Thread: 2006 F-150 VCT Disable questions- Massachusetts

Potential Tuner

2006 F-150 VCT Disable questions- Massachusetts

Newbie- great forum.

I'm looking to disable my VCT system on my high mileage 5.4 3v and I've read that lots of guys use the suite to do that. I have a few questions:

1: Anyone with experience doing this near me in Massachusetts/Rhode Island?

2: Will disabling the VCT system simply by checking the disable box- also address codes related to cam timing errors or is there more that needs to be done address those codes?

3: Of those who have done this, has anyone done it WITHOUT doing physical phaser lock-outs? My truck runs fine just with the VCT solenoids disconnected. It stays at base timing but it throws codes and a CEL within 2 start-ups.

4: Can anyone offer any guidance on which parameters can/should be tuned in light of the disabled VCT system, that might help with economy and/or power?

thanks in advance

Flip the switch to disable it, there is nothing else you need to do.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Potential Tuner
    thanks Eric- So flipping the switch will disable all related trouble codes automatically? Do you know if doing this will create any inspection related problems such as checksum errors or readiness monitor faults?

Quote Originally Posted by jav View Post
    thanks Eric- So flipping the switch will disable all related trouble codes automatically? Do you know if doing this will create any inspection related problems such as checksum errors or readiness monitor faults?
    Flipping it will take care of everything, I am pretty sure all of the monitors will still pass.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Potential Tuner
    Awesome- thank you!

Last question-

right now I'm using an edge tuner with a modified "stock" tune. By "modified" I mean I've adjusted tire size and raised the base RPM +100- no other changes to fueling, timing or anything else. I presume I'll have back those changes out and un-marry the Edge? Once I do that and flash my VCT changes using the HP suite... do you know If I can re-install the Edge just to have real time PID gauges or will that mess with the flash done with the HP suite?

Quote Originally Posted by jav View Post
    Awesome- thank you!

Last question-

right now I'm using an edge tuner with a modified "stock" tune. By "modified" I mean I've adjusted tire size and raised the base RPM +100- no other changes to fueling, timing or anything else. I presume I'll have back those changes out and un-marry the Edge? Once I do that and flash my VCT changes using the HP suite... do you know If I can re-install the Edge just to have real time PID gauges or will that mess with the flash done with the HP suite?
    Best bet is to return it to stock, then make your changes with HP Tuners. If you can use the Edge device as a monitor, that won't be a problem.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Where is this disable box? Ive scrolled through the tune a couple times and I don't see it anywhere. Working on a 2004 3v 5.4 Thanks
    2012 Cruze 1.4T, mods to come.....
    1994 Chev Work Truck 6 liter with PT76GTS/4L80e
    1993 S10 Blazer AWD 6 liter with LS3 heads/4L80e

I found it. I think Nyquill was hiding it from me last night lol.

Quote Originally Posted by l-eater View Post
    Where is this disable box? Ive scrolled through the tune a couple times and I don't see it anywhere. Working on a 2004 3v 5.4 Thanks
    2012 Cruze 1.4T, mods to come.....
    1994 Chev Work Truck 6 liter with PT76GTS/4L80e
    1993 S10 Blazer AWD 6 liter with LS3 heads/4L80e