Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Injection Timing Assistance Requested

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    It's going to take me a week to read all of this
    I wrote half of it, took a day off to go racing, and I'm fricken lost now...

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by scottt28 View Post
    I wrote half of it, took a day off to go racing, and I'm fricken lost now...
    Post 54
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Now you know what I mean when I say I suck at explaining things

...On turbo setups - I've even been able to gain 70 to 100 hp down low by retarding the injection timing over the stock advanced timing - made turbo's spoil quicker...
    I've read about this too. Basically, the theory is peak combustion occurs later. In this instance, the goal is not really pushing the piston, but pushing the turbo wheel. Delayed injection timing basically creating a huge push in the exhaust port and the primary tube of the manifold or header...
    Last edited by scottt28; 02-13-2017 at 05:05 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    Your idle injection is right at 358-360, which is also during overlap and the piston is still moving up.....
    Yep... I think you're right. I'm still playing with the spreadsheet. I'm going to try to get it around 10 IVO plus 10-20 degrees. Incoming fuel should hit a hot exhaust valve and vaporize a little. SOIT and EOIT should happen before PPV at lower rpms and make good power as a result. That's my thinking anyway
    Last edited by scottt28; 02-13-2017 at 05:05 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Do the cross hairs open and close to represent soi and eoi? That would actually be nice if done that way...

Also you might want to remove the ppv suggestion - as pointed out - that will never be possible unless your running huge injectors and that will change all of this once again - we can get into that too if you like, but for now this is good Didn't look at your numbers yet, but the general slope looks good...
    The cross hairs are a carry over from schpenxel's stuff. I kept them, not knowing exactly how he is using them. I mentioned it in one of the posts. Maybe he'll respond when he gets a chance.

Thanks for the input on the curve. I ran the truck as it was last weekend - didn't mess with the injection timing. I doubt it'll have a huge (Trump says yooge) impact since I'm running a turbo build without an actual turbo.

Speaking of turbo... anybody care to recommend, or sell me, a good turbo? I'm leaning towards the Precision Turbo 88mm Pro Mod ceramic ball bearing setup with a 1.40 A/R. I think the new Garrett GT5533 Gen 2 88mm is a good piece too. Thoughts? Prices???
    Last edited by scottt28; 02-13-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Went back and looked at the spreadsheet more in detail - I really like the fact that you give actual soi numbers in relation to exhaust valve closing vs rpm numbers... Also compared your boundary to some of mine - honestly other than peak maybe being too high - also didn't look bad - for a stock cam your too retarded in the mid rpm areas and at peak, but for an overlap cam especially combined with a pd blower, you could actually be more retarded in the mid rpm areas... You should also notice better cold starting with that boundary for a really aggressive cam...

Is there a reason why you have two rpm cam visuals? Do the crosshairs open and close to represent soi and eoi like carsons?

I'm liking this more and more with the more time I spend looking at it
    The cam in my engine is a BTR Stage IV Turbo cam. It's not a stock grind.

The crosshairs are a carry-over from schpenxel's stuff. I'd like more information on how he is using the crosshairs... I'm trying to "leverage" (a word used in the software industry to say copied without actually saying copied) the work he's already done to create something that's a little more informative.

Glad you like the spreadsheet. I like visuals too.

Tuning Addict
    If it's copied from carsons - the cross hairs should open and close representing both soi and eoi... They don't actually cross anything specific - it's the beginning and ends that you have to focus on...

I need to relook at his, but I think that's how it works... This would be fine, but nicer if you could have beginning and ending lines
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Yeah the cross mark things were supposed to represent the injection time.. so left side would be SOI and right edge would be EOI. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding but that's what I think scott is asking about? I thought it made a nice easy visual for "where" fuel was getting injected in the grand scheme of things

And I couldn't find another easier way to do show that in the graph so that was my work around
    Last edited by schpenxel; 02-13-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    Yeah the cross mark things were supposed to represent the injection time.. so left side would be SOI and right edge would be EOI. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding but that's what I think scott is asking about? I thought it made a nice easy visual for "where" fuel was getting injected in the grand scheme of things

And I couldn't find another easier way to do show that in the graph so that was my work around
    Ok... thought so. That's how I understood it. I think the values in the graph are referencing constants. I'm going to re-check the formulas to make sure they are accurate. Seems like the goal is to make sure SOIT and EOIT reflect the whole "injection event" from start to finish. Might have some free time tomorrow.

Still open to turbo suggestions...

Advanced Tuner
    Ok... thought so. That's how I understood it. I think the values in the graph are referencing constants. I'm going to re-check the formulas to make sure they are accurate. Seems like the goal is to make sure SOIT and EOIT reflect the whole "injection event" from start to finish. Might have some free time tomorrow.

Still open to turbo suggestions...
    Values in the series are referencing SOIT and EOIT... which is great. However, the second set of values point to .200 and .500 - which are constants. IN the graph, it is shown as lift. I need to figure out a way to show where injection takes place relative to lift. Not sure how to do that right now

Advanced Tuner
    Values in the series are referencing SOIT and EOIT... which is great. However, the second set of values point to .200 and .500 - which are constants. IN the graph, it is shown as lift. I need to figure out a way to show where injection takes place relative to lift. Not sure how to do that right now
    Huggie (if I may be so bold to call you Huggie)... take a look. I'm showing vertical lines for SOIT and EOIT that intersect the lift curves all in relation to the peak piston velocity. Let me know what you think.

Injection timing screen shot 02.13.2017.JPG
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuning Addict
    No please don't Also really liking the spreadsheet - not sure if it matters - but can we get all 720 degrees of crank rotation with BDC and TDC designations below?

I'm actually thinking about partially using this to help design cams now You've put a lot into the illustration...

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    I'll have to look at it in more detail, but something looks off with the cam opening and closing points in relation to crank degrees?
    Last edited by GHuggins; 02-14-2017 at 08:02 AM.

~Greg Huggins~

I'll have to look at it in more detail, but something looks off with the cam opening and closing points and the eoi and soi points in relation to crank degrees? Eoi - I would think should be later than 500 with a eoi of 630 near redline?
    630-110-20 = 500?

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    630-110-20 = 500?
    Your right - wasn't thinking / I still need to double check the cam timing - is it just going off of .050"? I glanced - didn't look in detail to be honest...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GHuggins; 02-14-2017 at 08:03 AM.

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    No please don't Also really liking the spreadsheet - not sure if it matters - but can we get all 720 degrees of crank rotation with BDC and TDC designations below?

I'm actually thinking about partially using this to help design cams now You've put a lot into the illustration...
    Like this?
    GHuggins graph.JPG

Advanced Tuner
    Numbers for my cam are at .050 because I could locate the .004 or .006 values...

Tuning Addict
    Possibly getting cluttered = can we put the crank TDC and BDC points below the main graphic?

~Greg Huggins~

Yeah that's getting to be a bit too much going on IMO... I like the last file posted though.. it's def getting better with you guys working on it!

I think once the format is all setup we might could do some drop down boxes or some other way of setting what RPM each chart is for.. I think that would work better than having 20 of them for different points. Or maybe just one for every 1K RPM's or something like that once over 2K? I dunno, just thinking about it