Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First Gen Volt Tune (Volterado)

First Gen Volt Tune (Volterado)

We have decided to release our Volterado tune. We're currently tweaking the upper ethanol tables so this is not the final version, but it good enough for every day driving. Attached is the 2012 version (see attachment).

To install, you'll have to compare your stock tune with a US stock 2012 tune (see my upload in the repository) to determine what's safe to copy over to your tune and there will be limited support. For a 2012 US Volt, everything is safe to copy over.

This tune was adapted primarily from the 2014 Chevy Silverado FFV V8 (high compression) pickup by Laz.

Our tune works as-is on lower blends of ethanol (E0 to E50 and 91/93 octane premium) with/without an ethanol sensor. Using it with upper blends (E70/E85) would require the sensor or altering the first value of several multipliers. So without a sensor you're limited to lower OR upper ethanol blends and will get a CEL if you cross over. For best results or if you want a true FFV, consider adding the sensor. We're considering a lean burn (E30?) version later, which would require the sensor. See this thread for info on installing the sensor.

We tuned the LO spark table with E10, the HO table initially with 93 octane premium and continue to tweak HO with E50. Mr Comment optimized VE, injector flow rate and MAF. Laz's knock learn allows you to have optimal timing as it now properly moves incrementally from HO toward LO each time more than 1.5 deg of KR occurs. The stock Volt tune always uses timing from the HO table and just removes knock as it occurs, so never optimal timing. A lot of timing was removed from the IAT adder as it caused KR at low temps. Open loop fueling has been tweaked leaner we were seeing KR at hybrid engine restarts. One of our most recent changes was to change the alcohol multipliers from stock (0, 10, 50, 70, 80) to 0, 50, 65, 80, 100 to make tweaking higher ethanol blends more precise. If you live in a warm climate and have access to ethanol blends over 90%, we'd be interested in how that works out for you.

Octane in the US now ranges from 87 (E10) to 96-98 (E85). Premium fuel is 91 octane in the north and 93 is common at sea level. These were the fuels we used to tune.

What's not tested? Blends above E70 (for this version), and high altitudes, although that should change soon as one of our members lives near the mountains.

The fan settings (Laz) turn off the engine cooling fans when the vehicle is moving and have been tested in Florida summers.
    Driver Demand settings (Laz) are a more sport-like throttle change to all driving modes.

This is a work in progress and there will be future updates.

This is one of the best Volt tunes you're going to see.

Credit goes to LazMan and MrComment for their hard work. Please do not bug them for support.

This tune is obsolete. Please don't flash it.

Attachment 66876
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by TownDrunk; 09-14-2017 at 04:40 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Neat to see people tinkering. I have a 2013 and haven't seen a lot of info on tuning them.
    Couple comments/questions.

- Why does your file have 2 cams enabled in VVT? Did the motors change? My 2013 has 1 enabled in the file. Verified with a 2015 file off repository. This may be a stupid question
    - Have you experimented with lowering the O2 sensor switch points? Most vehicles I can find a little mpg by just leaning it out there but sometimes you cause a lean tip in or hesitation. IE drop 450mv to 425 or 400mv.
    - How did you come up with your max numbers for driver demand? (See below)

I spent several hours on a dyno with mine. I found that you could extend torque to a hair higher mph before it dropped off, but increasing driver demand above the max stock value did not add any power. Logging all the tq management pids it would say "hybrid" as the source. On the stock tune the demand drops in the 50mph (X axis is vss) and higher cells. On the stock demand table the source switches to driver demand. If you increase those values it will carry the power curve a hair higher but then the hybrid source comes back and caps it again.

Not sure if that hybrid limit is from another controller or just another one we can't see like Trans Output, Front Axle, etc that you normally just increase.

Thanks
    Capture.JPG

AFAIK, the motors are the same, but since my 2012 stock tune had 2 cams, we chose to keep it that way, although I've driven it both ways. Brake torque limit was also a difference that we decided to keep stock.

The two Volt files in the repository are ours so I've seen the differences a LOT. (Laz has the '15). One of our members has a 2013, but lost his stock tune. I'd be interested in seeing yours whether you post it in the repository or privately.

I've personally played with an EFFIE, which tweaks the o2 signal to the ECM with the goal being better mileage with E85 (which tolerates lean better), but can't speak for doing it in HPT.

The driver demand tables were Laz's creation. All I know is I prefer it over stock and it's nice to not have to switch into sport mode. Besides, I spend a lot of time in Mt. Mode since I don't have "hold" and like to leave a little EV reserve at times.

You had dyno time for what purpose? What did you tweak? One of our members, the 2013 owner, had access to a dyno, but neglected to spend much time on it with his Volt while he still worked there. His copy of HPT and his tunes, were on his company laptop when he returned it. His biggest request is to get more torque in EV mode.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the responses. I'll get a stock 13 file added. (Really want to see an ELR file)

I spend a lot of time on the dyno. Was bored one night so messed with the volt. Didn't mess with any of the gas side of the tune. All was EV. Was raising all the torque limits, trying to increase driver demand, etc. Was hoping the difference between the volt and ELR was as simple as one of those. Even tried plugging into the wall to see if there was any tiny way to squeeze more juice. Always hit a hybrid limit that we can't see in HPT.

The car would pick up @ 20hp in hold mode. You had to trick it though. You had to mash the gas hard enough for the gas motor to rev up, slow down but not a complete stop, and then make a pull while the gas motor was still at higher rpms.

Tuner in Training
    Uploaded stock 13. Not sure how long it takes to show up. It is nearly identical to the 2015.

Stock 2013 Volt Stock.hpt
    Last edited by Gabbiani; 02-23-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Thanks Gabbiani!

When I posted mine I finally noticed it a couple months later, so they must have to review them.

I assumed 2013 would be closer to 2012, than 2015.

Tuner in Training
    I'm going to do some experimenting with lower timing closer to your curve and dropping the O2 sensor switchpoint a bit.

Still don't think there is a real way to add EV power currently but if we can increase fuel range then that is a plus. I'm like 78mpg lifetime with 63k miles. Pretty good mix of both local and long range driving on the car.

I'd be interested in what values you use and how the O2 changes work out for you.

Tuner in Training
    Usually try small steps. Went from 450mv to 425mv today. I'll have @ 40 miles on gas tonight.

Betting we could go quite a bit leaner.

Potential Tuner
    Anyone had a chance to look at the ELR data? I see HPT does not list the ELR in the chart of supported vehicles. Wondering how close it is to Volt's and if there are any differences besides software and the labels stuck on the drivetrain? Went from a 2012 Volt to an 2014 ELR, noticed more power but less range on electric and less MPG on gas.
    Last edited by garymunson; 02-26-2017 at 06:11 AM.

Tuner in Training
    ^Gary - Do you have an hpt cable? Have you tried to do a read?

All of us would be interested in seeing an ELR tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabbiani View Post
    I'm going to do some experimenting with lower timing closer to your curve and dropping the O2 sensor switchpoint a bit.

Still don't think there is a real way to add EV power currently but if we can increase fuel range then that is a plus. I'm like 78mpg lifetime with 63k miles. Pretty good mix of both local and long range driving on the car.
    Laz says: It used to be common to specify O2 crossover values like 375 mv at certain airflow ranges in order to achieve a pseudo lean-cruise. However, on 2005 and forward GM cars that I've tuned I've never been able to get the ECM to pay attention to a value of less than 450 mv for O2 R/L crossover. It appears, and is a consensus among many tuners on V8 boards, that the 450 mv minimum is hard coded in the program in order to comply with Federal law.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    you can use a stoich offset with pe corrections for the zones you wish to run standard stoich but you risk whatever effects are created by running lean in the transition zone.
    so if you pe correct back to 14.7 up to 2500 rpm and run the lean stoich to 3100 rpm you risk running lean stoich in any load through the 2500-3100 rpm range.

also pe isnt usually 2 stage. you cannot isolate two completely separate zones which means your rich top end pe will be active at low throttle input values regardless of rpm.

you guys would have to decide if that method is useful to you. im not familiar with the volts like you guys are.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    ^Gary - Do you have an hpt cable? Have you tried to do a read?
    No, sorry. I do not have any HPT products. I'm hesitant to spend money only to find out the ELR won't be supported due to it's miniscule product run. We traded up from a Volt and the ELR is certainly quicker than the 1st gen Volt in both electric and gas mode. I haven't had an opportunity to drive the new Volt yet.
    Last edited by garymunson; 03-03-2017 at 10:30 AM.

We need a 2nd Gen Volt stock tune. Anyone have access to one?

Expect an update in a few weeks with VVT changes and improved mileage.

(hint: copy copy intake cam timing to exhaust and adjust LO & HO).

Laz has added Lean Cruise for 800 to 2000 rpm, but you'll need a ethanol sensor to take advantage of that.
    Last edited by TownDrunk; 05-21-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Why does your file have 2 cams enabled in VVT? Did the motors change? My 2013 has 1 enabled in the file. Verified with a 2015 file off repository.
    I found out today that with cam = one under variable camshaft, I get zero for Exhaust Cam Angle in VCM Scanner.

We're getting a real world 45 mpg on E10 now. Not bad for a vehicle the EPA rated as 37 mpg with premium gas.

Laz is still tweaking cam timing (possibly because I goaded him into trying for 50 mpg) so at least a couple more weeks before we'll be releasing a new version.
    Last edited by TownDrunk; 03-11-2017 at 08:44 PM.

The next version of Lean Cruise will have additional spark timing when lean. The current version doesn't have enough power for the rpm to be stable, so the ECM raises rpm for more power, then drops into the lean zone again. I can't wait for the newer version.