Thread: Lowering torque coefficents fixed my CT Downshifts

Lowering torque coefficents fixed my CT Downshifts

Since putting in a small cam in my 08 caprice L98 with a 6l80e i have had really crappy closed throttle downshifts. It would pull way too much timing causing hesitation and lurching and also making the rpms drop way down past idle before shooting back up again driving me crazy. The only way i could find to avoid it was to turn off ct downshift torque management but then i lose my rev matching.

It seemed to me like torque management couldn't pull enough torque and eventually gives up and allows the shift causing a huge hesitation. I recently read the thread about the torque coefficients and people increasing Airmass A to firm up their shifts. i decided to do the opposite and pull 20% out under 900rpm and it has completely cured my downshift hesitation and surging. the car feels really smooth now.

Can anybody see a problem with doing this or has anybody else tried this?

While the transmission shift quality does depend on those coefficients, I would give the beta a try to make sure your torque model looks right.

Is the torque model editing function only for gen 5 ecms? I have an e38

Tuning Addict
    While you can pull some out of the coefficients from idle rpms down - DO NOT remove any in the rpm zones above this... Your ECM uses this data for torque calculations - the same torque calculations used to determine the clutch hold pressure for you transmission - too low and the clutches will slip and eventually burn out Very common problem for people who scale the whole tune and don't bother to counter scale the torque tables just for representation...

Until the scanner is fully fixed - I don't know if torque model tuning is available for any platform at the moment - when it is available fully - it applies to gen 4's and 5's...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Yeah i dont need to change anything over 1000rpm and im hoping that the low amount torque produced at low rpms 25 to 30nm at idle is not going to stress the trans. Has completely changed the car and im not considering pulling the auto and putting in a t56 anymore.