Thread: Help Diagnosing Rough Idle

Potential Tuner

Help Diagnosing Rough Idle

I have a rough idle that rears its ugly head primarily when the weather gets cold. During the summer it is fine, but as soon as winter sets in the idle gets so rough it shakes the whole truck. Ran a few scans to get balance rates and they look fine when in gear, but the balance rates don't read when in park the idle gets so rough so no idea what the balance rates are when the idle is acting up. What I can see is that the fuel and injection rates start dropping to 0 during the rough idle but the pressure remains relatively stable. Any ideas what might be the cause? I have attached the logs, any help in pin pointing the cause would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2005 Silverado 3500 LLY, 4" turbo back exhaust, S&B CAI with S&B turbo mouthpiece

Tuning Addict
    Goes away when a load is applied usually points to the dual mass flywheel going bad - that's if your auto has one - they were hit and miss... I've seen many a sets of injectors replaced because of misdiagnosed flywheels... Usually you can put a load on the engine via the trans then put it back into neutral when the problem is present - if the vibration is gone for a few moments then slowly returns - it's usually the flywheel...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

LLY ? I had the same problem with mine in the winter. Fine in PN--rough and smoking in gear. Is this what you have ?
    2009 Cadillac CTS-V 196.7 MPH on the Salt
    Superflow SF600 FlowBench -- Superflow Autodyn 30 Chassis Dyno -- Superflow SF901 Engine Dyno--RaceLogic Emulator -- MikiPro Logic Emulator -- ASNU Injector Flow Bench --

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Programmer View Post
    LLY ? I had the same problem with mine in the winter. Fine in PN--rough and smoking in gear. Is this what you have ?
    Yes, that pretty much sums it up.
    2005 Silverado 3500 LLY, 4" turbo back exhaust, S&B CAI with S&B turbo mouthpiece

Potential Tuner
    The weather warmed up enough to get some decent logs of the balance rates. I averaged the values I got for balance rates and the main fuel rate and did a few calculations to account for the main fuel rate in the balance rates per the post on dieselplace.com found here. Looks like I am looking at a full set of injectors unless anyone here has any other ideas on what might be causing my rough idle and blue/white smoke. Smoke is not coolant, first thing I checked.

Injector Balance Rate Results (31 Jan 2017).xlsx