Thread: 2012 6L80 vs 2015 6L80 tune

Potential Tuner

2012 6L80 vs 2015 6L80 tune

I just bought a 2012 Sillverado 6.2 6L80 that I've been starting to tune the trans on. A 2015 yukon with a 6L80 just came in the shop. Driving it, you could tell the trans parameters were different. The 2015 was much better shifting. Curious to know if copy in the tune would be safe. Should be the same trans right? Should be able to completely copy the Yukon tune right?

Is the 2015 a 6.2 like the 2012?

Have you compared the two trans tunes to look at the differences?

Potential Tuner
    no i think it's a 5.3 but several areas are different. attached are the 2 files. Black truck is a 12, Zach is a 15.

wondered if the code evolved over the years. i would think the differences wouldn't be engine related
    Attached Files Attached Files

I would just tune yours to your liking.

Looks like several tables are differernt and some are the same. Some have different numbers in the axis so it won't just copy straight over.

Shift time torque factor > upshift normal, is one to adjust for quicker shifts. I would not go faster than .3000 as these heavy trucks will clunk/slam into gear if you go too fast.

I mildly adjust the shift pressure, maybe 5-10% if that most of the time.

Next is the on-coming pressure presets, I add anywhere from 10-30% depending on needs and which one I am adjusting. (0,1,2 where 0 gets the most and 2 not as much) You may understand that once you look at the table. Gears 1-4 are pretty much the only once to mess with as 5th and 6th are overdrive gears.

Once all changes are done you have to reset the presets via the scanner before you drive it or the changes won't take. Just open the scanner and start logging KOEO and find the transmission reset/preset under VCM controls. Click reset and then preset and start the truck, then go for a drive. First few shifts might be a little lurchy.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Five Finger.
    can you check out where i'm at right now? i have the same year as you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Looks okay, you'll just have to drive it and see how it feels like and let the shifts settle in.

I run slightly more psi in my on-coming pressure presets than you have currently, mainly in the 1 and 2 but not much. Sometimes it's a little game you play with it. If you notice that it bangs or lurches a little too much you may have to back the actual shift pressure off slightly from what you've adjusted it too.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Some background information you may find interesting: I don't believe GM changed anything substantial within the physical transmission itself, so settings from the 2015 transmission should work acceptably on a post 2011 6L80. One of the primary reasons that the transmissions in the newer vehicles shift better is because most of the new engines employ direct injection, and are overall much better at characterizing their torque output. Because the speed/time/pressure of every shift that the 6L80 performs is based on the torque that is delivered to it, and because this torque value is received from the engine computer, it follows that better torque characterization and control by the ECM will result in better shifting by the TCM, even with the same exact transmission and controller.

Now, on to what we can do to make the older vehicles shift almost as well as the new ones. Because of operating system incompatibilities, you will almost certainly not be able to just flash in the tune from the 2015 to your 2012; HPT or EFI won't let you because there is a good chance you would brick your TCM. Furthermore, as mentioned above, many of the tables have changed over the past few years. What you can do, with a little Excel trickery/hand math is interpolate to convert each of the various shift time/pressure tables to be compatible with the older OS, and copy the values over. It's a bit time consuming, but I have found it to be worth it, and indeed better than most "professional" transmission tunes.

How did I find all this out? I myself have a 2013 Corvette with the 6L80, and my father bought a 2014 Corvette a few months after I got mine. Like you, I noticed that the new one shifted much better than mine, even with a tune, so I went to work on the tuning myself. You won't be able to get it quite there, because of the reasons I listed above, but I think you'll be very satisfied with the results if you put the time in. If you'd like, I'll post my latest tune up here for you to look at (but with the extreme difference between the cars I would be hesitant to directly copy it as what works fine in my 600hp, triple disc, 3200 stall, H/C car may feel very harsh in your truck). Hope some of this helps.