Thread: New to HP Tuners ,

Potential Tuner

New to HP Tuners ,

Hi,
    Just upgraded from UDC tuning to HP Tuners. This is a lot different than what i have been doing . does anyone have a tune other than stock for an 06 5.9 with a 48re trans tune i can look at. plan on signing up for the tuning school next year, but would like to see the parameter changes you guys are using to add power. my trucks stock other than cold air, exhaust, and air dog 150. transmission is built heavy.
    thank you for any input.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ckane View Post
    Hi,
    Just upgraded from UDC tuning to HP Tuners. This is a lot different than what i have been doing . does anyone have a tune other than stock for an 06 5.9 with a 48re trans tune i can look at. plan on signing up for the tuning school next year, but would like to see the parameter changes you guys are using to add power. my trucks stock other than cold air, exhaust, and air dog 150. transmission is built heavy.
    thank you for any input.
    Good luck getting any help here. The best thing I could tell you is search other forums for answered questions along with you tube videos, of course some of these you're going to have to use you're best judgment on to determine the source of the information. I've asked questions on here and it wasn't about looking at someone's tune and I still got no response. It seems if you have a corvette or something else exotic then you get help or some guidance in the right direction. Best bet is do the above mentioned then get to the tuning school as you can. That's my plan.. You would think that they would have some sort of entry level instructions included with the device nothing advanced just entry level. I guess some are scared that everyone who asks a question is a potential threat to their business with a dyno in the back yard.

Potential Tuner
    I was thinking the same thing after reading some of the forum threads. Im not looking to get into tuning other peoples trucks, just mine. my biggest reason for upgrading to HP was the ability to tune the transmission. but without any place to start i guess im stuck with a $700 dollar paper weight. thanks for the input , looks like im waiting till next year when i have the time to get into the tuning school.

Advanced Tuner
    I was thinking the same thing after reading some of the forum threads. Im not looking to get into tuning other peoples trucks, just mine. my biggest reason for upgrading to HP was the ability to tune the transmission. but without any place to start i guess im stuck with a $700 dollar paper weight. thanks for the input , looks like im waiting till next year when i have the time to get into the tuning school.
    Perhaps you could clarify what it is exactly that you're looking to accomplish. Your premise on wanting a tune that has unspecified changes to the transmission calibration is very broad, and so it's hard for anyone to guess what it is you're looking for. It's true, there are very few people on this forum that are willing to help, and there is understandable reason for that (many of them rely on tuning as their means of livelihood, and the more information that is made public, the less leverage they hold against the average Joe as well as anyone who is looking to make a living doing the same).

I also went from UDC over to HPT and while it is overwhelming to start... the basics are still the same. Add fuel, adjust timing, keep egts in check. First thing I would suggest doing is finding out what tables your running on now. Wiki says your brookfield, NY town is at ~1500' so your going to be on the high air density maps. Focus on getting that dialed in before going to the next group of tables (mid-high). The fun starts when you start looking at the compensation tables for IAT, CT and Baro. Keep this in mind, hot air shortens ignition delay (from what I can tell), atmospheric pressure changes also have the same effect, fuel temps, fuel quality & cetane rating also have similar effects. Great example I can give is on the same daily commute, a cruise setup that was awesome one day was rattly the next... only difference being a low front moved into the area. Ambient temps were the same, CTs, IATs etc were all roughly the same. Only difference was the pressure.

I have only 4 months now using HPT, far from dialed in still but getting there. I use the HPT data logging to have a look at how a tune is running right after the install and then use the android app Torque and a Bluetooth OBDii adapter for daily driving... (which is how I see whats going on day to day). My tunes are not geared for top end power or towing, mainly for daily driving and fuel economy. During UDC tuning I learned how .25* of timing can make the turbo laggy and hurt performance. Here on the west coast mild winter conditions (30~40*f) I shoot for IATs in the 80~100*f range, stable fuel temps and 200*f coolant temps. Makes for a consistent running motor and predictable performance.

Like UDC, small changes to see cause and effect and then go from there.

Potential Tuner
    For a trans i was looking for the tables to adjust shift points per gear. and the margins to adjust . and line pressure biased on pealed position.

Potential Tuner
    thank you for your advise. i am making small changes for a decent tow tune, not much luck yet but i am hoping persistence wins

For a trans i was looking for the tables to adjust shift points per gear. and the margins to adjust . and line pressure biased on pealed position.
    Those are not possible as the VB itself is hydraulic in nature and uses TV and Governor Pressure along with specific spring pressures to engage a clutch pack. You can tweak it some be adjusting TV or Gov pressure

But there are no shift specific tables nor any line pressure specific tables.
    Les Szmidt
    Silver Bullet Tuning
    HP Tuners BETA Tester for 2003-2005 Cummins
    [email protected]

Potential Tuner
    ok thank you for the info , im trying small changes in those table. hopefully i can increase the pressure at lower throttle inputs for towing my trainer.