Thread: 4L80E swap into 2013 Silverado with 4L60E - no segment swap

4L80E swap into 2013 Silverado with 4L60E - no segment swap

I just swapped in 4L80E into a 2013 Silverado that was originally 4.8/4L60E
    Got the wiring figured - switching over from internal to external PNP switch. It starts and runs, PRNDL indicator works.

I do have 08 Express 6.0/4L80E (from the depository) tune but apparently there is no segment swap for E38 to get 4L80E solenoid pattern.

Do I have to use relay pack or can you just copy over the tune and "encoded bits" will take care of the solenoid shift pattern?

Thanks.

To answer my own question:
    Transmission > Auto Shift Properties > General > Shift Solenoid Pattern
    Change that to 4L80E pattern, tweak the other basics - and done.

Thanks again.

Welp, TCC is acting a fool and seems there is no cure for it. Going to try 08 Express complete overwrite and go from there. Will keep updated.

In attempt to write entire 08 Express van over 13 Silverado I have somehow corrupted the VIN number - basically bricking the E38. I have e-mailed the support, but I am afraid this will have to be fixed via TechII at the dealer

Advanced Tuner
    Controller and Operating System compatibility is something you should always verify, before attempting to reprogram.

There are compatibility lists ... a Google search should help.

Very broadly, with respect to the E38:

• 2007 and 2008 hardware / software are generally compatible
    • 2009 is often an island unto itself
    • 2010+ hardware / software are generally compatible

Shredding the VIN is not usually a fatal issue. If you have corrupted the ECM's serial number, well that could be a problem - because a Tech2 / MDI will not reflash that area of the ECM's memory.

Did you try to write the ECM with the 2008 file as well?

All you really needed to do is write the 2008 TCM file but not write the ECM. Then pull the ECM/TCM back out together with the now 4L80E TCM OS.

Problem is I'm not sure the CAN communication is correct for the 2008 TCM OS to work with the 2010+ ECM OS's.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

I am taking the truck to the dealer (friend) to see if we can revive the scrambled one first.
    I got another 13 PCM as a backup.

I can tell that with 13 TCM OS and 4L80E - trans temp didn't work, and PWM would go 100% at 9mph regardless of gear or what I did till I set maximum to "0".

With 08 TCM flash - the truck is stuck 3rd, while indicating 2nd. Trans temp is working.

I will try hybriding the tune - 13 PCM and 08 TCM (write separate - read as one).

Worst case scenario - I might have to use 4L60E lock-up solenoid instead of the PWM for the lock up.

Thanks for all your help guys, I will keep you updated.

Advanced Tuner
    If you have access to GM flash equipment (your friend), then flash the E38 with the original 2013 calibration, and flash the T42 with a 2009 4L80 calibration from a full-size van.

Best to flash these separately, and out of the vehicle (bench flash).

The bricked PCM was properly fooked - no possible recovery.

I was able to flash a junk yard computer (from 2011) to 2013 PCM and existing T42 with 09 Express Van 4L80E ...

We'll see.

Something is not lining up with 08/09 TCM tunes. I can freely "write entire" - but anything but the modified 2013 4L60E tune puts the TCU in limp mode (displays stuck in 2nd - but the transmission is in 3rd). I can still force it through gears via scanner but that's not the desired results.

I am thinking about trying an older T42 to see if there is a hardware/software compatibility issue. On the other hand the only thing that doesn't work in 2013 T42 with 4L80E is a proper lock-up - maybe I'll just use ON/OFF solenoid in 4th gear instead of PWM.

Here is where I am at. 08/09 4L80E tune refuses to work - stuck in limp mode with no CELs.

With 2013 4L60E tune and copy 4L80E over - everything works except for TCC.
    With proper wiring the 4L60E tune is trying to pre-prime the TCC therefore locking the converter in 1st gear - so that's a no go.
    I have rewired actual solenoid wire to pin "S" since all I want is the TCC to be an on/off switch. I have turned off the codes for the TCC PMW.

So now, I start driving - at around 10mph the TCC PMW starts coming up (which does nothing), at 55mph the solenoid signal kicks in and the converter locks up - but then immediately UNLOCKS!!!
    I don't see anything in the tune to tell it to unlock. Please help!!!

I can lock it and unlock it with the scanner no problem

P.S. The truck is on the dyno with ABS fuses pulled. There are codes for MAF (it is in SD) and crank CASE.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Unplug the ISS and disable the codes.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Unplug the ISS and disable the codes.
    That totally worked!!! Thank you so much. If you ever in OK I will buy you a beer/dinner/hooker LOL

This is out to get me. Unplugging the ISS makes the lock-up work - but puts the trans torque management into a limp mode - kills the car WOT. It really even doesn't have to do with ISS itself - just changing the DTC affects it: ON or No MIL - great WOT but no lock-up, No Errors - lock-up works but no WOT.
    During WOT everything looks clean on the datalog - but it sounds like a revlimiter.

Don't zero out abuse mode stuff. Put it back to stock.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Advanced Tuner
    Did this wind up working? How did you wire the I.S.S for the 4L80E, was it to the same pins as the 4L60E, or did you wire it to the same pins on the T42 TCM, as a 4L80E? They low ref for I.S.S goes to different pins, I wonder if that would be the key to getting the I.S.S working on the 4L80E?

Potential Tuner
    I'm in for an update as well. Having the same issue.