Thread: 09 Z06 VATS disable and no keyfob detected

Tuner in Training

09 Z06 VATS disable and no keyfob detected

Hi all. Is there any more info available about what the disable VATS option does in a non engine swapped original PCM otherwise OEM car?

My car has become increasingly difficult to start due to the no keyfob detected BS.

There was some suggestion that the VATS disable flash still needed to see the fob but used a wider area of detection?

Anyone know for sure before I flash it and potentially break something?

Thanks.

Tuner in Training
    No one? Anyone?

HPT support?

HPT cannot do anything with the RCDLR, where the fob detection/identification happens.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    HPT cannot do anything with the RCDLR, where the fob detection/identification happens.
    So what does the VATS disable actually do in a standard car?

Do you have access to factory service manuals and a tool that can access the BCM & RCDLR? If no on either, leave this to someone else. A 'no fobs detected' message is not VATS related. VATS is something that happens between BCM and ECM. 'No fobs detected' happens solely when there is a RCDLR issue. The fuel+crank enable password (VATS) exchanged between ECM & BCM happens only after the RCDLR has made its yes/no decision.

In other words, if the RCDLR decides 'NO!', VATS is not what prevents cranking/starting.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Do you have access to factory service manuals and a tool that can access the BCM & RCDLR? If no on either, leave this to someone else. A 'no fobs detected' message is not VATS related. VATS is something that happens between BCM and ECM. 'No fobs detected' happens solely when there is a RCDLR issue. The fuel+crank enable password (VATS) exchanged between ECM & BCM happens only after the RCDLR has made its yes/no decision.
    Yes have the manuals. Am considering the VCX Nano.

I did have to laugh a little. I'm pretty sure the interference from having the MPVI interface plugged in was causing some of the issue.

The car has never detected the fob unless it was in the glove box slot.

I bought another fob(only had1) ran the long relearn procedure successfully on both fobs.

Immediately after it wouldn't detect the fobs even in the glove box slot.

Unplug MPVI, it detects the key now in the cup holder, which it never did before. But doesn't detect it in the glovebox slot.

WTF - lol!

I really despise the keyless system, especially the early iterations, the only ones I had experience with. Diagnosis is (was?) difficult and opaque, potential interference there was no way to identify could break it, invisibly, completely at random, etc. I specifically love the line in the manual about "If it does not work, move the vehicle to a different location" (or something like that). Well that's certainly a practical diagnostic step. Thanks a lot.