Thread: Newbie questions about torque management

Tuner in Training

Newbie questions about torque management

Hi, I'm new here. I'm just getting into tuning my 06 sierra denali, and the first thing I want to focus on is tq management. I don't want to delete it all, as all i have is a corvette servo and would prefer to not grenade it right off the bat. My question is more how it works. So I understand that under engine torque management, you can change how much timing it pulls based on tm. My question is, does the transmission side have a different kind of tm (i.e., changing shift pressure or points) or does it just pull timing too? I took 80 percent out of the spark retard vs torque reduction, and it feels alot stronger, but if the trans uses its own tm, id like to disable that completely and let the trans do the managing.

Another question I have is if i go to trans/torque management, my normal torque reduction table is all 0s and my performance actually has values. I was under the impression that the performance table was with tow/haul enabled and normal was without it enabled. Does that mean that it has no torque management during normal mode?

Thanks for all the help and I'm happy to join the community!

Tuner in Training
    I guess it would kind of make sense if the performance mode was the only mode that enabled tm, as normally when you put it into tow/haul, you are pulling a trailer or have a heavy load in the bed. I guess I'm just looking for clarification on that.

Tuner in Training
    From my digging around, it seems that opinions on torque management vary quite a bit, so I guess it is a bit of preference. But IMO I think that it depends alot on whether or not someone is willing to rebuild and\or strengthen the transmission or other drive-line components. It seems most people that have stock transmissions and are hoping to keep the trans alive as long as possible seem to either leave TQM alone or just remove percentages. While those who are willing to rebuild\strengthen the trans seem to remove it completely.

When starting on my 05 Sierra, I found this on Black Blear Performance's website in the FAQs - "How much torque management do you typically remove? Is this what cleans up the shifts and increases responsiveness? How will this affect off-road driveability?
    Ultimately, we leave the torque management reduction up to the customer. On a mostly stock setup, we typically recommend removing 75-80% from the transmission during everyday driving mode. All engine torque management is typically removed."

And Black Bear seems to have a great reputation in the GM truck community, so I removed all engine TQM and left the trans TQM alone and figured I would go from there. Then of course I ended up with sluggish 1-2 shift, WOT 1-2 shift was horrible. That's when I noticed that the factory calibration already had the trans TQM zeroed out in normal mode, but had some while in Tow\Haul. And you're correct it does make since to have that there when hauling a load. I'm guessing that trans TQM is zeroed out due to a trucks weight over cars, but that's just my guess.

Anyway, I left my engine TQM completely removed, ETC set to 100% commanded, left my transmission settings alone, and installed a Transgo shift kit with the 093 servo. And I'm happy with it, it has quick crisp shifts now, although I'm sure some wouldn't like it, but they're firm without being harsh. And I rebuild my own transmissions so I'm not worried about it, if it goes it will just get rebuilt stronger.

Tuner in Training
    thats kinda what i figured i would do as well, if the tranny goes, ill just rebuild it tougher next time. So you basically have 100 percent tqm removed, since it didn't have any in your normal mode?