Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FG F6 - The Tuning Journey

Tuner
    welcome Demon,

i like the idea of the KPM setup and with some changes it will work as its supposed to. however you will find that the Venturi in the bottom of the pot is the restriction ad essentially Regulating your pressure.. I was one of the first to use this setup and i addressed these issues, but in their opinion their was nothing wrong with it... as Toads mentioned, disconnect the return into a bucket and monitor the pressure, if it drops then something after the reg is the restriction, if not, then its the reg

however, in my experience, the venturi will be smaller, so no matter what, reg, rail or lines you get, it will be "regulating" the fuel flow

you will be surprised how many "Professionals" don't think there is an issue running the system in this way, i.e the herrod and KPM drop in 460 setups, has anyone actually checked base pressure with these installed? i think you'll be surprised

drilling the venturi will effect how the swirl pot fills up and you may introduce fuel surge, so if your going to drill it, do it in small steps

i run the twin 460 intank setup with -8 SS feed and return, PW rail, and a big Magnaflow reg.. its happily supporting 550rwkw in all conditions

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the feedback Peppy. Aren't these kits engineered for the increased flow? I can understand that the fuel pressure is a little high with the shitty little regs they use (hole size looks marginally bigger than standard) but from what i could tell the return side of the delrin top all looked pretty decent. I never pulled apart the stainless bucket etc, but would be surprised if they under engineered the return side. The whole basket is custom, so why would it have the venturi issues that the stock baskets do with larger pumps installed. Surely this would have been considered with their designs!

So yours was restrictive when first installed? Looks like you've got the slightly bigger brother to mine being the 1500hp unit.

Look very worst case i could run some custom lines if required, but i've seen time and time again these cars run well into the 9's with stock line setups, so clearly the stock lines are adequate for some decent power. I'll be running well of out puff before the factory lines are the bottleneck.

Advanced Tuner
    The lines are fine in most cases. But the return has always been the main issue.

You essentially have two options:

1) drop the return from the reg into a bucket and gauge the pressure. If you discover the pressure drops to 4 bar base, ring KPM and whinge. When they retaliate and say that's the design pressure, ask for injector calibration data for that elevated base pressure.

2) see Peppy's response regarding the Venturi and be done with it.

Tuner
    Sorry, I didn't mean that you had to change your lines or reg, I meant that you shouldn't have to, so before jumping to a larger reg and rail, disconnect the return to check if that is infact the problem..

Mine started out as the twin 300's however the DW300's are definitely not e85 rated and failed, so keep that in mind also, he now uses twin denso pumps.. the issues I had were when I had the Twin 300's, I only went to the bigger lines etc when I installed the 460's

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy_t View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean that you had to change your lines or reg, I meant that you shouldn't have to, so before jumping to a larger reg and rail, disconnect the return to check if that is infact the problem..

Mine started out as the twin 300's however the DW300's are definitely not e85 rated and failed, so keep that in mind also, he now uses twin denso pumps.. the issues I had were when I had the Twin 300's, I only went to the bigger lines etc when I installed the 460's
    Too late about the reg. Already purchased

As for the DW300's not being E85 compatible, the deatschwerks site would beg to differ (http://www.deatschwerks.com/resource...oubleshooting/) there is specifically a question around the DW300 and is it E85 compatible. Their response is "Yes, the DW300-series pump was designed and tested with e85 in mind."

Not saying you're info isn't correct, but the manufacturer definitely rates them as being compatible. Couldn't you have taken it up with DW if you ran into issues with it?

Tuner
    I am aware of what they claim, but just going of experince, I have had 4 dw300's fail once introduced to e85..

Good luck mate