Thread: Z06 Boost Limits->Knock Airmass Mirrored on ZL1

Z06 Boost Limits->Knock Airmass Mirrored on ZL1

Can anyone offer an explanation for why the Knock Airmass tables have been mirrored from the '16 Z06 to the '17 ZL1?

2016 Z06
    2016 Z06 Knock Airmass.png

2017 ZL1
    2017 ZL1 Knock Airmass.png

I also noticed the '16 Z06 Knock Airmass Scav is identical to the '17 ZL1 Knock Airmass. The '17 ZL1 Knock Airmass Scav is unique.

And on a related note, can anyone explain the difference between the Knock Airmass and Knock Airmass Scav? Both descriptions are the same in HP Tuners. I have read about scavenging, and I suspect that each table is applied based on whether or not scavenging is active. A explanation of the difference / why the Knock Airmass Scav needs to exist would be helpful.
    Last edited by travislambert; 12-07-2016 at 03:49 PM.

Do the Z06 and ZL1 use those tables for their turbochargers?

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    Do the Z06 and ZL1 use those tables for their turbochargers?
    (I'm sure you know these engines are supercharged.)

I don't know exactly how these tables are used. That's what I'm trying to learn. They certainly seem to be purposely configured between the CTS-V, Z06, ZL1, etc. where as other, obviously unused, parameters seem to be common among the tunes.

Well, I really don't think anything that says turbocharger on it is used, but those tables are just backwards from each other so I don't think it was done on purpose/for a tuning reason. Either HPT has one of them decoded wrong or GM is just being silly.

Well, I really don't think anything that says turbocharger on it is used, but those tables are just backwards from each other so I don't think it was done on purpose/for a tuning reason. Either HPT has one of them decoded wrong or GM is just being silly.
    The only information I could find is that these tables control boost through reduced torque demand, so this seems like it could still have value for a supercharged setup. For whatever this is worth, the folks at HP tuners have these tables listed under SC/TC Boost Control. Not that the placement means anything for certain, but I'm assuming if this was a turbocharger specific setting, it'd be listed under turbocharger.

The reason I care is I had to reduce the knock sensor sensitivity to avoid false knock during low RPM / high torque (i.e. 6th gear acceleration) on the LT4 I put in my Camaro. I haven't messed with the tune in a while, but I recently got my hands on a ZL1 tune, so I thought I'd compare a little. I saw that this table was different and the naming and description seems to imply knock prevention so I thought an adjustment to this table may potentially help. I'm just trying to learn what I can, improve on my setup, and get to the bottom of why the tables are mirrored from the Z06.

Overall the car is running great. I have a very conservative tune that drives great and puts down good numbers for an all factory part setup.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huO794c-gF8

I sent an email to HP Tuners support to ask them to double-check the table mapping.

Whether it's a bug or not, I'd still be interested in learning more about these tables. Please chime in if you have anything to add. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
    I sent an email to HP Tuners support to ask them to double-check the table mapping.

Whether it's a bug or not, I'd still be interested in learning more about these tables. Please chime in if you have anything to add. Thanks!
    According to HP Tuners Support "the tables are defined and mapped correctly".

According to HP Tuners Support "the tables are defined and mapped correctly".
    Which means GM is just being silly.

Which means GM is just being silly.
    I'm sorry, not trying to be mean, but explanations like that aren't helpful.

I get that there are lots of tables that are meaningless for particular applications. I have 4 stock LT4 tunes from different model cars and these Knock Airmass tables appear to be purposely tuned where as other tables that obviously aren't used tend to have the same default dummy values. So I believe they do have a purpose on the LT4 engine, but even if by some chance they don't I'd still appreciate it if someone could post a technical explanation for how the values in these tables are applied.

Wow... There doesn't seem to be any drive on this forum to truly understand the ECMs or to share knowledge. Questions from me and others seem to be immediately responded to by one of a couple hacks who try to answer every question, but rarely provide any valuable insight. I'm not sure why I bothered asking.

Potential Tuner
    Wow... There doesn't seem to be any drive on this forum to truly understand the ECMs or to share knowledge. Questions from me and others seem to be immediately responded to by one of a couple hacks who try to answer every question, but rarely provide any valuable insight. I'm not sure why I bothered asking.
    To be honest,

A lot of the new E92 ECU and (boost tuning) for me was a lot or reading, and months of trial and error.
    Really there was no "go to" guy or gal to ask, and by trying things lead to the best results.

HPTuners gave the great write up on TQ and how the ECU understands it and uses it.
    That to me was the best key to the results in what I have done these last couple years with these ECU's.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by E.A. View Post
    A lot of the new E92 ECU and (boost tuning) for me was a lot or reading, and months of trial and error.
    Really there was no "go to" guy or gal to ask, and by trying things lead to the best results.

HPTuners gave the great write up on TQ and how the ECU understands it and uses it.
    That to me was the best key to the results in what I have done these last couple years with these ECU's.
    I found this guide for the E78 PCMs, but haven't seen anything specifically addressing the E92s. Is there something out there you could direct me to?

http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_edi...vanced_e78.htm
    Last edited by Tapout Tuning; 02-21-2018 at 09:17 PM.
    2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (733 whp)
    2022 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing (716 whp), 10.750 @ 134.77 mph
    2016 Cadillac ATS-Vs (eleven ATS-Vs in the 9s)
    2008 Pontiac G8 (first G8 in the 10s), 10.727 @ 129.87 mph
    2000 Bonneville SSEi (first 3800 Bonneville in the 10s), 10.711 @ 125.71 mph
    1999 Grand Prix GT (first 3800 FWD in the 8s), 8.902 @ 154.90 mph
    1998 Firebird (first 3800 RWD in the 8s), 843 whp, 8.991 @ 152.12 mph
    1998 Grand Prix GTP (first 3800 FWD in the 10s), 9.499 @ 145.13 mph

Can anyone offer an explanation for why the Knock Airmass tables have been mirrored from the '16 Z06 to the '17 ZL1?

2016 Z06
    2016 Z06 Knock Airmass.png

2017 ZL1
    2017 ZL1 Knock Airmass.png

I also noticed the '16 Z06 Knock Airmass Scav is identical to the '17 ZL1 Knock Airmass. The '17 ZL1 Knock Airmass Scav is unique.

And on a related note, can anyone explain the difference between the Knock Airmass and Knock Airmass Scav? Both descriptions are the same in HP Tuners. I have read about scavenging, and I suspect that each table is applied based on whether or not scavenging is active. A explanation of the difference / why the Knock Airmass Scav needs to exist would be helpful.
    I'm thinking about this too, but haven't found the right answer