Thread: P59 ECU NW 102mm DBW help

Advanced Tuner

P59 ECU NW 102mm DBW help

So tuning on a 2004 Corvette with a mildly built 427. Running a 102 Nick Williams DBW (drive by wire) throttle body. I have the car where it starts up great, idles great and runs amazing at WOT. But every so offer after a good WOT run and immediate release of throttle, the car stalls. What tables is best for helping the stall? I can make it do it in park/neutral and also while driving down the road. But I mean only immediately after going from 100% to 0% commanded throttle. If i more like ease off of the throttle then it will actually come down very nice.

I do get the P0068 & P1516 codes every so often as well. I currently have the Calc Airmass - P1514/P0068 Error table maxed out. What else can I look into on to fix this issue.

I am running a 1 Bar Speed Density Enhanced (RTT) operating system.

The motor was built for boost, so the plans are to finish the turbo system, then get it all installed and go back to tuning. Steve Morris did the motor for me, and told me that I would need to get a standalone system after the turbo system. Do you believe this will be true? The goal is most likely going to be around 1200hp once the turbo system is done. Everything else is completed on the car for it.

Thank you,

Can you post a log and tune file to better help ya. I'm sure thats why no one has chimed in.

Roger

Can you specify what NW 102 TB you have? The LS2 version or the C5 version; it seems both have different ways of controlling them.

I was wondering if anyone succeeded in getting a resolution on this issue?

I am having the P1516 and P2101 codes randomly thrown as I exercise the throttle pedal even with engine not running and only the ignition on. All I have to do is cycle the pedal several times and one or both codes will trigger. This is happening with newly installed 102mm TB on a FAST LSXR Intake for my 2004 LS6 Vette. The TB is new and from very reputable company. My OS is P59.

I read another thread last weekend that there was a software patch made available to "de-sensitize" the PCM. I think it was for an E85 OS or something like that.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thank you

I was able to establish a support ticket with HP Tuners on this and they opened up the P2101 table for testing. I had to reset the factory from 6% to 9% for the code to go away.

Unfortunately, I'm still getting the P1516 and have asked on the support ticket if they cannot open up the P1516 table then what other things might I consider in dealing with this issue.

I will continue to post here so others can benefit from what I find ... I haven't seen a single thread on this issue that indicated resolution. Kind of doubt everyone threw in the towel and went back to stock.

There has to be a fix and I'm hoping that with some help I can find it and share.

If anyone has information on how they fixed their issues, please share.

God Bless and Happy 4th of July!

Tuner in Training
    Following. i got snake eater 102 on mine. i repinned my racetronics harshness and it works fine with car off but i sometimes get 1516 when running
    What are you using for etc scalar?"

My original TB was 78mm and now is 102mm.

My original scalar value for P59 OS was 0.0255.

So, the final calculation was:

1 - Gen 3 Formula: [(1/πr2) * 100%]
    2 - Actual calc: [1 / (3.142 * (102/2)2) * 100%]
    3 - Resultant Scaler: [0.0122]

So far, my idle quality at [0.0122] is very good AND throttle response is tracking correctly!

Cheers
    Last edited by Viper; 10-16-2020 at 06:42 PM.

I just received the bad news from my Support Ticket ... they cannot for some reason open up the P1516 table on the P59 OS with Speed Density - 2 Bar.

As I posted earlier in this thread, [Kind of doubt everyone threw in the towel and went back to stock.], is there anyone out there that can shed some light on how they fixed their setup?

This is a basic upgrade component and shouldn't require "voo-doo" magic to make work.

Appreciate some feedback.

Cool

To All,

I finally found a working solution for getting the 102mm TB to play nicely in a P59 OS environment.

It took using the correct scaling method as "edited" above using formula (1/πr2) * 100% which nets a value of 0.0122!

In my case, I also had to do a few more things to get everything working:

1 - Install a Digital to Analog Converters [D2A] from Torque Rush Performance
    2 - Set the D2A for Analog to Analog Scaling
    3 - Wire the D2A for full-time +12v and tie TAC low reference to chassis ground
    4 - Setup the D2A parameters
    5 - Retune my VE Table, etc.

I'm now able to finally drive my Vette!

If anyone is interested in the D2A settings that I used or how I wired everything up, let me know and I can attach additional information.

For all experiencing the dreaded P1516 DTC, know that at least one of the reasons the PCM kicks out this code is that you have a lean spot in your tune and it is trying to protect the motor. This "tidbit" of information has NOT BEEN WELL SHARED anywhere that I could find. There are many causes for the P1516 ... one of them is what I have described.

Hopefully, this post will help someone out there that has been banging there head against a wall like I was.

God Bless

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    For all experiencing the dreaded P1516 DTC, know that at least one of the reasons the PCM kicks out this code is that you have a lean spot in your tune and it is trying to protect the motor. This "tidbit" of information has NOT BEEN WELL SHARED anywhere that I could find. There are many causes for the P1516 ... one of them is what I have described.
    WOT or part throttle?

Tuner in Training
    ive been trying to get my tb to scale properly with my d2a but am having trouble figuring it out . can you do a step by step for the d2a by chance?