Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mpfi intake swap vortec 5.7

Advanced Tuner
    I've gotten the truck dialed in for the most part now. -2 -5 avg trims for the most part I'm very happy with it, I was heading to the track last night, But it got rained out. My horsepower math is showing just at and over 320hp after the cam swap and added compression. Im going to line up against a stock lt1 Camaro today, just to see how the truck compares, I'll be at least 1100 lbs heavier than the car. Last time I put the truck on the scales at work it was 4500lbs with me in it, with more than half a tank of gas. Your right about improved throttle response with the engine slightly on the rich side I've noticed this with most vehicles I've tuned. It seems only carb setups favor a slight lean condition compared to efi.

Advanced Tuner
    Small update went to the track over the weekend and managed to make 7-8 runs. unfortunately traction issues kept me from what I was shooting for. With an open differential and street tires, I squeaked out one 14.968@94 run. I was having to full lift for the 1-2 shift and kept spinning the right rear on the 2-3 shift. 60' times were terrible best was 2.384 I'm fairly confident the truck has a mid 14 in it. rather than investing in a posi. i believe im going to throw a mini spool in the factory 10 bolt. With a set of sticky tires i think i'll be satisfied where it ends up.

I have a mini spool for a 28 spline 10 bolt. Yours for the cost of shipping. I have no use for it
    2001 Jimmy ,L31 with marine intake,CPC conversion,Nv3500 5 speed,SAS,Dana 44's front and rear,4.30 gears..

Advanced Tuner
    Pm sent

Let us know how that 10 bolt liked the spool.
    Just curious.

ya i wana see some carnage pics myself. I blew one up with an open carrier. LOL
    2001 Jimmy ,L31 with marine intake,CPC conversion,Nv3500 5 speed,SAS,Dana 44's front and rear,4.30 gears..

Advanced Tuner
    Oh there will be carnage, but I figure spend 85-100 bucks on a mini spool and let it eat for a few weeks while it holds together. If i could get it to hold up for a couple 1.9 60' launches ill be a happy camper, And after the sad day another factory 10 bolt explodes into 10,000 pieces I'll roll my spare 14 bolt full floater underneath the truck. It'll look real funny with a set of 5 lug wheels up front and some 8 lug out back. But at least I know that diff will take any beating I decide to give it.

I see disgruntled track workers in your future,....explosion pics would be cool though.

That full float 14 is a beast,..... (track workers will love the sight of that)
    I put a Detroit Helical Locker in my rear and it locks both sides immediately upon unleashing the right foot. Both black lines are identical. I don't know how well those Helicles do at the track,...but, I was impressed on the street,... Spins both 35" BFG's all terrains in the blink of an eye,...and truck doesn't slide to either side (my bars might be playing a little here too).
    Totally restored - 1996 GMC K1500 ext cab, HT383e swap, MPFI spider, 0411 PCM swap, FLT Level 5 4L60e with Sonnax Smart Tech input housing, Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler with -6AN lines, 1-5/8" Hedman Husler long tube race headers with 2-1/2"ss dual exhaust, rebuilt 3.73 rear axle with Yukon/Detroit Helical locker, 6" ProComp lift with steering stabilizer and rear traction bars, 35x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains, Perma-Cool e-fans, etc, etc, etc,..

I don`t think you can easily break a 14 bolt.
    But the weight will kill your ET/SPEED.
    Without a good posi or a locker you still have a peg leg.
    The GM gov lock that was in some of them is very easy to break.
    It`s just a bigger POS than the 10 bolt had.
    Why don`t you use a ten bolt with an Auburn clutch posi?
    Add a set of 373s or 411s and forget about the rear.
    I`ve built a ton of ten bolts for the local 4x4s.
    They take a lot of abuse with the 5.14+ rear gears and 40" tires.
    Last edited by Earwax; 07-10-2017 at 09:03 PM.

Apologies guys, I didn't explain better,.....I meant "disgruntled track workers" when that 10 bolt potentially explodes and leaves a strip of axle oil down the track.
    Your right Earwax, you can build a 10 bolt to handle it,.... for roughly the same money (although it be more labor), I'd lean towards the 14 full float and worry no more. Agree that Gov-Lock is a POS for anyone not driving like Ms Daisy.
    Totally restored - 1996 GMC K1500 ext cab, HT383e swap, MPFI spider, 0411 PCM swap, FLT Level 5 4L60e with Sonnax Smart Tech input housing, Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler with -6AN lines, 1-5/8" Hedman Husler long tube race headers with 2-1/2"ss dual exhaust, rebuilt 3.73 rear axle with Yukon/Detroit Helical locker, 6" ProComp lift with steering stabilizer and rear traction bars, 35x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains, Perma-Cool e-fans, etc, etc, etc,..

Advanced Tuner
    Agreed the Gov bomb sucks but the 14 bolt is already sitting there, with 3.73 gears i might add. I could pull the carrier and pinion from the 10 bolt and build it right. I honestly haven't decided which will happen yet but either way in the end there will be a full locker or posi unit purchased. as sloppy as the 10 bolt is already, im considering welding the spiders and seeing how long it last. rather than spending money i could be putting to something better like said auburn clutch posi unit. in the end of the day i do have my doubts about the 10 holding together, even after a full build. after all im not putting it through the same stresses as the 4x4 guys do. Im trying to get it to dead hook from a 3000-3500 rpm clutch drop. which has got to be harder on it than coming off the clutch or a trans brake in the mud/dirt. no doubt in the near future I will have a broken carrier/ring gear or an annihilated pinion gear. as stated before the factory 10 bolt has tons of slop in it already. Ill have to do the research and see whats cost me the least in the long run.

Advanced Tuner
    I blew up my factory 80K mile 8.5 10-bolt in my Express van less than 2,000 miles after the 4L80E swap. 4L80E shifted too hard for it and somehow caused the crush sleeve to crush and the pinon nut to loosen, taking the gears in the process. I pulled its puny excuse of a rear end and put a LD 2500 Express Van 9.5" 14-bolt with 3.73s and the factory G80. I had a competent machine shop weld and redrill the axles to go from 6 on 5.5 to 5 on 5. Then bolted my factory 8.5 backing plates and 3" wide drums to it. Added a set of 8,600 GVW wheel cylinders to match the 8,600 GvW front calipers and pads. All that matches the 1-ton hydroboost and master cylinder. The factory G80 has held up to everything I have thrown its way so far.

Advanced Tuner
    Well as predicted the stock replacment oreilly's clutch was the first thing to go. The clutch disc center steel between the clutch material broke and flung clutch material and steel into my bellhousing doing a bit of a a number there.

clutch carnage.jpg

clutch carnage 2.jpg

clutch carnage 1.jpg

A couple carnage pics
    Last edited by Oleblu; 10-14-2017 at 09:49 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    ouch!

It could have been worse. Seen a flywheel and clutch come apart. Flywheel come through the floor and stuck in the firewall. Tranny sounded like dishes breaking when it hit the pavement, and took a good chunk of the new 5.3 block

Advanced Tuner
    That sounds terrible. luckily I just pulled it apart and slapped a new slave cylinder and clutch on it. Took most of Saturday laying on the ground without a transmission jack. using a floor jack in my driveway to get the trans out and in, that was sketch lol. But all is well now, I even managed to get the new clutch/pressure plate under warranty. That was 340 bucks I didn't have to spend thank God. since this went down iv'e decided to start getting the 4l80 ready for swap just in case something else happens.

You should be able to do an NV3500 by laying it on your chest and benching it up in there. hell ive done it. They dont weigh that much. LOL

Advanced Tuner
    Ha I think any of us running an nv3500 turning our own wrenches has been there. I think the trans full up with fluid is somewhere in the ball park of 130-150lbs maybe. The real trick was keeping my 19 month and 3 year old sons out from under the truck while i was working. theres nothing more satisfying than getting the truck back together and hearing my 3 year old son come running to the truck screaming BURNOUTS as soon as it started. Sadly for him we had to break in the clutch a little before he got his smoke show. I like to think I'm raising them right if they like burnouts, shooting guns and playing in the dirt.

Advanced Tuner
    And the nv3500 is down for the count. Lots of high rpm vibration, It started whining getting constantly louder, also was getting stiff to shift. I took it all back apart and pulled the input shaft cover plate off and found all sorts of glitter in the fresh oil. drained the oil and found alot more of what seemed like the metal flake painters love to use lol. Needless to say i'm going to invest in a built th400. I don't really want to put the 4l80e I have out back in the truck yet, as it needs freshening up and i need to do a good bit of wiring to get the 80e to work properly I'm going to swallow my stick shift pride and move on to some consistency at the track. The th400/3000 stall should do me just fine with the 3.42 gears. coming out of 1st at round 60@6100rpm shifting from 2nd to 3rd around 100mph which is just above my best trap so far. probably be just under 3000 rpm at 75 on the highway. so the non lockup shouldn't be any real issue. hopefully ill get to order some parts sometime next week. I could use some opinions on a floor shifter as i'm undecided in this area still.

Ya my NV3500 is getting kinda hard to shift also. Been trying not to beat on it to much. I just cant bring myself to go to an auto. Take all the fun out of driving