Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: L83 Throttle Body Swap and Tuning

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKE91B View Post
    I played with the stock value and the LT1 value. Didn't see any effects that stuck out all. No real difference in my mind.
    You referring to the manifold volume table? What year is your truck?
    2023 Ford Maverick 2.0T AWD

Might only be in the beta, I changed both at once and never had an issue so no clue what it effects.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlech View Post
    Might only be in the beta, I changed both at once and never had an issue so no clue what it effects.
    Did you use Beta version or latest 3.4 version?

I've only been using the beta for the last few months.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark@TuckerPerformance View Post
    Did you use Beta version or latest 3.4 version?
    Let me know what you figure out Mark. I'm using the same latest 3.4 version like you.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyChevy305 View Post
    Let me know what you figure out Mark. I'm using the same latest 3.4 version like you.
    I just requested Beta from support, and will perform read and check if that table is there or not.

Advanced Tuner
    Just a update,

I installed the L86 Intake Manifold & Throttle Body last night, very nice simple swap.

Performed read on the truck with the latest 3.6 version that was released, and there is not a Transient Tab under fueling at all and there is no Manifold Volume table anywhere else throughout the tune.

But I did start the truck up after installing the intake and throttle body and it actually idled very nicely for not doing any tuning on it at all.

So tonight I will be tuning on the truck and will update with my experiences with how the tuning goes on the 2017 without the Manifold Volume table.

Tuning Addict
    If you don't have it and HPT can't add it for you, then you have two options - tune in the transient tables themselves or tweak the TB etc scaler to fool the ecm into to thinking it's getting a different airflow volume... Neither one of these are hard to do... I honestly doubt you'll notice any transient issues without it being forced induction, so good chance you won't need to mess with any of it...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry to change subject on this thread, tuning on this truck now. But can not figure out why I can not get commanded timing to match actual timing.
    Attached is a log and the tune.

Logging all the ignition advance options to show all items that would add/remove timing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mark, I'll try to load it up tomorrow and see if anything stands out. It's a needle in the haystack when it comes to these things.

Advanced Tuner
    Well I ended up finding out what it was causing the timing difference between commanded and actual, just overlooking tables that didn't believe it would have been.
    [ECM] 12718 - VCP Humidity Adder Dry: VCP Spark modification based on humidity when humidity zone is dry.
    Engine>Spark>Advance>Variable Cam>VCP Humidity Adder Dry table, it had -2* throughout the entire table above .24g airmass.

Set entire table to zero, and fixed the timing issue I was having. It was just normal IAT/ECT advance doing the rest, which is normal
    Just crazy that it has tables like that when it obviously does not know the percentage of humidity.
    Last night while tuning on the truck, it was approximately 83% Humidity.

Advanced Tuner
    But just to share my experience with this truck, being a 2017 Silverado 5.3L.
    I did not run into any issue with not having the Transient>Manifold Volume table.

I honestly am not impressed with the results from doing the swap. After finishing the installation of the manifold and throttle body from the 6.2 trucks. I performed a pull with the stock calibration to see the results with no changes to the calibration. I lost approximately 15hp.
    So decided to start tuning on it to get it all dialed in and got the power gain to approximately 12hp over stock after figuring out my timing issue.

Let me know your thoughts on this part.
    I ended up running the Throttle Area Limits>Max Area from a Stock 6.2L Silverado Calibration, which was 4,118.0, versus the 6.2L Corvette of 4,703.9
    I never tried the Corvette setting last night, I know wish I had.
    The throttle bodies are the same part number for the 6.2L trucks and 6.2L cars.
    Do you believe that it is possibly that on the trucks or using the trucks stock setting, that the throttle is not going to is max open position?
    I do really wish I had tried the cars setting of 4,703.9 to compare for any differences.

Let me know what your thoughts are on the matter of the Throttle Area Limits.

Thank you,

Tuning Addict
    It'll lean out at cruise and get better fuel economy with smaller numbers... It'll be peppier or quicker responding with smaller numbers... This will however effect wot engine load calculations for timing and fueling and if too small it'll be too sensitive, soooo...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    Mark, what Lambda value are you seeing and how much timing did you end up with at WOT?

Advanced Tuner
    Mark, what Lambda value are you seeing and how much timing did you end up with at WOT?
    I was logging in AFR.
    Truck was running 10% ethanol 93 octane fuel(pump gas, truck was saying 9.8%).
    My peak power numbers were made while running 12.0:1 afr. But ended up leaving at 11.8:1.
    WOT timing was 22-23*.

Advanced Tuner
    So Stoich for you is hovering right around 14.10.
    Are you N/A?! Don't you think that WOT afr is crazy rich for these DI motors?

So Stoich for you is hovering right around 14.10.
    Are you N/A?! Don't you think that WOT afr is crazy rich for these DI motors?
    don't think in terms of AFR, think in terms of lambda.

12/14.1 is not the same lambda as 12/14.7

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah I know. If he ended up at 11.8.1 based off his 14.10 Stoich that's around .84 lambda.
    Wasn't it you that said in another thread we should be shooting for .88?

Advanced Tuner
    Well the reason of changing from the leanest commanded of 12.0 afr back to 11.8 afr, was I only showed a gain of approximately 1-2 hp only at peak power, the entire graph was completely the same with that same commanded timing. And being the factory had this thing commanded so stupid rich.
    Also decided to leave it that way due to still having cats on the trucks still, and also for the chance if lower than 93 octane fuel is used.

I definitely understand that I could have leaned it out more, but was not showing enough gain to say it was worth it.

Are you getting these numbers from a true Dyno or using calculated torque to see the difference?