Thread: 6.7L Engine modes

Tuner in Training

6.7L Engine modes

What are the 4 different engine modes that i see in a 2015 6.7 ? or what are the parameters that set each mode. I see that there is a change in pilot, main and post injection for each. The reason i ask is I'm wondering where to make my changes. Thanks for any info.

From what I have heard, Mode 0 is normal operation, Mode 1 is regen warm up, Mode 2 is active regen, mode 3 is Partially homogeneous combustion (not exactly sure what that is for but it's emissions related), and mode 4 is some sort of NOX regen. Pretty much all except mode 0 are emissions related

Tuner in Training
    Awesome, that's what i need to know. So all my adjustments should be in mode 0. Wonder if if some deletes could be done by preventing these modes to keep codes from setting?

Senior Tuner
    Regen warm up helps every thing get up to temp for emissions and reduce particulate. Usually for cold or warm engine start ups

During active regen fuel is injected into the exhaust to raise exhaust temps to help burning of particulate matter in the filter. This significantly effects fuel mileage. The ECM constantly monitors the particulate filter loading. Stop and go traffic and lots of idling will activate more than highway driving. This filter is what prevents the black soot build up on the tail pipes.

Partially homogeneous combustion is for warm or hot engine start up mode.

The NOX regen mode sounds like DEF being used instead of extra fuel in the exhaust. Most likely during stop and go or long idling conditions to prevent active regen and increase fuel mileage.

LP, MP, HP = Low, Medium, and High Pressure. CE, WE, HE = Cold, Warm, and Hot Engine. CA, WA, HA = Cold, Warm, and Hot Air

The mode is made up of configs determined by one of the 27 combinations of these conditions vs what gear you are in.
    The config determines the injection(s) that can be used.
    Mode zero does not control any injection when the exhaust is hot and air is warm or hot, but it can control all injections as thats the config it is set to. The other modes can control injection under any conditions, but are limited to the various injections as they are limited set to certain configs. zeroing out these modes should prevent their control of any injection and disable them. I wouldn't do this unless you removed your particulate filter or Selective Catalytic Reduction from your exhaust.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the additional information. Your correct in that i wouldn't zero anything out unless it has been removed.

So on a deleted truck, will it only use mode 0? Do the modes determine which configs are used or do the configs determine the mode? I'm trying to figure how to use as few maps as necessary. Is post injection ever needed if the dpf is removed? And are two pilot injections needed or will it run just fine with one?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jr2185 View Post
    So on a deleted truck, will it only use mode 0? Do the modes determine which configs are used or do the configs determine the mode? I'm trying to figure how to use as few maps as necessary. Is post injection ever needed if the dpf is removed? And are two pilot injections needed or will it run just fine with one?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWreFRbnKI0
    ^^^guy tunes out pilot injection so it is possible. I am not 100% sure about the mode 0 thing. I will try zeroing everything out this afternoon as my PC went down finally and I don't feel like dual booting my mac but my new one is in.

The descriptions in this thread so far are great. But is there anyway someone could explain how the different configs,maps and modes relate to one another like injection config 1-4 having modes 0-4, timing maps 1-4 having timing configs 0-9, which subsequently have modes 0-4. Also, if you have an online resource that explains this stuff in more detail that would be awesome. The online help from HPT seems to be extremely light.

Tuner in Training
    Ok so I have been playing around with this for a few days as i am driving a hell of a lot for for work the past several days and thanks to a Microsoft surface, i can easily change make adjustments and get back on the road.

From what i have found so far, for the main even diesel timing, maps 2, 3 and 4 are not used if emissions equipment is disabled. Although though i am still not 100% sure which configs are used, the truck seems to only 'switch modes' when cold, in park and in drive. Today I will be zeroing out maps 2, 3 and 4 so fingers crossed my data logs and assumptions are accurate.
    Here is the tune i will be running as of right now, still making some tweaks to it.
    MapsZeroedOutTRIAL.hpt

I seem to be having luck making changes to Diesel Timing, Main Event, Map 1, Config 2, Mode 0.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
    I seem to be having luck making changes to Diesel Timing, Main Event, Map 1, Config 2, Mode 0.
    Same here. I can 100% match data log values to Config 2 but both of my modes are so similar i can't tell which one its using. I will try to make some noticeable changes to mode 0 before my next trip and data log. I still am a little stumped about which config the truck is pulling when it is 'cold' and in park. The timing is lower at idle but can't seem to match be able to match values.

Tuner in Training
    Here is the Data Log file and Tune I am comparing to the tune. Its real short, 60-70% throttle, 700+ ft lbs of torque request.

TimingRightDer.hpt
    WOT.hpl

Certainly looks like config 2 mode 0 to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Tuner
    Are the modes the same for 2017 6.7's? Meaning 0=normale, 1=warm up, etc? Or is it not as easy as all that?