Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Multiple problems with version 3.4 Pleae help

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post

I've been looking into this, but the screens too reflective and I'm afraid that would screw up or hinder drivability tuning, plus it's a little pricy even though it has everything else that I like - https://www.amazon.com/Asus-ZENBOOK-...ENBOOK+UX501VW

Thoughts?

If you are thinking about a new laptop then you are going to want a 2 in 1 style laptop (one that the screen folds around to a tablet mode). I am currently evaluating a Lenovo Yoga X1 for work, and ive installed the VCM suite on it and the 14" screen is just a hair too big for me. I think I am going to buy a Dell Inspiron 13 5000 2 in 1 laptop. Like this -

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-i5378-28...nspiron+2+in+1
    I plan on swapping out the 1TB HDD for a smaller SSD. Or you can buy ones that have a SSD already in them.

For a laptop/tablet that is only going to run HPTuners you DO NOT want something with a super high resolution screen. 1920x1080 resolution or lower. What will happen if you have a very high resolution on a small screen is you will have to turn the display scaling up (basically make text and programs bigger). VCM suite was not meant to be ran on a display with a high resolution so it looks blurry and awful at any scaling above 100% (96DPI).

So stick with a lower resolution screen unless HPTuners changes the way VCM suite handles DPI and scaling.

Tuning Addict
    The resolution on the screen was another reason why I haven't made the move - it's supposed to be 4k resolution, but apparently they cut corners and it's not "that great"... I don't really want a true tablet - a regular laptop with touch screen is fine as I need something that will sit up easily and stay in a sitting position... I absolutely do not want a Dell product - they're mostly junk from everything I've seen... Asus or Acer both seem to hold up and work good without lots of future issues... I don't know, just wish mine would work good with it :/
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

GH, yes more people need to comment here about problems... but your point about graphs using resources, I use Labview also and notice if I update graphs at 10pts/sec then this takes huge strain on cpu but only if the graph window is open/on screen... try minimizing HPT see if anything changes. On my older computer My cpu goes from 50% to 100% just from making the graphs and data visible... its worth a shot, its free

The resolution on the screen was another reason why I haven't made the move - it's supposed to be 4k resolution, but apparently they cut corners and it's not "that great"... I don't really want a true tablet - a regular laptop with touch screen is fine as I need something that will sit up easily and stay in a sitting position... I absolutely do not want a Dell product - they're mostly junk from everything I've seen... Asus or Acer both seem to hold up and work good without lots of future issues... I don't know, just wish mine would work good with it :/
    Dell has stepped up their game. We are currently evaluating Dell and lenovo laptops/tablets at work to move away from HP. You can always get one from Amazon then return it if you arent happy, thats the beauty of Amazon. The 2 in 1 laptops that fold in to a tablet are very nice. I honestly didnt think I was going to like it as much as I did until I used a few of them.

Also visit Bestbuy and look at their laptops that they have on display to get a feel for them before you purchase if you are unsure. Best Buy has almost the same stuff that Amazon has.

You do not want a 4K screen if you plan on using it with HPTuners. It will look blurry and blown up too large.
    Last edited by Philbar715; 01-31-2017 at 09:19 AM.

I see the lockups all the time. I now have two layouts. During logging I remove all Charts and the math associated and then after logging I view them with the Charts and math. Only way I can log for any duration. This hang issue started about 3.2.90 to 3.2.105 and has been there ever since.

For your laptop, resolution on the display does not mater as you can always scale the resolution on the display(set it to 1920x1080) instead of doing the Windows scaling. This will not cause an issue in HPT.

Quote Originally Posted by jsllc View Post
    For your laptop, resolution on the display does not mater as you can always scale the resolution on the display(set it to 1920x1080) instead of doing the Windows scaling. This will not cause an issue in HPT.
    This is not a good idea on a LCD. Setting the resolution below the native resolution will make the entire screen blurry, it will lose all "crispness" of the LCD.

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    GH, yes more people need to comment here about problems... but your point about graphs using resources, I use Labview also and notice if I update graphs at 10pts/sec then this takes huge strain on cpu but only if the graph window is open/on screen... try minimizing HPT see if anything changes. On my older computer My cpu goes from 50% to 100% just from making the graphs and data visible... its worth a shot, its free
    This is actually what I've started doing I delete off my graphs unless I'm using something in them, then I just delete off my gmve graphs unless I'm using them - this has become a real pita...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Philbar715 View Post
    This is not a good idea on a LCD. Setting the resolution below the native resolution will make the entire screen blurry, it will lose all "crispness" of the LCD.
    What about LED - the laptop I commented on above gets good reviews when you dial the resolution back - apparently it's using a LED style display?

Also glad to see more people are finally commenting on this - guess it wasn't just me after all?

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    So, it works with 1 of those, 2 of those, but not all 3?

You need to be very specific what you isolate it down to. Post the layout that it works with, and the layout that it doesn't work with.
    Not sure if it matters as everyone seems to be saying the new software requires a whole lot more processing and memory capabilities, but here is my working layout and layout that freezes...
    Attached Files Attached Files

~Greg Huggins~

Quote Originally Posted by Philbar715 View Post
    It is done all the time. It is how all 4K TVs run. I do this for a living. Have about 100,000 systems out in the last 5 years. Not an issue. Any good quality screen/video processor knows how to down convert. We buy laptops that run 2, 3 or 4K and run them at 1920x1080.

What about LED - the laptop I commented on above gets good reviews when you dial the resolution back - apparently it's using a LED style display?

Also glad to see more people are finally commenting on this - guess it wasn't just me after all?
    LED screens you see in shops are actually LCDs, and the term "LED" is the invention of Samsung's marketing department. LED use energy-efficient light emitting diodes (LED) for backlighting. These consume less power than cold cathode fluorescent lamps (CCFL) used in traditional LCD. Power savings are typically 20-30%. The panels are the same.
    Last edited by jsllc; 01-31-2017 at 10:39 AM.

LED screens you see in shops are actually LCDs, and the term "LED" is the invention of Samsung's marketing department
    LED refers to the back lighting. I'ts not CFL anymore. Yet they never advertised CFL LCD. So really it's just LED backlit LCD. LED uses less power than CFL. LED = Light Emitting Diode, been around for 40-50yrs. the LED is not the color you see, just the light from it. OLed is different, that is new from Samsung and primarily used on phones, it is basically little tiny individual LED's that make the light and color you see. It's new and slowly will replace LCD but will take long time until large OLEDS become standard.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 01-31-2017 at 10:53 AM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

It is done all the time. It is how all 4K TVs run. I do this for a living. Have about 100,000 systems out in the last 5 years. Not an issue. Any good quality screen/video processor knows how to down convert. We buy laptops that run 2, 3 or 4K and run them at 1920x1080.
    What you are refering to is upsampling and downsampling of the content that is displayed on the TV, that is not changing the resolution of the TV when that is done. On whatever computer you are using now (assuming you have an LCD screen) lower the resolution from the native resolution. Let me know the results, it will look fuzzy and blurry. Thats just how all LCDs work. For more reading -

http://www.howtogeek.com/119117/htg-...-is-important/

Long story short, use the native resolution on a laptop/computer LCD screen.

LED only refers to the back lighting like stated above. Anyways, back on topic

Tuning Addict
    Not sure if it matters as everyone seems to be saying the new software requires a whole lot more processing and memory capabilities, but here is my working layout and layout that freezes...

~Greg Huggins~

I may have missed it, but can you upload a log file to go along with this layout? I'll try it on my two laptops here and see if I cant get it to do what you were describing.

Oh and your math parameters?

There's 4 graphs difference between these layouts.. try to isolate it to 1.

What happens if you log just those 4 graphs alone, does it still freeze?

What happens if you use the layout that freezes, but you remove the Chart vs Time display?

these are the kinds of tests you need to do to narrow it down for us.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    There's 4 graphs difference between these layouts.. try to isolate it to 1.

What happens if you log just those 4 graphs alone, does it still freeze?

What happens if you use the layout that freezes, but you remove the Chart vs Time display?

these are the kinds of tests you need to do to narrow it down for us.
    OK, forgot I removed the non functioning Retard graph too - I'll just try it with it removed since it stopped working out of the blue with some of the recent updates even though it logs true retard in the charts?

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    OK Keith, not only did I figure out which graph is causing the problems, but I figured out exactly which channel/pid is causing the problem...

Knock Retard - not the sensor, just regular knock retard - you know - actual knock

I came to this conclusion like this - this is the parameter in the graph that just stopped working a few updates back "always showed yellow but no data since then" - deleted this graph - logged fine for 32minutes without incident, but did notice on startup it still showed blank cells in the other graphs - (summing this part up to my computer at the moment)... SO I took the knock retard sensor out of my knock retard graph and put the regular knock retard pid in this one - it actually logged this time data wise? - NOT sure what's up with that - anyway - logged for the 13 to 14 minute mark and died out like once again like it has been... Put knock retard sensor back in the knock retard graph just in case it was a fluke - logged fine for another 22 minutes - well past it's usual 13 to 14 minute die out...

Basically something is up with this pid/channel being used in the graphs...

Anyway attaching the final layout...
    Attached Files Attached Files

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    I also know since discovering that the predetermined knock retard sensor is showing all timing pulls including iat and ect adders/multipliers that a lot of us have gone to using this instead of the sensor, which may be why we're all having this problem???

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    Keith, I would also like to comment as it may not have been made clear before - I am using the regular knock pid in both my charts and channels and these aren't causing problems, so something about it being in the graphs is causing the issue...

~Greg Huggins~