Thread: Jeep Wrangler - Hemi Swap - 3.8 to Hemi 5.7 - Getting Started

Potential Tuner

Jeep Wrangler - Hemi Swap - 3.8 to Hemi 5.7 - Getting Started

Hello folks!

So I finally finished off my Hemi swap a couple months back on my Jeep--2009 Jeep 3.8 to 2016 Ram 5.7, and picked up my HP Tuner to try and get into adjusting some of the shift points with the 545RFE transmission that I put in during the swap.

So I am trying to get some ideas on how some things work. The first thing I noticed is that displacement/engine size difference. I do see in the info bar at the bottom of the screen - "[ECM] 13512 - Engine Displacement: Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/RAM Engine Displacement. Setting this value to anything other than the stock value will disable ESP/TC." ... I already have ESP/TC manually disabled in my Jeep, so I am unsure if that would really matter anyhow. Will changing this to "5.7" affect performance in any way?

I bought the Hemi Swap Kit from Jeep Speed Shop. Part of the kit is sending in my ECM and him "tuning" it and sending it back. I contacted him a few days ago, and he said that all he really does is a "Small Diablo tune". What this really means, I am not sure. I've been reading through some of the info on the forum to try and get a feel, but I don't see a lot of people that have done engine swaps.

Any help and info would be awesome!

Straight from my ECM with no changes -022817-NewVersion.hpt

Potential Tuner
    Have you determined the answer on the displacement question. I have dyno'ed mine two times now am made some changes. Fuel and air, as well as removed WOT delay. 93 pump gas as well. I am making 268HP 2nd gear pulls at the tires with 37x13.5 4:88 gears and told by my tuner that is very respectable. I am having an issue with the JSS air box and IAT running hot and pulling timing out which I am just starting to work thru issues and have created a temporary airbox enclosure around the JSS box. My IAT is getting over 120 even with outside temps in the 50s. Mostly in traffic and stopped. But as soon as summer is here I will be right back to fighting the issue. Thinking about going to a better fan and shroud systems with a closed air box with vent to front grill.

Potential Tuner
    Unfortunately, no. I did not get a chance to test the displacement setting. I was hoping to tinker with it this weekend some, but it didn't pan out. Having an issue with pulley alignment with the 3.8 power steering pump pulley on the Hemi, it's giving me some chirping now.

I've noticed the high IAT as well, and wasn't sure how much this was really effecting performance, as I am pretty new to such things. I'm running metal fender liners, and am pretty sure that while it doesn't affect the coolant temperature very much (Based on a OBD Scanner I used before I had the HP Tuner), it keeps the IAT pretty high, but I really don't like running without having fender liners on. I've considered installing a snorkel to see how much that would improve intake temps, but unfortunately while there are a lot of people on the forums that say that it helps, I've not seen any real data to back it up.

FYI - I am running the JSS metal fan shroud/radiator from him ... it does a good job of keeping the coolant temps down.

Other considerations: I'm wondering what running those 3.8 O2 sensors in both the upstream and downstream could be affecting. This is one of the reasons why I was wanting to get the HP tuner in the first place. The other reason I wanted to get the HP tuner was because I think my shift to 2nd gear needs some adjustment.. after the shift, it seems like it's a little weak. Not sure if this means it's shifting too soon, or a pressure issue.

Glad to see someone else out there with the same set up I have. Once I get a chance, I'll do some logging/flash downloading so you can take a look if you want.
    Last edited by feroxjb; 03-16-2017 at 01:37 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HemiJKU View Post
    Have you determined the answer on the displacement question. I have dyno'ed mine two times now am made some changes. Fuel and air, as well as removed WOT delay. 93 pump gas as well. I am making 268HP 2nd gear pulls at the tires with 37x13.5 4:88 gears and told by my tuner that is very respectable. I am having an issue with the JSS air box and IAT running hot and pulling timing out which I am just starting to work thru issues and have created a temporary airbox enclosure around the JSS box. My IAT is getting over 120 even with outside temps in the 50s. Mostly in traffic and stopped. But as soon as summer is here I will be right back to fighting the issue. Thinking about going to a better fan and shroud systems with a closed air box with vent to front grill.
    I saw that you replied to my response in a different thread. Did you download my file and compare the two? Also you said that you were getting some trouble codes. What codes are you getting?

Potential Tuner
    Bumping this zombie thread. I have a JSS kit swapped JKU with 5.7 and 545rfe. About to start digging into the tune and curious how you two ended up? Changes made that helped and any to stay away from?

how is that working out .

Potential Tuner
    Hello

new here tried to post a new post
    can HP Tuner use as scan tools as well ca read & Clear Code as well ca that HP work for all Cars

i did a 5.7 swap with 8speed on my 2011 JK sahara 2door. having trouble with idle . also getting codes , IAT not reading correctly .changing my timing on the fly and making idle wrong . any help on tuning these particulary would greatly appreciated