Thread: Opinion on when to command PE on turbo motors? And some other random question lol

Opinion on when to command PE on turbo motors? And some other random question lol

Just curious as to what some of you think. Also, the commanded throttle position for PE isn't actually the TPS that you see in the scanner. I had to set my TPS enable to 5% because I was having a issue with it not going/staying in PE when I was commanding it to. Right now I have my PE set to 2750 and 100KPA. Random question
    1. If you have your MAF set to take over VVE at 2750, do you need to tune the VE all the way to 3500-4000?
    2. When would you want to have the MAF take over on a boosted vehicle? Is there really a particular rpm you would want it to come in?

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    i would have your PE table setup as follows

enable rpm 0
    tps 30%
    kpa 50
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Shoot, Id be in PE almost all the time then.

Senior Tuner
    I don't know exactly when the ECU switched but Gen 4s I've seen use throttle area or something like that instead of TPS % in the PE TPS table. Setting this to something around 10 is actually like TPS % around 40 or something like that. I'm not sure on these values because I don't pay too much attention but you can log and see.

If you have a big turbo that doesn't build boost early you can actually keep these settings higher at lower RPMs where you will be out of boost but also consider if you ever get on it in your highest gear you will build boost sooner.

Ive set mine to be map based and always enabled for tps at 2% which is 19% throttle Ive found on the scanner...its smarter to have the fuel there in a low load but possible boosted area then to rely solely on throttle position when you might be building boost already , 105 kpa is the na switchover . Im lsa supercharged but my enable is 80 kpa to smooth the changeover into full boost ,

the map enable wouldnt be set lower because until the na threshold is reached for the map sensor your not in positive anyway and just screwing your trims up
    Last edited by fastlsxs10; 12-12-2016 at 12:08 PM.

Senior Tuner
    i set them up purely on map kpa. tps load in 5th is not the same as tps load in 2nd. This itself negates pure tps engagement.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Tuning Addict
    Map is too slow and altitude changes wreak too much havoc on it. Use tps and map both. Not just one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Map is too slow and altitude changes wreak too much havoc on it. Use tps and map both. Not just one or the other.
    Do you know the conversion for that? Because that tps you see in the scanner is not that same tps you see on the PE enable. I was having issues with mine not going/staying in PE when trying to use tps so I had to set mine to 5%.

Quote Originally Posted by TAPyvehc93 View Post
    Do you know the conversion for that? Because that tps you see in the scanner is not that same tps you see on the PE enable. I was having issues with mine not going/staying in PE when trying to use tps so I had to set mine to 5%.
    There isn't a conversion, you need to log the right PID. The correct PID for the PE THROTTLE/PEDAL table in the editer is "PE TPS". You should see PE TPS in the channels list, add it. It lines up exactly. Then you can put MAP at like 15kpa for enable, and use PE TPS to enter PE. YOur a Turbo so maybe need to adjust, but PE TPS is the channel you need to log. Ignore the rest.

And never use "Generic Sensors", always use "I KNOW WHAT IM DOING". They need to fix this.

While your at it, you might want to check your KNOCK RETARD in the graph.. if you used GENERIC SENSOR when your originally added it then it's the wrong thing.. it was changed to TOTAL RETARD which includes all kinds of retards, not just actual Knock Retard. Another GENERIC SENSORS blunder.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 12-13-2016 at 10:05 PM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    There isn't a conversion, you need to log the right PID. The correct PID for the PE THROTTLE/PEDAL table in the editer is "PE TPS". You should see PE TPS in the channels list, add it. It lines up exactly. Then you can put MAP at like 15kpa for enable, and use PE TPS to enter PE. YOur a Turbo so maybe need to adjust, but PE TPS is the channel you need to log. Ignore the rest.

And never use "Generic Sensors", always use "I KNOW WHAT IM DOING". They need to fix this.

While your at it, you might want to check your KNOCK RETARD in the graph.. if you used GENERIC SENSOR when your originally added it then it's the wrong thing.. it was changed to TOTAL RETARD which includes all kinds of retards, not just actual Knock Retard. Another GENERIC SENSORS blunder.
    Will do. Thanks!

I did not see PE TPS in the channels listing on the left hand side. I did see it however in the charts layout. Weird?

Tuning Addict
    Did you right click - add channel and look for it? If it's in the charts - it has to be in the channels typically to work...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

if you attach a log we can take a look. Maybe it has a slightly different name? PE should be in the name... PE Throttle, PE TPS, PE something
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Here
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuning Addict
    If it's got it - Right click - add channel - engine - accelerator and throttle - throttle - towards the bottom - pe tps (ratio)

Side Note - You might want to look into individual cylinder misfires and see why it's misfiring so much... If it was just cruise - I would think you had a cam and needed the misfire data tweaked, but it looks like it's missing worse with load - typically plugs, wire or coil problems...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    If it's got it - Right click - add channel - engine - accelerator and throttle - throttle - towards the bottom - pe tps (ratio)

Side Note - You might want to look into individual cylinder misfires and see why it's misfiring so much... If it was just cruise - I would think you had a cam and needed the misfire data tweaked, but it looks like it's missing worse with load - typically plugs, wire or coil problems...
    Thanks for catching that. I knew I had misfire counts but never really noticed how it got worse in boost. It does have heads and a bigger cam with msd wires and stock coils. Maybe that's part of my KR issues.

It sounds fine though.......

Oh, and I have logged the individual cylinders before and a couple of them seemed higher than others but they all had misfire counts on them. This was at part throttle though.