Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New laptop recommendations

Advanced Tuner
    Picked up a Dell inspiron 15 7000 at best buy yesterday. It was on sale, almost $200 off, so i picked it up.

Its a 2-in-1, so I'm kind of anxious to see what tablet life is like. I do that thing that we all do where we cram a laptop between our stomach and steering wheel and try to work, so maybe the tablet mode will make it better...who knows. It's got a 256gb SSD and i already love it.

Tuning Addict
    Had a guy at the shop with one of these - it looked like a really nice laptop... I would recommend you request the latest beta from HPT if you don't have it - that way you have the corrected scanner...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    What was corrected with the scanner? I have the latest full version, but haven't had any beta version since 2.24 i believe

Tuning Addict
    freeze ups and some parameters that I know of
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Had a guy at the shop with one of these - it looked like a really nice laptop... I would recommend you request the latest beta from HPT if you don't have it - that way you have the corrected scanner...
    freeze ups and some parameters that I know of
    Awesome. I've been having some freeze up issues. I figured the full release would fix it eventually though, not a beta.

Tuning Addict
    Last I was told by Keith - the fix is only implemented in the beta... I really think we're going to be seeing the latest/greatest coming out soon replacing both, which is why the majority of the fixes are only in the beta right now?

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds about right

Last I was told by Keith - the fix is only implemented in the beta... I really think we're going to be seeing the latest/greatest coming out soon replacing both, which is why the majority of the fixes are only in the beta right now?
    Probably... that's how it was on the last version of the beta too, then all the fixes and stuff rolled into the new regular version

Potential Tuner
    Go for the Dell Inspiron 7000.
    -17.3-inch FHD 1920 x 1080 touchscreen LED backlight display
    -6th-generation Intel Core i7 2.5GHz processor
    12GB of RAM
    -1TB of hard drive
    -NVIDIA GeForce 940MX graphics card
    -2GB memory

Potential Tuner
    looking for any updates since Feb on this topic. I see three at best buy I'm thinking of getting. anyone have any thoughts?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...?skuId=5722735
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-in...?skuId=5823028
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso...?skuId=5855919

Thanks,

Keith

Tuner
    ive always used Dell equipment for the support and reliability.

I run a Dell XPS13 notebook 256GBssd with 8g ram and i7 proccessor. very sturdy aluminium frame and smaller than a Mac. Great size for behind a steering wheel in the car, touch screen is nice to use and is splash proof. backlit keys are also great.
    2 usb drives which can be a setback compared to most other laptops with 3 or 4, but in saying that i have never deede to use anymore than 2 at one time.
    Battery live going full bore is around the 6 hour mark, light duties around 12 hours, also very fast bit of gear, boot time of 3 seconds.
    I was never a fan of touch screen stuff but this one has converted me, it is very handy at times and keeping the screen clean after greasy fingers over it all day is no real deal with a microfiber on hand.
    Size was a worry also but having a border less screen it measures just a tad over 13.3 inch.

Only gripe i have with this model is the screen glare from sun every now and then.
    Last edited by tris909; 08-22-2017 at 03:56 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tris909 View Post
    ive always used Dell equipment for the support and reliability.

I run a Dell XPS13 notebook 256GBssd with 8g ram and i7 proccessor. very sturdy aluminium frame and smaller than a Mac. Great size for behind a steering wheel in the car, touch screen is nice to use and is splash proof. backlit keys are also great.
    2 usb drives which can be a setback compared to most other laptops with 3 or 4, but in saying that i have never deede to use anymore than 2 at one time.
    Battery live going full bore is around the 6 hour mark, light duties around 12 hours, also very fast bit of gear, boot time of 3 seconds.
    I was never a fan of touch screen stuff but this one has converted me, it is very handy at times and keeping the screen clean after greasy fingers over it all day is no real deal with a microfiber on hand.
    Size was a worry also but having a border less screen it measures just a tad over 13.3 inch.

Only gripe i have with this model is the screen glare from sun every now and then.
    Thanks for the response tris909, I will look into that model.

Cheers,

Keith

Advanced Tuner
    I happy with my inspiron so far

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000_SS View Post
    I happy with my inspiron so far
    I think I'm starting to like the 2 in 1 setup. Also the Windows Ink program look cool.

Advanced Tuner
    I've been using a Chuwi HI10 Pro (and a Chuwi Hi10 Plus) recently. These are $200 2-in-1 devices that can dual-boot into WIndows 10 and Android 5.1 (or Remix OS 2.1). They are not powerhouses, but they seem to work fine for both reading/writing tunes and scanning. They use the Intel x8300/x8350 processors - again, not powerhouses, but they get the job done and are VERY portable. The keybaord docks have 2 full sized USB ports and the tablet has a micro-USB port that you can use with a USB OTG adapter. Check them out if you are on a budget! :-)

I am selling my Surface Pro 4. It's maybe a touch over a year old and is in like new shape. Comes with keyboard and I can send a small case for it that will fit the HPT cable also. It's a nice setup.

i5 runs very fast, you don't need an i7 for tuning, lol. I have other i7 machines that would just be totally wasted on a simple program like HPT or web browsing, etc. Save those for video editing, etc you will notice zero difference doing anything less.

PM me if interested, it's all reset and boxed up and ready to ship.

Tuner in Training
    I bought a refurb Military grade Getec V110 on ebay for $300 and I'm a happy camper. This thing is tough, it uses an I5 processor and it has two batteries for long life. You might check it out (the link below is not where I bought mine, it's just an example).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Potential Tuner
    I am looking at HP streams for tuning, do you think they will do the job adequately? The only purpose for this computer is for tuning and internet searches in the garage...I am an apple guy and really don't want to put anymore money into a computer other than what is required.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Stream...orage/54056481

Advanced Tuner
    I’ve started using a Microsoft Surface Pro (4?), dedicated to only tuning. I love it, as you can pull the keyboard off and use it as a tablet in the car for simple things or longer data logging, then snap the keyboard back on and put the kickstand down and use it like a laptop. Very light, compact, and long battery life. Don’t know about newer models but this one only has 1 USB port, which is all you need since it has Bluetooth ability for a mouse. You can simultaneously switch between touch screen, keyboard mouse control, or Bluetooth mouse use.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrirstianAnarchist View Post
    I’ve started using a Microsoft Surface Pro (4?), dedicated to only tuning. I love it, as you can pull the keyboard off and use it as a tablet in the car for simple things or longer data logging, then snap the keyboard back on and put the kickstand down and use it like a laptop. Very light, compact, and long battery life. Don’t know about newer models but this one only has 1 USB port, which is all you need since it has Bluetooth ability for a mouse. You can simultaneously switch between touch screen, keyboard mouse control, or Bluetooth mouse use.
    I was thinking about getting the same model. How long is the battery life exactly? That's the most important thing for me.
    Last edited by JasperMos; 11-04-2021 at 11:46 AM.