Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: First Gen Volt Tune (Volterado)

OK. I take it back. We're not talking 5 minutes of time. They'd have to read your existing tune and save it. Then take a copy of that and merge our tune into it. So we could get you a 2015 tune where everything is safe to copy. If you like sport mode, you might want to merge our driver demand settings (that get you sport mode all the time). Otherwise you can keep your existing settings for that. Since the license is stored in the HPTuners USB adapter, you'd have to use that same person again for any changes. Otherwise you'd have to purchase another license.

So when I said 5 minutes, we're probably talking closer to 10, maybe 15 minutes to read your tune, copy our tune to a copy of yours, then save it. Finally flash the optimized tune, then go for a spin to see if everything's OK. You'd need to keep both tunes (stock & modified) in a safe place (usb stick or cdrom) should you want to restore stock or change something (like driver demand or something new).

Tuner in Training

Name That Tune

Quote Originally Posted by TownDrunk View Post
    OK. I take it back. We're not talking 5 minutes of time. They'd have to read your existing tune and save it. Then take a copy of that and merge our tune into it. So we could get you a 2015 tune where everything is safe to copy. If you like sport mode, you might want to merge our driver demand settings (that get you sport mode all the time). Otherwise you can keep your existing settings for that. Since the license is stored in the HPTuners USB adapter, you'd have to use that same person again for any changes. Otherwise you'd have to purchase another license.

So when I said 5 minutes, we're probably talking closer to 10, maybe 15 minutes to read your tune, copy our tune to a copy of yours, then save it. Finally flash the optimized tune, then go for a spin to see if everything's OK. You'd need to keep both tunes (stock & modified) in a safe place (usb stick or cdrom) should you want to restore stock or change something (like driver demand or something new).
    Appreciate your thorough response. Sounds like it would be worth it for me to make the trip to have someone knowledgeable do the initial tune, save my stock tune on a USB thumb drive, then if another updated tune becomes available in the future I'd have the comfort level to have a local hotrod shop load it up. I'm planning a Fall trip to Madison Wisconsin. Are you in that area?

Ray

Sorry, that's not going to work. The license is stored in the ODB adapter that comes with the software. You'd need to update at the same place that licensed it the first time. The tune would be on the USB stick, but not the license.

I'm much further west (east side of ND). We do have a member (currently inactive) in Illinois, but I think you'd be happier with someone local.

I've got my stock file pulled and safely stowed away. Applied 2 credits and am ready to meddle! Anything you'd like me to try?
    Level 3 Master Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Ram technician
    20 years experience

Check your notifications. I sent you a message 2 weeks ago.

Tuner in Training
    Understood. Thanks for the explanation of how the tech works.

You'll love the 2015. Keep us posted.

Tuner in Training
    Will do. Christmas comes a little early this year!

Yes, yes you will. My Volt is positively belligerent with just the torque tables and driver demand applied!
    20 years experience

The Volt appears to uses Volumetric Efficiency tables in a non-standard way, possibly to determine engine load for maintaining the HV battery pack. Previous attempts to get trims closer to zero resulted in mileage dropping as engine load increased or decreased dramatically. Today Laz started working on tweaking trims via MAF and initial testing looked promising.

When that's completed we hope to re-introduce lean cruise (lean during low load 1400-2000 rpm) for about a 3 mpg increase. That should put us about 44 mpg at 70 mph.

I'm sure you know the standard way to VE tune GM cars is to disable the MAF to force the ecu into speed density mode, then disable long term fuel trims and get short term as close to 0 as possible.

Being as most MAF ecu modeling is load dependent as far as ancillary devices go, such as transmissions or in this case hybrid controllers VE tuning must be done more passively, if it's even necessary. Fuel trims of less than 5% are pretty close as is.
    20 years experience

Yes, like I said, that went badly on the Volt so we adjusted via MAF which is nearly done. Should be starting lean burn soon, then we'll try reducing engine load for the lean cruise area via VE.

Tuner in Training
    Found a hot rod shop about 25 miles away that agreed to upload the tune for me when it's released. Even better they agreed to do it cheap because it's kind of a lark for them since they typically tune LS1's.

It's a great thing you guys are doing for the Volt community. Very grateful for your blood, sweat and tears. Now that I think about it, you'd best keep liquid stuff like blood, sweat and tears away from all the delicate electronics!

Ray

Hi Ray,

Yes, that IS cool! Not much work for them either, since we have a tuner with a '15 Volt, everything is safe to merge.

Tuner in Training
    Hi Ray,

Yes, that IS cool! Not much work for them either, since we have a tuner with a '15 Volt, everything is safe to merge.
    Glad I have a MY that is covered. Many of the vehicles I've owned in the past were strange birds which had their own unique appeal, but posed challenges when modding due to low production numbers. Good to be in a "mainstream" vehicle in respect to this tuning project.

Ray

For our tunes, 2012 and 2015 are currently the active tunes. We have two 2013's, but one guy's just getting started and one isn't currently active.

No 11's, although I bet it's very similar to 12.
    No 14's, but probably nearly identical to 15.

I know 2013 introduced a LOT of change and it's closer to 2015 than 2012.

2016 is 2nd generation Volt and a lot of what we're doing could be applied, but no takers yet. Lean cruise and flex fuel would be a couple benefits for 2nd gen, but many Volt users just use EV and don't think it's worth messing with the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Monzsta View Post
    Running the engine does indeed help the 0-60 time. The battery is only allowed 110kv. I was keen to notice on my car in mountain mode with 0 battery the engine has a bit of flare, and with any a/c generator, voltage is rpm dependent, and adds to the pull noticeably. You can see the kv scale on the dash catch a bump that follows rpm. Getting more speed may be as simple as raising the rpm of the engine while it's assisting. Remember the zip cars that had the flywheel and the pull cord? I'd bet you can achieve a similar effect electrically, on a limited basis.
    I saw a thread today in the GM Volt forum stating that the 0 to 60 time of first gen Volt with ICE running was about 8.4 seconds (8.7 seconds EV only): http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....es-anyone-know

Laz remembers checking 0 to 60 with ICE running after several torque changes and the ICE was still pulling past 100 mph, even tho EV-only is limited to 100 mph. He was under the impression it could hit about 120 mph (not that I need to go that fast). He also remembers getting a 0 to 60 time (EV+ICE) of under 6 seconds, but I guess we'll have to test that to see for sure.

Potential Tuner
    When hptuners lacks a tune in the archive for a specific car
    Like a gen ii Volt, why don't they make special considerations to be able to read a tune for the archive?

Tuner in Training
    Picked up the "new" 2015 Volt today. Now all I have to do is learn how to figure my way through 5 menus to do simple things like kick the fan up a notch. Geez. Lots to learn but I've got the time.

I know this is off topic but the original Goodyear tires on this Volt are just about done so I need to replace them. Want to weigh in on what's a good replacement tire that will maximize the MPG and KWPM (kilowatts per mile - is that the right term?) but not have poor skid resistance in the rain or light snow? Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus, Continental PureContact, Michelin Premier A/S or Michelin Energy Saver A/S apparently are the leading popular candidates.

Ray

Congrats. I wish I had something newer than my 2012.

The fan up/down is on the right side. Temp up/down is on the left. The Climate on the upper left gets you there with one click.

I've got the Michelin Premier A/S and very sticky tire even when wet. I can't spin them unless I'm accelerating around a corner. Mine are an inch wider, but same height as stock. Others have done the same thing if you check out the tires section on GM Volt forum. I've decided I'll probably go with the Pirelli P7's next year, but not sure if I'll go with the wider size again, since I took a mileage hit with them.