Thread: Aftermarket TCC on Camaro 2013 SS with 600 rwhp

Potential Tuner

Aftermarket TCC on Camaro 2013 SS with 600 rwhp

Hi all -

I have a Camaro 2013 SS with blower, cam, heads, headers, exhaust, etc. and am putting down about 600 rwhp.

The car has a stock 6L80E transmission with a Precision Industries Vigilante triple-disc converter at 2800 stall.

Currently, when I have the TCC lock up in 4th (I believe), you can really feel it lockup. The car jerks fairly hard and RPMs drop slightly and then continues fine.

At WOT, I don't seem to feel any major jerking. This jerking is when I am cruising down the street around 30 to 45 mph with light to moderate throttle.

I haven't data logged this yet, but plan to (if the rain ever stops).

I attached my TC Apply/Release and TCC WOT Apply/Release tables. Does anyone see if maybe I am locking up too early or something? Any recommendations to try?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CamALot; 02-05-2017 at 04:17 AM.

I usually dont lock up till 5the gear and above 55 mph

Potential Tuner
    Can I ask why? Would that also be different at WOT? Would I not want to lockup WOT at 2nd, 3rd, 4th to get max torque to racing?

I can understand maybe not locking up until 5th for cruising. Is that what you mean?

Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    I have a 2013 Corvette with heads/cam/etc and a Pro Torque 3200-stall triple disk converter. I lock mine in 4th gear when driving normally, and I lock in 3rd when using the paddles.

I assume that what you mention is bucking/surging while driving at a relatively constant speed at light throttle, which you feel much more in lower gears because engine braking and acceleration will be much more pronounced due to the gear ratio, even at the same RPM as a higher gear at a higher speed.

Now, how you resolve this, is to log airflow in g/s, RPM, timing, and VSS at a minimum. Make a note of what MPH/RPM range you notice this in, then find that area in the data logs. From there, cross-reference the tune file; go to your main high-octane spark table and bump up the relevant cells by 0.5-1.0 degree (and smooth a little if you like). Repeat until you're happy with the result.

I can drive around at 1300 RPM in 3rd gear without any bucking, but boy it sure was there right after I swapped the cam. Couple mods to the tune and you'll have it driving like it's stock.

Personally, I want to be able to lock the converter whenever I want to. I lock in 3rd at WOT around 105 mph, staying locked from there. When I'm cruising around town, I lock in 4th around 43 mph.

Now, if you're trying to reduce the initial jolt that you get when the converter locks, that's all in the TCC apply pressure ramp table, as well as your regulator gain and offset values. You can play with this to your heart's content to get it engaging exactly like you want it to; be aware that you don't want it ever "dragging", or not fully engaged. I would prever a harsher lock-up to a gentle one that burns through or glazes over clutch material on a $1400 converter.

Glad to see you've got a triple disk. With the 2012 and later cars, it's the only option as GM has some code we can't change that makes aftermarket singles perform badly.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the response. I don't think the Camaro has the TCC apply pressure ramp table. But, I will try the other things you mentioned and see what happens.

So, maybe i'll lock in 3rd at around 50 and 4th at around 100 and 5th at about 130? at WOT but only lock in 4th at around 40, and 5th at around 60 and 6th at around 70? I will play with it, but what do you think?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by CamALot View Post
    Thanks for the response. I don't think the Camaro has the TCC apply pressure ramp table. But, I will try the other things you mentioned and see what happens.

So, maybe i'll lock in 3rd at around 50 and 4th at around 100 and 5th at about 130? at WOT but only lock in 4th at around 40, and 5th at around 60 and 6th at around 70? I will play with it, but what do you think?
    You'll find my tune attached below. Sorry I didn't post it earlier as I didn't have access to my PC. Most of my tune (with the exception of the TCC section) comes from adapting the parameters in the 2014 C7 Corvette TCM to the 2013, and the result is phenomenal shifts. Feel free to copy any of it you wish.

Now, on to the TCC tables. Under trans -> Auto TCC, you'll see a heading for TCC Pressure. The Apply Ramp here is the table I mentioned. The other tables that I've highlighted in red are relevant as well. Use mine to get started then fine tune from there.

hpt.png

Hope this helps!!

NJE_HPT_triple_10_C7 _presets.hpt

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for sharing your tune! Wow, mine doesn't have most of those things. Mine looks like this attached.

I am not sure if I can change a lot of those things since mine only has the Apply/Release values.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    Close any open calibration windows, then go to Edit->View->Advanced, then re-open your calibration.

You should find a lot more parameters now. Mine looks the same as yours when in the basic view.

The OS should be (nearly) identical between the 2013 Corvette and 2013 Camaro.

The cam surges at lower RPM. Keeping the converter unlocked till a higher mph keeps the vehicle driving nice and from doing what you are complaining about.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks, njedwardz... I see all the advanced settings now :-) ...

Thanks JC ... I will try locking it at a higher MPH ... any suggestions?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jc052685 View Post
    The cam surges at lower RPM. Keeping the converter unlocked till a higher mph keeps the vehicle driving nice and from doing what you are complaining about.
    This is true to an extent. Just depends how much engine tuning you're willing to do. I'm running 232/241, 620/612, 114+3 (which I consider to be fairly aggressive) with a 650 RPM idle and I can drive at 25 with the converter locked in third without any bucking or surging at all. Took quite a while to get it that way, to be sure, so for those not inclined to do hours of iterative retuning, keeping it unlocked until...1700 RPM or so should eliminate any bucking from the equation.

http://xse.com/leres/ss/calculator.html <-- this is a site I use to figure RPM vs MPH. May be helpful.