Thread: Sound from Microphone

Potential Tuner

Sound from Microphone

I am using Trackaddict on my Android phone (Droid 2 Turbo) for my 2007 Corvette Z06. Everything works great and I purchased the RaceRender software which is amazing.

However, I now want to plug a microphone into the phone to record audio from outside the car.

I purchased a microphone that is compatible with my device. I tested it using a microphone recording app and it worked fine. However, when I plug it in and start a recording using TrackAddict, the video is still recording from the built-in microphone on my phone, and not the external microphone I have plugged in.

Additionally, if I try to run my microphone recording app first, then start TrackAddict and begin a recording it says "Video Recording appears to have failed!", and won't record a video.

So my question is, how does one get an external microphone that is plugged into the phone to record audio using TrackAddict on an Android phone? Is this possible?

Thanks.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you very much for adding the ability to switch on the Aux input when using a cellphone for audio recording.

Does anyone know of a good microphone that is compatible with cell phones? I have tried two different brand new TRSS lavalier microphones and they work fine for general recording, however when attempting to record the exhaust or sounds from the car (inside or outside) they are terrible. I have no ability to adjust the gain and it records a terrible humming noise that is likely a combination of wind, vibration (probably the biggest culprit) and exhaust. I have tried to move the mic to various locations both inside and outside of the car, but it doesn't help. The sound is horrible. I see guys with great audio recordings of their car while on the track and I don't understand how they are doing it. Maybe I need to move to an actual video camera like a GoPro or Garmin where I have some ability to filter sounds. Here is one of the mic's I tried: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone have a suggestion on a better mic? Is there any way to adjust gain or filter sounds?

Tuner
    Are you referring to the microphone that's art of a plug-in headset?

I think you can also get a microphone that plugs into the USB port, but I'm still trying to actually find one, although there are a bunch of applications for it on the Google Play store. It's ironic that you can get an application for something that doesn't seem to exist.
    After trying to record sounds as you did, using the microphone on a bluetooth headset, a USB microphone has to be better, and some Internet discussions have stated that the USB microphone should have near studio-quality audio.

But for your wind-noises, some kind of windscreen could help. It's a cover that looks like a ball of foam, so you might try a piece of thin foam wrapped around your microphone. Maybe a cheap foam sponge with a slit cut int it...

Maybe there's somtehing wrong with your microphone. Have you tried another one?