Thread: GoPoint BT01 Bluetooth connected to iPhone, not connected to Track Addict

Potential Tuner

GoPoint BT01 Bluetooth connected to iPhone, not connected to Track Addict

This weekend while running my BMW F80 M3, my GoPoint OBDII device could not connect to Track Addict. The GoPoint was connected via Bluetooth to my iPhone 7, yet not showing as connected to Track Addict. Can't find anything in the documentation about this. Any advice?

Need help in Dallas

The GoPoint usually works pretty easily for iPhones, but there are a few things to check:

1) Make sure that the phone's Bluetooth is turned on, it is paired with the GoPoint, etc.

2) The vehicle's engine should be running. Some vehicles will also communicate via OBD-II with only the ignition switch on, but there can be a time limit on this, so it's not always reliable. But it should always work on any OBD-II compliant vehicle when the engine is actually running.

3) On TrackAddict's "More Options" screen (accessible from its main "Setup" screen), the "OBD" option should be set to "GoPoint"

4) If you have zero OBD data channels selected in TrackAddict, that may cause some issues or confusion. The best way to resolve this scenario is to go to Setup -> More Options -> Configure OBD Data Channels, wait for it to connect and display the available channels, then you can make some selections and exit this screen.

5) If none of the above works, try going into the iOS "Settings" app, then go to Bluetooth section, and click on the little round 'i' info button to tell it to forget the GoPoint device. Then reboot both the iPhone and the GoPoint, and try pairing it with iOS again.

You can also get some more information from TrackAddict about what's actually going wrong and/or how far it's able to get. There are two places to get status info:

1) When you go to the main Setup screen and tap on the "OBD" icon, this will give you its current connection status and sometimes some helpful info if it's not connected. However, this is an instant status that will be reset upon each new connection attempt. It shows the same statuses you'd see if you watch the OBD Channel selection screen while it's trying to connect, but sometimes with a little more info.

2) From Setup -> More Options, there is a small info button under the OBD section, where you can get some more detailed connection info. This is where we usually go for diagnostic info on the OBD device connection.

Potential Tuner

Exclamation Also having TrackAddict to GoPoint OBD connection issues

I also just noticed that my GoPoint BT1 device is no longer connecting to my Track Addict app. This worked flawlessly last year. The GoPoint device does connect to my iPhone, over bluetooth, as indicated in both the settings window and the GoPoint app itself. So it appears that the phone is connected to the GoPoint device over bluetooth.

When I click on the "OBD" icon it reports "OBD Status: Not Connected". When I click on the "Configure OBD Data Channels" button in the app it just shows a spinning icon with "Not Connected" in red.

I have "forgotten" the device in the iPhone's settings window and repaired it up again to no avail.

Only thing I was doing over the winter was test out the remote control feature with my GoPro. Which worked great by the way. Figuring that that could have been the cause I removed the GoPro bluetooth device from the iPhone's setting window. But again no avail. I even deleted the TrackAddict app and downloaded it again but again no to avail.

Strange that the iPhone shows its connected to the GoPoint device but TrackAddict can't seem to find it.

Potential Tuner

Solution to the BT1 Problem

I posted my situation to GoPoint. They got back to me within a day. The problem is with a recent change that Apple made to their IOS. They requested I send the unit back to them. They stated that there was no issue with the BT1A unit. What I got back in the mail a couple of days ago was a BT1A unit. No cost to me. Have yet to test the unit.

Looks like there is potentially a second issue here... There was unfortunately a bug in our version 3.4.5 update, released early last week, which contained an unintentional and undesirable change to the GoPoint connectivity. I was able to identify and resolve that tonight, and am uploading the fix to Apple right now. Based on recent performance, I'd expect this new version 3.4.6 with the fix to complete their review process and become available to users within the next 48 hours...

When I have connection problems I hard restart the Iphone, on I7 is is Vol - and power button held for 5-10sec, reboot. Then Tract Addict OBD works fine with Gopoint. Time consuming yes. Closing track addict from home button double click doesnt help things. Hard phone reboot does.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

I too found out too late at track event at High Plains Raceway this past weekend that Track Addict on my iPhone 6 would not connect to my GoPoint BT1 so I was not able to collect any car telemetry. The GoPoint iPhone app would see and connect to the BT1 and I could see all running engine parameters, but Track Addict acted as if it could not see it at all. I was on 10.1.1 iOS and 3.4.5 of TA. After seeing this post, I updated my TA app to 3.4.6 and tried connecting to the BT1 earlier this evening. Now, TA sees/recognizes the BT1 but upon connecting to it, the app immediately crashes. I tried "forgetting" the BT1 in my bluetooth settings, then reconnected it and checked to see that the GoPoint iPhone app could connect and read engine data and it did. I then tried opening the TA app, and same thing...recognized the BT1, connected to it showing the year and make of my car, then the app crashes and closes. I will try a hard reset of the iPhone as mentioned above.

Hard restart of my iPhone as mentioned above seems to have fixed the issue after updating to 3.4.6.

Potential Tuner
    new to the track addict/BT1 family and I can't get my BT1 to connect with my vehicle. I have the Gopoint BT1 app on my phone and the track addict app. I've done a soft reset of the phone, disconnected the BT1 and reconnected but no love on OBD function in track addict? Suggestions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fast2007 View Post
    new to the track addict/BT1 family and I can't get my BT1 to connect with my vehicle. I have the Gopoint BT1 app on my phone and the track addict app. I've done a soft reset of the phone, disconnected the BT1 and reconnected but no love on OBD function in track addict? Suggestions.

Thanks
    As long as you have the latest version of TrackAddict for iOS (version 3.4.6 or newer), its OBD option is set to "GoPoint", and the vehicle's engine is running, then it should be able to connect it... You might also try testing it with the GoPoint app or other BT1-supported apps as well, to help verify that the issue isn't something with the phone/device/vehicle hardware.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    As long as you have the latest version of TrackAddict for iOS (version 3.4.6 or newer), its OBD option is set to "GoPoint", and the vehicle's engine is running, then it should be able to connect it... You might also try testing it with the GoPoint app or other BT1-supported apps as well, to help verify that the issue isn't something with the phone/device/vehicle hardware.
    Thanks I checked with the support from GoPoint and it is an issue with their product and the new IOS software. I sent the unit back to have it repaired/upgraded. I tried to connect with an Samsung S5 and it wouldn't work either.