Thread: Torque Management

Torque Management

I am further refining my tune - 09 Corvette, 6 spd manual, all stock except an A&A Si-trim kit putting out a max of 6 psi.

Most of my tune is completed and I am satisfied, I am now looking into other areas for refinement and adjustments. I am seeking advice, recommendations for the settings to focus on in torque management. My car is a street car, not taken to the dragstrip or track.

I've already changed the following:

Torque Management > General > Torque Limit vs. RPM > all gears set to the max. 6042 lbs. (except 6th and reverse)

Torque Management > General > Torque Limit vs. RPM > Torque Input Max 6042; torque Output Max 6042.

Torque Management > General > Traction Control System > I have Powerhop disabled; and both fuel cutoffs disabled.

These are the only changes I've made so far. Any recommendations on other settings, or am I on the right track with these changes?

Another comment, on a couple of my DL street pulls (rolling second gear) to redline, I am getting tires breaking loose at around 5K to 5500K RPM and serious spikes in spark (Spark drops to as low as -17*, negative 17) and TPS. This is in full traction control mode. Both TCS > spark and ETC controls are enabled. When I switch to full comp mode, these spikes are gone. Should I leave these two enabled?

Thanks!

What I have found is that Spark > Advance > Spark Limiters : Spark Ramp Out > Spark Minimum - TqMgt retards timing up to -20*. I bumped mine to +14.5* for the applicable ECT of 176*F and 212*F. This would occur during Torque Management events that happened on the street or at the strip. Since I changed them, my events are gone.
    2013 Camaro LSX433 with TFS 245cc cat heads
    AGP 65/65 Twin Turbos into BTR Equalizer intake
    BTR 237/247 .610"/.601" 116+5 (10* overlap) cam
    ID-1700x on AGP Fore Triple w/ Flex Fuel sensor
    Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT box | custom anti-lag

Thanks - just took notes of that and will look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
    What I have found is that Spark > Advance > Spark Limiters : Spark Ramp Out > Spark Minimum - TqMgt retards timing up to -20*. I bumped mine to +14.5* for the applicable ECT of 176*F and 212*F. This would occur during Torque Management events that happened on the street or at the strip. Since I changed them, my events are gone.
    Interesting. I looked at Spark>advance>Spark limiters. etc. Question: Why did you bump the #s to a plus 14.5*? and not 0.0*? Aren't you now adding timing in a torque event?

Thanks!

Thinking about it some more, is spark min - tqmgt a spark adder or a final spark? The +14.5* then makes sense if it is a complete override and a final spark under a torque management event? Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    I prefer to change it to 10 degrees less than my max timing. That gives it room to pull some if needed,for safety, but 20 is a bit extreme I think.
    2007 Corvette C6 Vert. A6
    LME LS402, Pat G custom cam, ATI 10% OD Damper
    Circle D triple disc 2600, 3.42 Diff
    YSI, 3.0 pulley, ID 1000's
    Alky Control Meth,
    ARH 1 7/8 headers,
    1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWT @ 6000

Quote Originally Posted by StopGap View Post
    Interesting. I looked at Spark>advance>Spark limiters. etc. Question: Why did you bump the #s to a plus 14.5*? and not 0.0*? Aren't you now adding timing in a torque event?
    Quote Originally Posted by StopGap View Post
    Thinking about it some more, is spark min - tqmgt a spark adder or a final spark? The +14.5* then makes sense if it is a complete override and a final spark under a torque management event? Thanks
    My experience generated from this originated from my 1/4-mile launch off the line. Even though the TM settings were max'd out, I'd still get "Launch" Spark TM Type event while launching (and my timing would go negative, losing power). My timing just before the event was 14.5*, so that's what I chose to insert into the table (as it's the final minimum timing when an event occurs). Has worked wonders for me getting the heavy ass Camaro off the line.

Quote Originally Posted by realcanuk View Post
    I prefer to change it to 10 degrees less than my max timing. That gives it room to pull some if needed,for safety, but 20 is a bit extreme I think.
    Definitely understand this statement. From my experience, needed the hunk of timing to power off the line without regards to "safety."
    Last edited by dreksnot; 01-27-2017 at 01:07 PM.

My experience generated from this originated from my 1/4-mile launch off the line. Even though the TM settings were max'd out, I'd still get "Launch" Spark TM Type event while launching (and my timing would go negative, losing power). My timing just before the event was 14.5*, so that's what I chose to insert into the table (as it's the final minimum timing when an event occurs). Has worked wonders for me getting the heavy ass Camaro off the line.

Definitely understand this statement. From my experience, needed the hunk of timing to power off the line without regards to "safety."
    OK makes sense now. That table becomes a final timing in a torque event. Coincidentally, 14.5* is what I see too when the torque timing table obviously kicks in, then I can get saw-toothed timing spikes that take timing down to -17* along with matching TPS spikes. I have been successful just switching to comp driving mode.

I also wonder if just disabling Torque management > General > Traction Control System > disable both spark and TPS (fuel already disabled with FI) if that wouldn't prevent the spark limiters > Tqmgt table from activating. I'm first taking your advice and going with the 14.5* too then some DLs, BC that's what I'm looking for too when the tq table kicks in.

If I can get some DLs in in the next couple of days I'll post back.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by StopGap; 01-27-2017 at 02:23 PM.

This was a self-found item, even after asking many a tuners which eluded to just "fixing" the usual TM settings on that page and maybe zeroing out the burst KR settings. The car would fall flat on its face on launch, or even a simple street burnout. Maybe your comp mode is disabling TC. However, even when I'd disable TC with my "mode" button, I could still get the TM event to show - never knew when it would rear its ugly head - so by upping the final minimum spark for the Launch event, problem solved.