Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G8 6L80 TCC not staying locked on WOT

I get what you're saying. I had it tuned like that to begin with, that's how I normally tune. I did it this way because the guy from 6l80tuning.com said to try it this way to get reported torque up using maf instead of the torque tables. Neither way works to keep the converter locked though. I'm leaning towards this converter isn't quite right for this setup. The customer has a CTS-V converter, he'll probably end up putting that in.

A buddy of mine also has a G8 with a 416, LSA blower, and CTS-V converter. I drove that this morning and logged it (still tuned in a manner you suggested) and it unlocks the converter on accel as well. I literally copied the TCC tables for the CTS-V I posted the logs for (that doesn't unlock on accel) and it didn't make a difference, still commands to 0. So, why would the CTS-V not unlock on accel? Same with your Vette, if it stays locked on accel and wot, I would think it has something to do with the OS in the G8 (maybe due to it's intended usage being more geared towards comfort vs a Vette that is performance oriented) and possibly tables we don't have access to.

I attached the old tune that was tuned in the more "normal" way, like I said it didn't change the way the converter acts though

Advanced Tuner
    If that's the case I would lean towards bad converter or mechanical problem. You could go ask in the G8 board. Some extremely knowledgable guys there. Lots in converters with no issue. Good luck an let us know what you find out.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/forumdisplay.php?f=57
    2007 Corvette C6 Vert. A6
    LME LS402, Pat G custom cam, ATI 10% OD Damper
    Circle D triple disc 2600, 3.42 Diff
    YSI, 3.0 pulley, ID 1000's
    Alky Control Meth,
    ARH 1 7/8 headers,
    1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWT @ 6000

Advanced Tuner
    seeing as the g8 is a commodore. some of the os's uses on them do stupid shit with the tcc lockup. my suggestion if you can find a compatible or close cal from a camaro. flash that in and go from there.

i had to do that with my commodore ute to stop the tcc from pulsing in normal drive mode. it would stay locked in manual mode. made no difference what i changed in the tune.

Advanced Tuner
    Having the same WOT unlock problem in a 09 G8 with a LSA on my dyno. Everything in the tune commands it to stay locked in all shift patterns and I'm commanding it locked in the VCM Scanner.

Tcc line pressure shows 594psi then goes to 0psi when I roll into the throttle for the pull.

Did you ever get this figured out?

Senior Tuner
    Have you maxed out your tcc torque limit

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    Have you maxed out your tcc torque limit
    Raised it substantially, 1150ftlbs I think, but not maxed.

TCC pressure goes to 0psi in the transition from cruise to WOT.

Senior Tuner
    Just need to rule out torque management. In the torque management tab on the ecm have you got all trans stuff there maxxed as well?
    Post or PM your tune, I'll check it. Tre-cool knows his shit, so it indeed maybe an OS quirk that you're experiencing. Let's see how far we can get here. Failing that you'll have to track him down.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    Just need to rule out torque management. In the torque management tab on the ecm have you got all trans stuff there maxxed as well?
    Post or PM your tune, I'll check it. Tre-cool knows his shit, so it indeed maybe an OS quirk that you're experiencing. Let's see how far we can get here. Failing that you'll have to track him down.
    all limits are raised, yes. I attached my current working file. It's far from complete, but nonetheless, should allow the TCC to stay locked at WOT. Next thing i plan on trying is maxing out the misfire counter as i've been told that can have an effect even though the car isn't showing any misfires, but i do think it's an OS issue.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Yeah, I reckon you're right. You've hit all the tables i'd hit. Sorry I cant help more. Tre-Cool is in Perth Australia. If you seach Just Commodores forum he can be tracked down there. I reckon he'll know an OS that will get you going.

Advanced Tuner
    So I got it to stay locked finally by maxing out the misfire tables....I never would've guessed that would do it. Two pulls back to back and it put down a lot more power.

830/760 on my mustang dyno on 180psi, 53% ethanol.

Senior Tuner
    No shit. Well done man, thanks for sharing the fix, that will help out heaps of people going forward. Legend!

Advanced Tuner
    I'm here too. :-p

I primarily use efilive for tuning my stuff, but i have hpt cables also.

I actually found in some calibrations the torque convertor regulator gain is set to 8, which = no lockup. I have no idea why, but i've come across it a few times now when defining some cal settings.