Thread: 42rfe Tune

42rfe Tune

Hey everyone.
    I really need to be able to tune 42rfe jk 3.8 transmision(horrible schedule)....we are loosing money in this field.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Wilde View Post
    Hey everyone.
    I really need to be able to tune 42rfe jk 3.8 transmision(horrible schedule)....we are loosing money in this field.
    Thanks.
    I make a bundle rebuilding them. It's really a weak trans for what jeep guys ask of it. Put the biggest cooler on it possible and if rebuilding it get the OD clutch pack clearance down under .050". The spec is 0.042-0.128 in but shoot for the low side as the OD piston will bottom out in the piston retainer and not clamp the clutch at the higher clearances. Forget towing and use 4 low judiciously. It might live. Regearing for bigger tires is a must.
    Level 3 Master Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Ram technician
    20 years experience

Yes i know its very weak.
    But we tune offroad, desert climber raid, and most of them are 4.10...so we only need to get the downshift in a higher spot and disable automatic upshift. And ofcourse to arise oil pressure a bit.

Tuner in Training
    42rle actually. Its not so bad in the later years as long as you don't cook it. As far as I know the only people who have any proper tuning for it are superchips but then you have to use their tune which is no good. Diablo have some shift point settings and think you could read the tune out and use their modify stock tune option on their device to play with the shift points. Don't know why HP does not give us this option.