Thread: Timing strategy question regular vs premium

Potential Tuner

Timing strategy question regular vs premium

I have a 5.3 that I turned into a 5.7 with a tow stick style camshaft in my Trailblazer EXT. I use this vehicle 95% of the time for transportation, however I also use it for towing and hammering on once in a while. I currently have the timing tuned to where I have zero knock on regular gas. I simply added some timing until it knocked, then I gradually backed the table down in the areas where I was getting knock until I have none anywhere now. My knock learn factor is usually zero or darn close to it all the time and the thing runs great. However I can definitely run more timing on premium gas and I can feel the difference when I use premium and add in more timing, especially in the lower RPM range that I tow with.
    My question is if It is OK to add in more timing so it runs stronger when I put premium in it and just allow the Knock learn factor to adjust the timing when I am running regular or is that a bad idea? Obviously it has to knock in order to adjust the learn factor, I just dont know if this occurs so quickly that it is never going to cause a problem or not. I do not want to tune it so that I need to run premium all the time, stuck in traffic that just isnt doing me any good. Thanks, Roy

I mean you could but still seems silly to have it run with knock at WOT when you decide to put regular in it.

What can you get away with on mid grade?

Mid grade may allow for slightly more timing and give it a tiny bump in power over the 87 octane. And it only costs 10-12 cents more per gallon compared to 30-40 cents.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

It all comes down to avilinility of 93 octane and is it worth having knock when you can’t get it? I run 93 in my truck and carry spare 5 gal fuel because only a couple stations carry 93. I say tune it for 91 octane or just stay out of the pedal on lower octanes.