Thread: Wideband recomendation

Advanced Tuner

Wideband recomendation

Thinking on asking saint nick for a wideband unit, since i have more than one car, what good portable widebands are now on the market, i have seen the Innovative LM-2, but reviews are mixed, what else is there?

i did a search, but only really old threads came up.

Tuner in Training
    I grabbed a plx wideband about a month back. So far I really like it. It was easy to setup in Hp tuners and seems to react pretty quick.

AEM 30-0333. Plug and play, super fast
    My Avatar is my Wife and Proud of it!!
    1970 Chevelle SS 8.1 Vortec T56 9" 3.00
    2006 3500HD 8.1 vortec Allison 6sp 4.10 4X4
    2013 Audi A5 Cab 2.0tfsi Quatro
    www.mcmnapa.com

Quote Originally Posted by 1970ss8.1 View Post
    AEM 30-0333. Plug and play, super fast
    For 2008 and newer vehicles it works great.....

But, there is a downside to this unit if tuning 2007 or earlier vehicles, where the OBDII interface is not supported. So you either can utilize the Serial Interface or the Analog Interface. Problem is, these two alternate interfaces don't come wired...even the pins have been omitted in the connectors. So for the Serial interface you have to order the pins, some wire, and a DB9 connector. You will also have to splice into the only ground available, the 12vdc return (black wire) to create the DB-9 pin 5 ground connection. Wire it up and then find out the format of the received data is incorrect...needs to be divided by 10 to get back to the correct format so you need to generate a User Defined Math expression.

The Analog is a bit easier as it does work with the correct format but you have to still add two pins/wires to connect to your VCM Suite PRO MPVI. The Standard MPVI will require you connect into the EGR or AC Pressure input to the PCM like all the other Widebands.

Just a heads up for those who are tuning many different vehicles.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

This worked great on a 2010, but your telling me that I need to go through all that to get it to work on my 05 and 06 P59 pcms for my 8.1's ?
    My Avatar is my Wife and Proud of it!!
    1970 Chevelle SS 8.1 Vortec T56 9" 3.00
    2006 3500HD 8.1 vortec Allison 6sp 4.10 4X4
    2013 Audi A5 Cab 2.0tfsi Quatro
    www.mcmnapa.com

Advanced Tuner
    I wish AEM had left the analog and serial wires in the 30-0333 harness. They are present in the regular 30-0300 version.

For those interested, the pin inserts are available from DigiKey for a few pennies.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...8-1-ND/1989509

If you add them to the connector, the analog and serial functions are there on the 30-0333 gauges, same as on the 30-0300.

That gets you the best of both worlds. OBDII data + the analog and serial data.

The serial data, as noted, is a bit odd. In AFR mode, it is normal ( e.g. "14.7" ). But, in lambda mode, the serial data appears multiplied by 10. So, lambda 1.00 shows as "10.0". Basically, they just didn't move the decimal place.

The analog output, on the other hand, is pretty tight.

Advanced Tuner
    well i have a carbed bbc 76 camaro, a 97 T/A and a 2010 camaro SS, i think the OBDII is not a deal making feature seeing how 2/3 of my cars cant make use of it. I have been eyeing the plx with the bluetooth link since a suction cup would sufice to hold my cellphone that would be used to confirm the lecture on my pc (ie: hp tuners) is the same as the wideband, and then do datalogged runs.

what data-logging software would i use for the non-hp tunable cars?

Yes, the pins are called out in the manual. I got mine from Digi-key, SPUD-001T-P0.5...seeing as shipping was more than the price of the pins, I ended up buying 25 even though I only needed 3 :-)

Here is a picture of the inside of my unit that I have modified to give me the serial and analog capabilities. The twisted red/black going to the bottom of the pic goes to the DB-9 connector (Radio Shack 276-1538) and the ones exiting out on the left got to a neat 2 wire connector set (sorry don't have the part number) I found in Home Depot where I can attach another twisted cable to to complete the Analog connection to the MPVI. The box I built has too many cables coming out of it already :-)

Thanks Mike, having never used the AFR function, wasn't aware it was OK fro the Serial option....

Also, I am not a photographer by any stretch of the imagination ......

Ed M
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Nice setup mowton!

I have been planning on getting a tuning only setup after Christmas to use on my cars plus friends etc., and am planning to get the AFR500v2 from Ballenger Motorsports probably with the NTK production grade sensor. $314.99 + $50 (NTK sensor upgrade). This thread I thought had some good info in it : http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...k-Afx-wideband note post 12 & 15 from Ballenger Motorsports.

Also looks like the NTK AFRM gen2 is a decent option as well, if your looking for something a little cheaper.

I've seen to many negative comments from seemingly trustworthy sources on this forum about the Innovative widebands for me to trust them.

I use the AFR500v2 from Ballenger since it is the most versatile of many I've seen. You can run the Bosch 4.2 and 4.9 sensors or any of the NTK sensors (which I personally prefer).
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    I use the AFR500v2 from Ballenger since it is the most versatile of many I've seen. You can run the Bosch 4.2 and 4.9 sensors or any of the NTK sensors (which I personally prefer).
    Back from the dead lol - based on your recommendation I plan to buy and use this, I guess I need two though for each bank ouch $
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado