Thread: Extract gpx or kml from mp4

Potential Tuner

Question Extract gpx or kml from mp4

Hello.
    I have a mp4 recorded from a GoPro Hero 5.
    RaceRender correctly shows all gps data on it.
    Is there a way to extract the gps data as a kml or gpx file using RaceRender?
    Regards,
    Edit: RaceRender already creates a binary file when a mp4 file with gps data embedded is loaded. That binary file probably contains the data to be converted to gpx or kml.
    Last edited by claudiobp; 02-01-2017 at 01:47 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Anyone else seeing GoPro Hero 5 .mp4 extraction at only 1Hz instead of a higher rate?

As far as converting from RaceRender .dat to .GPX or KML --- I have not found anything yet.

Potential Tuner
    That 1Hz rate is the real shortfall of the GoPro. As I understand their GPS theory -- It was meant for geo tagging primarily.

This is the reason I switched from GoPro to Garmin. Their Ultra 30 refreshes at 10 Hz. Really makes a difference ! !

I'm actively exploring the possibility of adding an export feature for input data files, and should have more definitive news and possibly a software update this coming week... I'm looking mostly at exporting into CSV, GPX, and KML formats, although I'm not yet sure how practical it will be to get the time/date information to precisely match the original recording, as this will be a pretty universal feature (not specific to GoPro or any one input format).

The GoPro HERO 5 Black's GPS data should be at 18 Hz... It's easily the highest I've seen from a camera. I'm not yet sure what it's accuracy or repeatibility is like, as I have not personally tested one on track, but so far it seems encouraging.

I made good progress tonight, and we'll have some universal data exporters in the upcoming version 3.5.6 release (expecting this by early next week)! This will be available by right-clicking on your data file under the "Input Files" list, and selecting "Export Data..."

Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 3.38.49 AM.png

Update: RaceRender 3.5.6 is now available and offers these export options, when right-clicking on a data file under the "Input Files" list. http://RaceRender.com/RR3/Download.html

We've also improved things for cases where the GoPro had split up the video into multiple files, and you wish to use the embedded GPS data from within those.