Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supercharged LS3 erratic commanded EQ\AFR

Tuner in Training

Supercharged LS3 erratic commanded EQ\AFR

Hey guys, having a bit of a troublesome one here. My commanded AFR is going all over the place during WOT. Have tried a bunch of different things in the tunes but nothing is consistent. the commanded EQ will jump anywhere from 11.2 to 14.7 depending on its mood. When I do get a complete pull seems as the car stays in O\L tables as it commands 11.3 and trims try to pull a bunch of fuel. I can make a pull and everything be ok, make adjustments to the tune but no adjustments to WOT fueling and next tune it'll command 14.7 at WOT. I'm hoping im missing something stupid but never had this issue before. Car makes good power when it cooperates(690ish) please see attached logs and tunes; log "Run8" corresponds with tune 5 and log "what2" goes with tune 7. No major changes were done between these two tunes. Just tried to clean it up a bit. Run 8 commanded 11.3 entire pull, What2 initially commanded 12.5 then jumped to 14.7. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. Im aware of the fuel pressure lol, dont feel its a contributing factor though. High PW yes, commanded AFR no
    Attached Files Attached Files

Files say tuner locked on my end.

What's the setup on the vehicle?

What mods, what fuel are you running, injectors stock or aftermarket??
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    looking at your log, your commanding 11.4 when not in full throttle.

there need to be some PE adjustments so that your not at wot the whole time as seen in the log
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Similar on my lsa swapped 07 tahoe so curious where this goes.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

Senior Tuner
    hitting airflow limits in the engine diag tab?
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

Tunes are tunerlocked. Unlock and re-post.

Tuner in Training
    Aloha guys, sorry about the locks. Forgot I had them set. Please see unlocked attached tunes.

car is a 2013 Camaro, D1 with 850's, unknown cam and long tubes. 6 speed. Has a 4" pulley so approx 8 or so lbs of boost.

To answer a couple of questions, typical airflow limit stuff has been disabled(P0068,P106, etc) . I see that its commanding 11.3 at all times in some runs, which is part of the issue Im having. PE table is setup the same I set up all other cars and never had this issue. I know everyone has their way of setting up PE but I dont see where I am hitting any PE triggers outside of WOT or vice versa.
    Again thanks a bunch for taking some time to give your input.

You have huge chunks of the open loop fueling tables set to 1.3. Set them back to 1, basically stok. No idea why you'd want to set them up like that but that will make it command 1/1.3=0.769 lambda. Seems to be about what you're seeing.

A little commonly unknown thing that happens with those tables is even though they say open loop, at startup it's common to be in an area that is commanding richer than lambda=1, BUT at the same time it's still actually in closed loop. Pay attention on a stock car on a cold morning sometime and you'll see it happen. It will be commanding something like 13:1 or richer and gradually go leaner but the O2 sensors/fuel trims will still come on and start oscillating because it's actually in closed loop. It's just a way for GM to add extra fuel I guess.

I don't know exactly 100% how they work but it seems like those are coming into play somehow.

Tables I'm referring to are under fuel-->open closed loop, gas gear, gas p/n, alcohol, etc. Everything under "open loop"

regardless, change the majority of that table back to stock and I think your issue is gone.

Also really should switch to a 2 or 3 bar map sensor and tune VVE but that's a whole other thread
    Last edited by schpenxel; 12-15-2016 at 01:00 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I tried with the open loop tables in stock(ish) form and same results. They werent flat lined like that and the results were even more erratic. This was the first time I ever made huge adjustments to the O\L tables like that as a test. I nullified all the gain\multipliers and just set the O\L to a desired AFR just to try and gain some consistency if that makes sense.

As far as map sensors and what not, I agree, but dont believe that pertains to this situation like you said lol. Thanks for the input

Well, it was worth a shot

Tuner in Training
    LOL...this freeking car, i NEED a shot. Appreciate the help though man, thanks

Senior Tuner
    don't 100% max out dtc test sequences. in open loop, aside from ivt for right now and inj temp gain, put those back to stock. {not stockish} also, as a simple test. zero out the tps trigger, set map to 100-120 kpa {whatever floats your boat} map hyst, enable rpm and rpm hyst = zero.

That's what I'd do

Tuner in Training
    Man, I had a whole reply written and when I posted it didnt go, but anyways thanks man Ill try and give it a shot. You say aside from IVT and Inj Temp? but those were the only ones I changed as far as multipliers\gains. Or am I reading wrong and you're suggesting to put those back to stock or the O\L tables back to stock?
    Ill try the PE adjustments you suggest and see, mahalo for the help

Senior Tuner
    leave the cl loop temp at 280, that's not the issue. ivt and temp gains are not causing this issue. AIR gain and AIR airflow gain, open loop gas and alcohol tables. Under MISC tab below air flow, put this back to stock as well. Mind you this is all a test. I put hpt on my work computer to pass time.

typically i see afr changes like this when the cot, cat test/rear 02 test is active, or the pe trigger rides that fine line. its not throwing misfire codes by chance is it?

Potential Tuner
    Having issues setting a base idle tune. It's a procharged 2015 Camaro ss. New to the forum and tuning looking for some help. I have data logged it at idle not sure how to post it but can email it

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    leave the cl loop temp at 280, that's not the issue. ivt and temp gains are not causing this issue. AIR gain and AIR airflow gain, open loop gas and alcohol tables. Under MISC tab below air flow, put this back to stock as well. Mind you this is all a test. I put hpt on my work computer to pass time.

typically i see afr changes like this when the cot, cat test/rear 02 test is active, or the pe trigger rides that fine line. its not throwing misfire codes by chance is it?
    Thanks for the clarification, sorry havent been able to get the car back up on the dyno, but will keep you guys posted.
    As far as misfire, actually the car came in with a broken valve spring(obviously causing a misfire). We replaced all springs\retainers and seals. Leak down on the dead cylinder was good, so dont think it kissed a valve. I havent dont a misfire test but theres no obvious indications or CEL.

Senior Tuner
    ls3's with blowers are for the most part straight forward after a few changes here and there, nothing radical is needed, which is why this seems a bit odd.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Area47 View Post
    ls3's with blowers are for the most part straight forward after a few changes here and there, nothing radical is needed, which is why this seems a bit odd.
    I'm with you man, this should be a relatively simple thing to tune and we tune quite a few cars. Not that I'm hot shit or anything but I shouldnt be getting stumped on this. lol
    I'm getting this C6 off the lift now and gonna strap the Camaro back down with your suggestions and see what happens. Thanks again for chiming in

Tuner in Training
    So strapped this thing back down and made the changes suggested. Unfortunately same thing. I did notice that fuel status stayed in "HOT FUEL" the whole time and commanded 43.5psi so I just set everything to 58psi to eliminate variables and also put a PID for PE trigger. Seems that system never goes into PE mode. What would cause that? Any suggestions?

Tune #1 corresponds to Run 1
    Tune #2 corresponds Run 2

As always, I appreciate any help