Thread: Tuning an Auto to Manual PCM Ford Mustang GT 2006

Tuner in Training

Tuning an Auto to Manual PCM Ford Mustang GT 2006

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to tuning Fords in general, and to the forum, but have used HP Tuners to tune several GM vehicles.

So I recently swapped out my 5r55s automatic transmission for a GT500 6-speed tr6060 in my 2006 Mustang GT.

My issue is trying to get the PCM flashed with a manual strategy. I tried to tune it by disabling the automatic functions on my current auto tune. I turned off all related emissions codes but I'm getting a P061C error code and the wrench light indicating its in a limp mode, in addition to the speedometer not working.

Any thought or ideas are greatly appreciated. After spending $2,500 on this conversion I'm kinda bummed I can't drive it yet.

Tuner in Training
    So I think I've figured it out somewhat, I got the speedometer to work, no more check engine light P061C error code or the wrench/limp mode light. Seeing as no one from HP Tuners got back to me, I like how they say to contact support if your unsure of something, so I tried to use a stock manual tune but the bullshit part is that you can't change the VIN number or adjust the OS on a Ford in HP Tuners? On a GM you can, but not on a Ford? Go figure. May look into SCT for tuning my Mustang further as it seems HP gave up supporting Fords?

Either way I will continue to try to tweak my tune a bit more, only real issue seems when I push the clutch in the engine revs. Need to look at how I can correct that, other than that seems to run and drive pretty damn good.

Senior Tuner
    I haven't tried this but since nobody more experienced is helping it's an idea... You do not need to change VIN on Ford. This will cost you four credits but what I would try is download a tune from a manual 2006 GT and license it, flash it to your car and then read it. It will read back with your VIN and will be the manual transmission strategy. You must then license the manual transmission strategy with your VIN.

It sucks for people that don't have unlimited licenses that you have to spend extra credits to strategy swap.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks riden, I'll give that a shot tomorrow afternoon and let you know how it works. I already used the credits to license an 06 manual tune, changed parameters to match my engine mods but seeing as the VIN didn't match the car wouldn't start, didn't know the VIN would change if I re-read the tune. Appreciate the input.

Tuner in Training
    Damn, couldn't wait so I went outside and tried what you mentioned, but it still re-read it with the VIN of the manual tune I downloaded, not mine. Did I do it wrong? I licensed the manual strategy tune, wrote it to the pcm, then read the tune from the pcm again, right?

Advanced Tuner
    Transmission Strategy:
    0 -> No transmission control; (Manual trans., AOD, ATX, C6, C3, etc.)
    1 -> SIL (Shift Indicator Light)
    2 -> A4LD with 3-4 shift control and convertor clutch control,
    3 -> AXOD
    4 -> C6E4 (E4OD)
    5 -> A4LD-E
    6 -> FAX-4
    7 -> AOD-E (AOD-I)
    8 -> 4EAT
    9 -> CD4E

Transmission Load Type:
    0 -> Manual Transmission, no clutch or gear switches,
    forced neutral state (NDSFLG = 0),
    1 -> Manual Transmission, no clutch or gear switch,
    2 -> Manual Transmission, one clutch or gear switch,
    3 -> Manual Transmission, both clutch and gear switches,
    4 -> Auto Transmission, non-electronic, neutral drive switch,
    5 -> Auto Transmission, non-electronic, neutral pressure switchn (AXOD),
    6 -> Auto Transmission, electronic, PRNDL sensor - park, reverse, neutral, overdrive, manual 1, manual 2.

Senior Tuner
    I do strategy swaps that way but have only done it on Coyote Mustangs. I wouldn't think it would be different for yours but it might. I was thinking that when I read the licensed file from the car it then has the cars VIN. Then that file needs licensed and flashed. Maybe I'm thinking about it backwards on when the VIN becomes from that vehicle but I know you take your licensed strategy you want and flash it, then read it and license that file and flash it back.

Senior Tuner
    I'm guessing you did the research to make sure this even works like this on a Ford? I'm not sure if there is any additional wiring or anything that might be done to go from auto to manual.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mstang_man View Post
    Transmission Strategy:
    3 -> AXOD
    4 -> C6E4 (E4OD)
    5 -> A4LD-E
    6 -> FAX-4
    7 -> AOD-E (AOD-I)
    8 -> 4EAT
    9 -> CD4E

Transmission Load Type:
    6 -> Auto Transmission, electronic, PRNDL sensor - park, reverse, neutral, overdrive, manual 1, manual 2.
    I'm not fully understanding this, is there a field or table this needs to be adjusted in? Is this in relation to why my engine revs when I depress the clutch in?

Thanks

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    I'm guessing you did the research to make sure this even works like this on a Ford? I'm not sure if there is any additional wiring or anything that might be done to go from auto to manual.
    Yes I've been online everyday for a few months trying to figure this out. If it weren't for the engine revving when I depress the clutch to shift gears my tune wouldn't be that bad. Its acting like I'm revving the gas whenever the clutch in fully depressed, so I've been trying to wait till the RPMs drop to let off the clutch. I feel there should be something to adjust to fix this.

Tuner in Training
    Have you compared any of the dashpot stuff from a manual car. The auto cars have more dashpot while in 4th gear (which means when the car is moving). Could be part of the problem with the flare between shifts. I have done a few in SCT and I just load a manual cal but then have to change the Equizzer stuff to match the original numbers.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by walshmotorsports View Post
    Have you compared any of the dashpot stuff from a manual car. The auto cars have more dashpot while in 4th gear (which means when the car is moving). Could be part of the problem with the flare between shifts. I have done a few in SCT and I just load a manual cal but then have to change the Equizzer stuff to match the original numbers.
    Thanks Walsh, I tried what you mentioned with the dashpot, but still getting flare. If I turn the automatic option to disable then the speedo doesn't work, if I set it to enable the speedo works but I get the flare when pushing in the clutch. I got another sct tuner this time an X4, loaded a tune from American Muscle, but the speedo doesn't work on that tune and I get a wrench light, no engine codes though.

Potential Tuner
    I'm having the exact same problem. How do you remedy it?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by James Mack View Post
    So I think I've figured it out somewhat, I got the speedometer to work, no more check engine light P061C error code or the wrench/limp mode light. Seeing as no one from HP Tuners got back to me, I like how they say to contact support if your unsure of something, so I tried to use a stock manual tune but the bullshit part is that you can't change the VIN number or adjust the OS on a Ford in HP Tuners? On a GM you can, but not on a Ford? Go figure. May look into SCT for tuning my Mustang further as it seems HP gave up supporting Fords?

Either way I will continue to try to tweak my tune a bit more, only real issue seems when I push the clutch in the engine revs. Need to look at how I can correct that, other than that seems to run and drive pretty damn good.
    What did you change to not go into fail safe mode?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mstang_man View Post
    Transmission Strategy:
    3 -> AXOD
    4 -> C6E4 (E4OD)
    5 -> A4LD-E
    6 -> FAX-4
    7 -> AOD-E (AOD-I)
    8 -> 4EAT
    9 -> CD4E

Transmission Load Type:

Where do you change these at in hp tuners? if no one can answer this can anyone help me out? I have a 06 gt I just put a manual in and it's throwing shift solenoid codes and some other stuff.

I know that in the sct software to get the speedo back you change the "number of holes for oss sensor" from what it is to 12 or 24 depending on what trans you go with.
    has anyone figured out a way to make a 2step?

Quote Originally Posted by marleyperformance View Post
    I know that in the sct software to get the speedo back you change the "number of holes for oss sensor" from what it is to 12 or 24 depending on what trans you go with.
    has anyone figured out a way to make a 2step?
    SCT says to change the load type to 1 to use the neutral rev limit as a 2-step.