Thread: Early 04 auto to manual swap?

Advanced Tuner

Early 04 auto to manual swap?

I have a early 04 truck that swapped from a auto to a manual trans. Is it possible to convert to a manual OS through hptuners yet? Or can I send a read into hptuners and get it changed?

Thanks!

Advanced Tuner
    I got a response from hptuners support. I'll paste it here incase anybody else is looking for this information.

Unfortunately this is not a service we will be offering, if we see alot of people asking for this we might look into it later down the road but at this time we have no immediate plans to add any segment swap functionality for this application.

I'm curious..... Why do you need to swap the OS? Cant you just turn off the auto trans switch and codes and run it? I've never tried the swap on a cummins. Done plenty of gas things that work just fine swapped.
    2003 305/555 QCSB Cummins
    Piston/rod/sleeve/fire ring/dual CP3/300 overs
    Super Stick NV5600
    S366/S480

Advanced Tuner
    I am not sure? Maybe somebody else has tried?

Potential Tuner
    I would love to see this available. I am in the process of helping a buddy out with his power plant transplant and he is going manual valve body transmission.

Tuner in Training
    Almost every cummins swap I've been involved with went manual so yeah add it in HP.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Mike View Post
    I'm curious..... Why do you need to swap the OS? Cant you just turn off the auto trans switch and codes and run it? I've never tried the swap on a cummins. Done plenty of gas things that work just fine swapped.
    Here's what I have experience with. GM 1.4 Turbo engines using the E78 ECM. When converting from automatic to manual and changing the transmission type to manual, the Speedometer will read 158 MPH. The AUTOMATIC wiring harness does NOT have the VSS inputs wired to the ECN connector. The solution I have found to work is add the VSS wires to the connector, do a write entire to the ECM with a manual tune. Then using an aftermarket VSS sensor screwed onto the T5 speedometer drive will make the speedometer work.
    If there is a way around that I'd love to know it.
    My swaps have all been into off road vehicles, but the E78 seems to need the VSS to get to full power. If there were some way to make the 158 reading be 45 MPH that might work too, I don't know.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Potential Tuner
    we defiantly need this option available i have a customer currently asking about this

Some vehicles used the output shaft speed sensor for vehicle speed. Others used the ABS module. '04 - '05 was a weird time for Dodge.
    Level 3 Master Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Ram technician
    20 years experience

Tuner
    MANUALS also have diffrent tps!
    Joe ''House'' Kupferschmid
    Diesel Tuning man..
    FB me or
    www.angoladavesdiesel.com

Quote Originally Posted by House View Post
    MANUALS also have diffrent tps!
    You gone crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by Moparmatty View Post
    You gone crazy?
    Its true. 03-04 manuals have a different TPS located under the battery not on the engine. But I believe it behaves the same way as the auto one....
    Super Stick NV5600
    S366/S480

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Mike View Post
    Its true. 03-04 manuals have a different TPS located under the battery not on the engine. But I believe it behaves the same way as the auto one....
    I have only ever seen one under the battery and it was a 2004.5

Joe was making it sound like the APPS sensor is a totally different part on a manul truck.

When you order a replacement Apps sensor it is the same part number from 1998.5-2004.
    Last edited by Moparmatty; 03-31-2017 at 07:56 AM.

Joe was making it sound like the APPS sensor is a totally different part on a manul truck.

When you order a replacement Apps sensor it is the same part number from 1998.5-2004.
    Both my early 04 truck and 04.5 6 speed trucks have the "other" one that's under the battery. The 98.5-04 one does NOT work on these trucks. Ask me how I know lol.
    That's the one that attaches to the block, and is found on ALL auto trucks, since they have the connection to the transmission cable on it.

Normal one:
    https://puredieselpower.com/dodge-pr...-tps-apps.html

"special one"
    https://puredieselpower.com/dodge-pr...3032456ae.html
    Last edited by Turbo_Mike; 04-04-2017 at 02:05 PM.
    Super Stick NV5600
    S366/S480

Tuner

Also have had a 03 with it!
    Joe ''House'' Kupferschmid
    Diesel Tuning man..
    FB me or
    www.angoladavesdiesel.com

so can you just write entire a manual file into the ECU and disable security?

asking for a friend

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 68Camaro View Post
    so can you just write entire a manual file into the ECU and disable security?

asking for a friend
    That is the proper way of doing an Auto to Manual or Manual to Auto switch. But unfortunately HP does not allow this. Whit the EFILive we just change the vin in the new base auto/manual file and flash that into the controller. I sure wish HP would just license the controller serial number, instead on worrying about the VIN number. That would make this kind of stuff no problem. Also would fix any problems of getting a bad data reads of 04.5-09 trucks. Just keep a data base of good base files to work off of.

BTW when I do this (with EFILive) I leave security enabled, you do not need to disable it if you have the proper VIN number in the file.

Sam
    Last edited by 30 RUM; 06-05-2017 at 09:10 AM.