shows during the pull that the TIP max desired is lower than my TIP Max Pressure.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by kris5597 View Post
    I am still hitting an interesting limit. During the 3rd gear pull, I am not seeing anything that activates and limits boost, but I cannot get the car to hit 22psi, it won't hit the TIP max I have desired, it even shows during the pull that the TIP max desired is lower than my TIP Max Pressure.
    Do you mean down low? Your desired load is only ~2.2 and your actual load matches it. If you want more boost you need more load. The ECU converts your Desired Load into a Desired TIP essentially. Raise your desired load to raise your desired TIP.

Advanced Tuner
    Which desired load are you speaking of that is targeting 2.2? My LSPI reduction or Maximum load under speed density?

Kris