Thread: New To HPTuners, What's the Basic tuning methodology?

Tuner in Training

New To HPTuners, What's the Basic tuning methodology?

Alright, So, I'm Fairly new to HPTuners, I've been reading the forums off and on since I got my CTS-V ('06 LS2), More since I've got my Pro Interface.

I've been looking and I can't seem to find a thread where the Basic Methodology is stated clearly. Yes everyone comments on the newer guys posts giving advice (which i love, thanks BTW for that) but there's no real step by step examples. I'm sure some of this is due to tuner preferences, what some do now others do later, etc.

I know enough about engines/tuning to know that you want to start with mild Spark advance, tune in your VE/fueling, and then work out the advance from there with knock sensors/det cans, Then tweak the fueling and timing till it's all fairly safe throughout. and finally do your idle control and warmup/overtemp enrichments.

So, in HPT Jargon (not Megasquirt etc) What would you all say is the NORMAL, BASIC tuning structure to go by?

thanks in advance for any feedback you've got for me.

Senior Tuner
    You have the correct idea going into it. The tables and tabs in HP Tuners are, for the most part, labeled and described in a good enough way for you to be able to figure out what effects what. A member on here called Motown has a good guide that is affordable. It's less than $100 and has all of the basic information you will need to get started in one spot. Beyond that just browse the forums for specific things. One of the biggest advantages to HP Tuners over some more basic software I have used for tuning other vehicles is the scanner and the guide Motown created gives good information about how to make your life easier with proper setup of the scanner and use of filters.

Tuner in Training
    I searched the Usernames, nobody by the name of Motown registered..... is he on a different forum?

Tuner
    it is not Motown but Mowton look up his post and read on them as well look in the stickys for a started guide per your ecm
    Last edited by ke5gnz; 01-27-2017 at 04:34 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Thanks for pointing that out and sorry to him for the misspelling.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you so much. A quick username search has given me plenty to read/watch and learn more.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    we are always around to help
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    we are always around to help
    Probably the most amazing statement I've ever seen posted in any forum! I hardly ever look in here or post anymore but I just saw this. THIS is why the HPTuners forum will always be my favorite and most impressive forum. What an amazing group of people that have stuck around here solely to help others. And not just because you're vendors trying to make a profit off of members. I would guess 90% of the guys helping others on here never get a dime for their time spent on this forum? That's pretty freakin cool if you ask me!!!

And yeah, Mowton is a hella smart guy that's always around trying to help others. Hats off to all of you long time HPTuners helpers and advice givers!!! I have a ton of respect for what you all do for others on here. And I am TOTALLY impressed that a whole bunch of you smart guys are still on here selflessly contributing to the knowledge of others. BRAVO!!!
    Check out my V8 Sky build video. It's pretty cool!...

https://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q

https://www.youtube.com/user/gmtech16450yz