Thread: anyone experienced with the new 9spd fwd cars?

Tuner in Training

anyone experienced with the new 9spd fwd cars?

looking for tech help in improving the shifts and glitches in the new 9 speed models. being these trans are made in germany ,should i check in at a different forum?

All you can do is stay on the latest OEM software. Updates come out pretty regularly as Chrysler tries to get the quirks out. They're close.
    Level 3 Master Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Ram technician
    20 years experience

Potential Tuner
    Most of the "glitches" in the shifting of the ZF9 speeds are due to the engagement and release of the 2 dog clutches that are inside the unit. The TCM has to speed match the shafts to allow the dog clutch to apply/release and it will do multiple different things to accomplish this, from TQ management to partially applying solenoids that aren't even used during the shift in question to either speed up or slow down the shafts. The controls on these solenoids (looking at them with a 10 channel scope) are some of the most complex that I have seen, and are no where near consistent or repeatable. The TCM allows up to 3 seconds for the shift to complete before it aborts the shift, Shifts affected are the 4-5 & 7-8, and 8-7 & 5-4

Tuner in Training
    Bringing this up from the dead. Here is a nice 948TE presentation full of info:
    http://www.atra.com/Webinars/Chrysle...troduction.pdf

Also, I know this trans isn't supported yet. Is there any way to help accelerate the development of it? Do you guys (HPtuners engineering) need a TCM?

We have no plans to support it at this time.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    We have no plans to support it at this time.
    But........ :'(

Ok. If (hopefully) at some point you decide it may be an option, I'm willing to help out.

Bummerr

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfool View Post
    looking for tech help in improving the shifts and glitches in the new 9 speed models. being these trans are made in germany ,should i check in at a different forum?
    You are in the right area, and not all or very many are made in Germany, if you have an early Chrysler variant (948TE) another glitch was due to snap ring design that during the 5-4 downshift it would walk the snap ring out of the case. Had to fix many of those during that recall...