Thread: Best way to record with 2 gopro's

Potential Tuner

Best way to record with 2 gopro's

So I have been using TA for the last year and love it! Using it with a GoPro 3, and have it where TA triggers the GoPro to start and stop.

I just purchased an additional goPro3 to use for a rear view camera, Since TA uses wifi to talk to GoPro1, it can't do that for gopro2, whats the best way to trigger the second one? The one I bought comes with the smart remote, maybe just use that? How will RaceRender work with that second file input not being totally in sync in terms of when the video on GoPro1 and TA starts.

Thanks!

Glad to hear it! The remote would probably be the best method for the additional camera... For best results, start its recording slightly before TrackAddict's recording starts, and then in RaceRender you could use the Synchronization Tool to align its timing with your TrackAddict data and other video.

The helpful (but not required) tip here is to have it start recording video before your data recording actually starts, so that RaceRender's Sync Tool only has to trim its starting time to get it to align with the rest of your recordings. When in Circuit mode, TrackAddict normally wont start its recording until you reach 10 MPH, so that gives you additional time to work with here.

If you were to instead start the video after your data and other video recordings started, then you'd need to either use the Sync Tool's "Offset Within Project" option to delay the start of this video in the project, or sync/trim everything else to match this one, so that's just more work and complexity that I like to avoid.

Potential Tuner
    So does RaceRender use the timestamps generated by the gopro? Do I need to make sure the time on each gopro is identical?

Quote Originally Posted by daverdfw View Post
    So does RaceRender use the timestamps generated by the gopro? Do I need to make sure the time on each gopro is identical?
    Not at this time... RaceRender would just take the raw video footage, whenever it may start, and then you could use the slider control in the Synchronization Tool to easily trim the start of it until it aligns with the timing of your project.

In general, timestamps in video files unfortunately aren't too useful because they often come from a user-set time/date, or may have drifted significantly since they were last set, so it's hard to trust the data and precision. With GPS-enabled cameras, it might be more useful, but ultimately it's still pretty easy to just use the Sync Tool in RaceRender, which is able to accommodate virtually every camera or situation.