Thread: 99 Grand Am, 3400 LA1

Potential Tuner

99 Grand Am, 3400 LA1

Ok, Here's what I've got.

This is a 97 Chevy Cavalier. The motor has been swapped to a 3400 V6 from a 99 Grand Am. Currently I run the ECU from a 91 Cavalier Z24. But, this gives me a number of different problems and issues. I would really like to run the PCM from the Grand Am, as I have everything necessary to do so. Except for the programming.

Most of my main concern is that my J-body is a 5spd. Any of the GM cars with a V6 and FWD are all automatics. Electronic automaics at that. Sooo.... upon wiring in the OBD-II and starting the engine the PCM is going to start to hate me really fast. In the HPT software, is there a way that I can disable the automatic trans. Or possibly a way to work around the fact that it's not there. There's several other adjustments that i'll probably have to make, but I need to mainly know about the trans. controls.

Did you compare the IPC wiring differences between your car and the 1999 Grand Am? Things like the fuel gauge even the low coolant light are controlled
    by the pcm on alot of late model cars. As to the trans question, just delete any trans codes that apply for an A4.

Russ Kemp

Also need to raise the rev limiter in neutral.

Russ Kemp

Potential Tuner
    Everything should end up working just fine. With the exception of the tach. Which is easily remedied with the tachless cluster. I've seen it done with an L67 swap, so it shoudl be no problem. The fuel gauge does currently work without the PCM commanding it, but I have noticed that it doesnt really stay still, and can only assume it to be a rough estimate of how much fuel is in it.

I should probably also set the idle speed up maybe to 900 instead of 600rpm?

I"ve put in a request to support for the addition of a 'switch' for transmission type and model. Someone told me it was in the PCM somewhere, just not available to us through HPT. I plan to do a tranny swap myself (either a getrag, or the new 6 speed from the 3900 which bolts right up to our motor; or the 4t65hd).

I suggest sending an email to support and see what they say. maybe Chris will see this post and reply.

Good Luck!
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

Potential Tuner
    So there's really no way to actually turn off the trans controls then?

If I go and take out all the codes, will the PCM try to run in limp home mode without the auto. or will it act normal since all the codes are disabled?

But, I'll send an email to support, and link them this post.

Thanks for the help.

you should be able to run a manual V6 calibration for the vehicle and just recalibrate the speedo until it is correct.

We don't put the trans type switch in the editor because many other things require changing in order to switch between manual and auto trans. eg. to switch from a manual to auto you need to calibrate many 100's of parameters not just one.

Even if you start with an A4 calibrated V6 PCM, i'm sure we can work something out.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Just a note about the 3400. A manual transmission does not exist for this motor in stock form. It's too bad, cuz it would be easier to pull a bin file off something else and replace it. This also causes a problem when doing a tranny swap...LOL. All custom
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by xonelith
    Just a note about the 3400. A manual transmission does not exist for this motor in stock form. It's too bad, cuz it would be easier to pull a bin file off something else and replace it. This also causes a problem when doing a tranny swap...LOL. All custom

Does the 6 speed from the 3900 equipped cars bolt up very easily to the 3400? That may be an interesting option....I dont want to go the 4T65 direction cause its a bit too involving.

CHRIS

Quote Originally Posted by 2003SCT
    Does the 6 speed from the 3900 equipped cars bolt up very easily to the 3400? That may be an interesting option....I dont want to go the 4T65 direction cause its a bit too involving.

CHRIS
    I've heard it does.... iirc, the 3900 comes with the 4t45 or the 6 speed. Hafta do some more research on a few 60* sites though.....
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1