Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: First Gen Volt Tune (Volterado)

The pin may be there already. Otherwise maybe a good pic of one of the existing pins next to a ruler?

I was told the Chevy parts guy needed to see it to order it since it could be a number of different pins. Meanwhile our tune is probably being held up by the sensor install.

It's possible you could put it on a lift and pull the ECM connector to see what it looks like.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TownDrunk View Post
    The pin may be there already. Otherwise maybe a good pic of one of the existing pins next to a ruler?

I was told the Chevy parts guy needed to see it to order it since it could be a number of different pins. Meanwhile our tune is probably being held up by the sensor install.

It's possible you could put it on a lift and pull the ECM connector to see what it looks like.
    I've got new tires going on in the next 2 weeks or so at the dealership. One of the service writers is a real Volt enthusiast so I'm sure I can enlist his cooperation in figuring out the Pin issue.

Ray

Very cool!

My service writer is at a Buick dealership and he always remembers my name. I didn't know I was that memorable.

I updated post #112 with a link to the 2012 Volt service manual and more info about the wiring. http://temp.paoberson.ch/AMPERISTE/Service_Manual.pdf

Potential Tuner
    ok my scanner and interface are up and running. Could you share your 2012 file? This is the file downloaded from my ecm. It was just updated at the dealer last week. Maybe it is different?macsfactory2012volt try3.hpt

Mac, sent you a pm 3 days ago.

Potential Tuner
    I just sent you an email.. thanks!

MickRat, sent you a pm 2 weeks ago.

Tuning is going well, but as usual, many things are an uphill battle with a Volt. Lean cruise is working great and we're getting some nice mileage gains at 1400 up to 2000 rpm. At 2000 and higher, we can't go lean since the engine is working too hard. Since lean mixtures burn slower, we're finding we need to throw a LOT of extra spark timing at those areas to make decent power, BUT we don't want spark there when the engine is cool and lean cruise is disabled. So we've had to resort to non-traditional methods to get that extra spark (work in progress). We've also started tuning for low temps.

To answer a question I had, the sensor is only needed if you're filling with something other than premium with 10% ethanol (E10). So if you prefer no ethanol premium or E30 instead of premium or higher blends of ethanol, and you can't count on that exact same ethanol % every time you fill, you'd definitely need the ethanol sensor. The sensor parts are cheap, and the fuel line fairly straightforward, but access to the ECM to wire it involves removing a panel to get access to the wiring, which I would think a performance shop might be able to do if it's out of your comfort zone. The reason for the sensor is we have to run in open loop for lean cruise and potentially you could run too rich or too lean without it. If you always fill with E10 premium, you should be good. At this time regular pump gas (non premium) isn't supported as we're running too much spark timing and filling with premium will pay for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by TownDrunk View Post
    Very cool!

My service writer is at a Buick dealership and he always remembers my name. I didn't know I was that memorable.
    Since I always go to his counter, I think he enters my license plate in the computer when I drive in to look me up.

I've been thinking about upgrading to a second gen Volt and was surprised today when I compared specs. I knew EV range was around 50 miles, but thought ICE mileage was close to 50 as well, but suspect I'm thinking of the Malibu hybrid. What I remember was the promise, 50 miles EV, 50 mpg, 5 seats. I stand corrected.

First gen Volts are rated at 37 mpg highway. Second gen Volts are rated 42 mpg highway, which coincidentally is about what we had with our tune before we started lean cruise (on 10-03-2017). So with cam tweaks and lean cruise, I suspect 2nd gen Volts could get into the upper 40's with reasonable speeds (~70 mph). The fuel used might make a difference too, and possibly changing to premium could easily get us to 50 mpg, but what I really would want is an ethanol sensor (because of open loop), but I really rather not be the first to add one to a 2nd gen Volt.

If anyone is wondering how we've implemented lean cruise, here's a nutshell version.

1. You need to be able run in open loop. This means you need to adjust MAF until you have stoich in open loop. This is the most important part since too lean means driveability issues and too rich means more knock and a mileage drop. Here's where the oxygen sensor really comes in handy.
    2. Disable the O2 sensor. O2 readiness Voltage: -2.048mV. LTFT Enable: 493F Min, -40F Max. This may cause intermittent O2 sensor CEL's so P2A00 is disabled in Engine Diag.
    3. Set your lean cruise limits (rpm vs load). Open Loop Airflow Gain vs MAP vs RPM determines how lean we go. We're currently at 1200 rpm: 0.5938, 1600 rpm: 0.7656, 2000 rpm: 0.9297, 2400 rpm: 0.9766. These numbers are only at 80 to 95 kPa. Everything else is 1.0.
    4. Set minimum ECT temp for lean cruise. Open Loop EQ Ratio Min vs ECT determines the "floor". In other words, if ECT temp is warm enough we enable lean cruise here. We phase it in starting at 168F, with full lean (0.680) from 176 to 219F. So our lean cruise is leanest starting at 176F. If the number here is higher than Airflow gain, the higher value is used.
    5. We need to make more power in the LC window (1400 to 1800 rpm, .26 to .32g cyl airmass). So add a couple more degrees of intake cam in those areas and a LOT more spark at 1400, tapering off at 2000 rpm. We're approaching 40 deg spark at 1400 rpm since that's our leanest area, mid-20's at 1600, and around 30 deg at 1800 rpm. Spark depends on cam and we've completely re-tuned cam for 1200 to 2000 rpm with exhaust cam sitting at .5 deg for this window.
    6. Finally, because we have added so much spark at low rpm, we want to remove spark when engine temp is below our 176 window. ECT Spark Advance Correction: -2 deg for 140-158F/.26-.32 (our LC window), -1 for 122/.26-.32, -.5 for 104/.26-.32.

This is probably what we'll do when we start tuning 2nd gen Volts. Meanwhile we'd be happy to work with any 2nd gen Volt owners that are interested in joining our team. Price of admission is a copy of your tune. = )
    Last edited by TownDrunk; 12-17-2017 at 10:48 AM.

Potential Tuner
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi..._comment_reply

Anyone willing to work with the guy above to install battery enhancements

Hi Rmay,

The problem is they won't let me and my brother-in-law install it over the weekend and trying to find an EV shop to install HV battery mods could be a challenge.

Also a problem is the majority our Volterado team has 2012-2013 Volts. We have only three with 2014-2015 and most of those are probably still under warranty.

Still it's a nice pipe dream and I'd be interested in hearing how it works out for anyone who tries it. Now if it was a mod that increased EV torque (faster 0 to 60 time), I bet a LOT more people would be interested.
    Last edited by TownDrunk; 02-20-2018 at 10:44 AM.

Potential Tuner
    It does increase peak power 20%

I still question why it?s impossible to mod 2013 and older

A lot of things changed in 2013 including a bigger battery capacity. The engine tune for 2014 & 2015 are identical and 2013 is more inline with 14/15 than 2012. I suspect HV battery controller may have also changed making this mod at least different enough to where they don't support it. That'd be a question for them.

Potential Tuner
    I guess mine was under warranty, until last night, when I loaded the tune

Just load your stock tune and warranty is effective again.

Potential Tuner
    Hello,
    I'm located in Europe (France) ; I'm pretty interested in your tune to use my Opel Ampera (european Volt) with E85 (I already use it with a blend of E10 and E85).
    Are there some VCM user in Europe ?
    Thanks

Hi,

I assume you don't own or have a need for HPTuners software ($500 US)? You should be able to find someone who does custom tunes and uses HPTuners software.

Raybythelake worked out an arrangement with a local tune shop for a reasonable price for each flash. I haven't heard yet if he flashed it yet tho.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by piwhy View Post
    Hello,
    I'm located in Europe (France) ; I'm pretty interested in your tune to use my Opel Ampera (european Volt) with E85 (I already use it with a blend of E10 and E85).
    Are there some VCM user in Europe ?
    Thanks
    hi i live in belgium and i work at speedshopbelgium in stekene,and i own a 2012 vhevy volt , i have tuned mine and it works fine , but for the opel ampera there is a problem , it is a difrent os used so u can not read it or write it so far sorry