Thread: Fighting a Mail Order tune

Tuner

Fighting a Mail Order tune

My bro has an '04 Silvy/5.3/4l60e/intake/exhaust that I have been spending some time on. He got the truck used 9 months ago, and its always run pretty ok for what it is. After looking at it, I think its a mail order tune... and a bad one at that...even I can see that theres some REALLY sloppy editing in it... tables that have about 4 or 5 rows altered and just WAY out of line with anything around it.. some tables zeroed out except for like 10 cells that have values that are near max...

I am trying to convince him to let me reset everything back to a stock .bin I got from the archive and start from there... Any reason you guys can see that I shouldn't dump this crappy tune and start over? Be harsh.. if he fights me too much..I'll show him the thread

Tuner in Training
    Post it up for us to see what's been hacked on it.
    2005 1500 CC Z71
    1997 Pontiac Grand Prix

Senior Tuner
    i prefer to start from scratch. when fighting hacks like this, you never know what else they changed, so you end up chasing some really esoteric stuipdities. with a stock tune you know exactly where you stand.

my best example was when in an hour i got a big unruly stroker with a mongo cam and a huge stall working fine just by working out the math and doing my usual changes. the car started from cold just fine. the owner's jaw dropped, and then he told me the full story about how he had it 'tuned' by 3 'professionals' (that's $1500+ total!!!) and the car surged, bucked, and never idled < 1700rpm.

all i knew about the car was fuel injector sizes, fuel pressure, displacement, and was told that the cam is worthy of even a bigger stroker.

Tuner
    Thanks guys... He called me today before I even had to get into the fight, and basically said "Ya know what, your right. Dump it."

Soon as I get my thumb drive back (left it in a friends car) I'll put his original tune up.
    2007 Mustang GT
    266rwhp 276rwftlb's. 13.6@104 stock.
    Adding a bunch of goodies and shooting for mid 12's.