Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: L83 Throttle Body Swap and Tuning

L83 Throttle Body Swap and Tuning

Hey everyone, haven't posted in years as I haven't really done much tuning since getting rid of my '08 Vette. Now I have a '15 Silverado and see things are much more complicated than they used to be so I decided to start off slow with the mods and am going to be swapping in a 6.2l intake manifold and throttle body. Anyone have any insights they are willing to share with an old tuner jumping in to a new pond? I did a search and while some TB info turned up none of it seemed to relate to swapping them over on a Gen V so when in doubt ask the pros!

Thanks all,
    Kyle

Advanced Tuner
    I'm about to do the manifold swap as well.
    Use the stock throttle body for now. I've read swapping the 5.3 to the bigger 6.2 throttle bodies cause all types of tuning issues.
    2023 Ford Maverick 2.0T AWD

Yeah, there is some things that need to be updated, but I am not sure what on the Torque based Gen V's.

Tuner in Training
    I put an LT1 intake manifold and throttle body on my L83 and never had any issues to speak of. There is a adjustment for throttle body size and for intake manifold volume. I have read where it has caused issues for others but that was not my experience at all. I bought the Gen V course from the tuning school and followed it and all came out just fine for me.

I have adjusted those two settings per the new throttle body and manifold but wasn't sure if there was anything else that needed to be done. I am going to have to break down and buy that course one of these days. $750 buys a lot of go fast bits!

Advanced Tuner
    How do you guys feel about swapping an MSD atomic AirForce manifold instead of going with a stock LT1? Too much intake for the small 5.3?

Tuner in Training
    anybody have some info on this have hanging idle from 2000-3000rpm...thx in adv

Tuner in Training
    would u mind sharing wat i need to change, did the throttle area max & manifold volume cm3 in fuel but truck hanging in 3000 rpm when in park while revving it have to turn it off...thx in adv

Haven't gotten around to doing the swap so I won't be any help at this time.

Tuner in Training
    I have experienced some hanging of the engine speed as well. My issue seems to be specific to near the fuel cut off. I know it's stupid to rev the crap out of an engine. I get it but it seems as if the LT1 and LT4 engines don't do this. I have gone through stock calibrations over and over trying to find the table to adjust how fast the engine returns to idle relative to selected gear. No dice as of yet. I'm still looking and if I find anything I will let you guys know. Anybody have any ideas?

So you're both hanging on the closing side of actuation? For some reason I pictured it stalling at 3k not the opposite. Still a week or two out from my install as my TB and manifold are back in my shop in Oklahoma. But will keep watching this in hopes someone can help. My guess is you should probably toss your tune up here so the old hats can dig through it and see if anything sticks out.

Tuner in Training
    I'm on the fence on this because I personally don't think the trucks command enough negative torque when you let off the accelerator in park and neutral. In my mind that is what would create the snappy throttle response in park and neutral. Going up is not the problem but rather down. My hanging is no big deal it may take 2 seconds or so but my idle returns every time. I am also curious if the table to correct this is even defined yet. Try this. Check your torque pid and see what it is when it try's to return to idle. My truck is -40 to -58 ish. I'll try some vettes and camaros tomorrow.

Good to know, Mike. This is something that I consider an issue on the stoke intake setup but nothing I have messed with yet. It seems like decel is very slow on the stock L83.

Got the manifold and TB swapped over this week, along with some other stuff, updated surface area and manifold volume and then went straight into a VE tune followed by a MAF freq tune and haven't had any issues.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlech View Post
    Got the manifold and TB swapped over this week, along with some other stuff, updated surface area and manifold volume and then went straight into a VE tune followed by a MAF freq tune and haven't had any issues.
    Mind sharing the changes you made to the surface area and manifold volume?

Don't have access to the data right now but I grabbed the manifold volume from a stock L86 truck tune and the TB from a stock LT1 Corvette file. I'll try to post the specific numbers later.

Thanks,
    K

Advanced Tuner
    Damn, this whole time I thought you were doing the 6.2 LT1 car manifold.

Nope, went with the L86 manifold as the LT1 manifold turns down at the TB and the trucks have an accessory belt right there where the cars don't.

Not sure about the volume difference between the L86 and LT1.

People swapping the LT1 manifold on the L86 have been seeing gains on the top end without loss on the bottom. There is a simple solution to the TB turning down for the trucks. I don't think you'll see much benefit of the L86 intake on the L83.

I didn't do it for the manifold, I did it for the ported LT1 TB.

What is the solution for the turn down? I was under the impression it ran into the accessory belt.

Seems another issue has creeped up, it kicks in to hill decent control when letting off throttle all of the sudden, haven't dug in to it yet but nothing changed on the trans tune so I'm not sure why it's happening.