Thread: TCC Locked or Unlocked while on Dyno

Advanced Tuner

TCC unlocking on Dyno

I can not seem to find out why the TCC is unlocking on me while on the dyno with a 2012 Camaro A6 (heads and cam, bolt ons) with a 3500 stall converter. I am commanding TCC Lock in the Scanner during pull. Then once i get to approximately 5300 rpm / 96 mph the TCC unlocks.

I did the full transmission scaling through Bluecat transmission program. Input my current gear ratio, transmission, tire size and torque converter.

So I am trying to find out how to get it to stop unlocking while getting into the higher rpm range.

I even maxed the TCC Pressure Apply Ramp (only on the positive side). I set the Regulator offset to 90psi, and left the gain add 1.5.

Is it even possible for this thing to remained locked for the entire pull? Or do I have to just run it unlocked?

Thank you,
    Last edited by MarkTucker; 02-04-2017 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Stupid Question

Likely the TCC cant hold the power.

Advanced Tuner
    That might be very possible. But during the pull I have TCC line pressure and showing zero TCC slip then all of a sudden the line pressure goes to zero and then of course I see slip at that point. Do you believe that is the actual TCC not being able to hold it or is it tune related?

If the line pressure goes to zero then likely it in the tune. As usual post a log and the tune file.

Do you have the commanded gear limits set in the tune?

Transmission.png
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jc052685 View Post
    If the line pressure goes to zero then likely it in the tune. As usual post a log and the tune file.
    Tune and Log attached.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    Do you have the commanded gear limits set in the tune?

Transmission.png
    I just left those at stock settings.

Command Gear Control Limits.png

Tuner in Training
    Is the converter clutch single disk or multi? 2012 and later cars don't play nicely with aftermarket single disk converters (unless you specifically built a woven or spun-wound carbon fiber clutch like the factory one) due to code in the TCM that cannot be changed by any software. I have a 2013 Corvette with heads/cam and found that out the fun way....

Do you have any codes being thrown? If the TCM sees too much slip on the TCC, it will disable it.

Rather than commanding lock with the scanner, alter the tune such that the TCC locks at, say, 40 mph in 4th in TUTD mode. Put it on the dyno, get up to speed and paddle to 4th. converter should lock at 40 and stay locked throughout the pull. I have found commanding gears/TCC lock with the scanner to be more of a pain than it's worth when you can just tell the tune to do it for you.

Advanced Tuner
    It is set to unlock in 4th at higher rpm in the tune. Carry the lock right to 100% and also in full throttle tables. I am assuming you are in 4th during the pulls ?
    2007 Corvette C6 Vert. A6
    LME LS402, Pat G custom cam, ATI 10% OD Damper
    Circle D triple disc 2600, 3.42 Diff
    YSI, 3.0 pulley, ID 1000's
    Alky Control Meth,
    ARH 1 7/8 headers,
    1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWT @ 6000

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by njedwardz View Post
    Is the converter clutch single disk or multi? 2012 and later cars don't play nicely with aftermarket single disk converters (unless you specifically built a woven or spun-wound carbon fiber clutch like the factory one) due to code in the TCM that cannot be changed by any software. I have a 2013 Corvette with heads/cam and found that out the fun way....

Do you have any codes being thrown? If the TCM sees too much slip on the TCC, it will disable it.

Rather than commanding lock with the scanner, alter the tune such that the TCC locks at, say, 40 mph in 4th in TUTD mode. Put it on the dyno, get up to speed and paddle to 4th. converter should lock at 40 and stay locked throughout the pull. I have found commanding gears/TCC lock with the scanner to be more of a pain than it's worth when you can just tell the tune to do it for you.
    It is supposed to be a good triple clutch converter. I will get that a shot and give you a update.

Thank you very much.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by realcanuk View Post
    It is set to unlock in 4th at higher rpm in the tune. Carry the lock right to 100% and also in full throttle tables. I am assuming you are in 4th during the pulls ?
    Thank you very much, I will do this and let you know how it turns out.

I was doing 4th gear pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark@TuckerPerformance View Post
    I just left those at stock settings.

Command Gear Control Limits.png
    That is your problem...
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark@TuckerPerformance View Post
    It is supposed to be a good triple clutch converter. I will get that a shot and give you a update.

Thank you very much.
    Well in that case I can almost guarantee you're not overpowering the clutch assembly, as my triple locks at 5500 RPM at WOT in 3rd gear without complaining a bit. Hoping changing the tune up gets you where you need to be!

Advanced Tuner
    That is your problem...
    What should these be set at. Mine is set at 3000 and locks fine on street and dyno. I don't remember if that's stock or not.
    2007 Corvette C6 Vert. A6
    LME LS402, Pat G custom cam, ATI 10% OD Damper
    Circle D triple disc 2600, 3.42 Diff
    YSI, 3.0 pulley, ID 1000's
    Alky Control Meth,
    ARH 1 7/8 headers,
    1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWT @ 6000

Advanced Tuner
    That is your problem...
    I guess I misunderstood these tables then.

I thought it just had to be below those values to actually initial command for it in the scanner. Which I was commanding when I got to 3000 rpms and xx mph.

I don't recall mph that it was at but definitely below 93 mph.

I have had these tables left at stock for many of other vehicles and never gave me that issue as long as I commanded for it below those settings.

Advanced Tuner
    But anyway, I did not find the issue with why it was unlocking on dyno. Cause come to find out the transmission did end up having a mechanical issue and stopped running the car so that way I was not making anything worse than it already was.

But I am pretty sure, it was going to have to be with that I had the tune to never apply in WOT of 4th gear. Like realcanuk mentioned previously, just never got to try it out.

Thank you all very much for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by realcanuk View Post
    What should these be set at. Mine is set at 3000 and locks fine on street and dyno. I don't remember if that's stock or not.
    Yes those are the maximum limits for the VCM Scanner controls to operate. So if you are forcing TCC and 3rd gear in the scanner, when it hits 5500rpm or 93mph the Scanner command disables and reverts back to the transmission tune.

These parameters are a little fuzzy though because on some applications these settings don't matter what they are set at and the Scanner commands stay working, but on others (most) this does cause the transmission to revert back to the tune parameters.
    ShorTuning

Advanced Tuner
    Yes those are the maximum limits for the VCM Scanner controls to operate. So if you are forcing TCC and 3rd gear in the scanner, when it hits 5500rpm or 93mph the Scanner command disables and reverts back to the transmission tune.

These parameters are a little fuzzy though because on some applications these settings don't matter what they are set at and the Scanner commands stay working, but on others (most) this does cause the transmission to revert back to the tune parameters.
    Thank you very much for that information.